DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Watercolour no more.

Interesting and something to definitely take note of.

Out of interest, precisely what kind of issues were you experiencing that were solved by a reset?
the water coloured issue. I have posted some before and after screen grabs in my post to show it off.

I'm shooting 2.7K / 30FPS / Manual IOS / Style 1/0/0 / Color Normal. I change color settings depending on the area I'm filming in. I have to admit I did not know about shooting in PAL because everything you read from DJI says use the NTSC in America. So who's ignorance is that? Not so much us the consumer aye?
You bet I'll try PAL. Pal has more to do with better color application than it does resolution. That means less post work to get good colors. This is why I'm on this forum, to find the best options in getting better video.
I found this page that has some interesting comparisons on NTSC and PAL.
NTSC vs PAL - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Last edited:
Reactions: mtnrider16
I also read on this site somewhere something that really seemed to change things for me.

I shoot in PAL being in Australia, but switching to NTSC and then back to PAL has some sort of a reset effect on the camera. After I did this images were back to amazing sharpness again. Its now one of my regular settings checks before recording. I assume the same goes for NTSC shooters, switch to PAL and back again.
this is very similar to what i was saying in my earlier post. by doing that your resetting your camera. But resetting the whole craft via the DJI assistant actually fixes it permanently in my test.

I to had the water colour issue. I spoke to DJI online they told me to do a full factory reset in the DJI assistant desktop app with the drone connected. I was very sceptical to say the least.
I took it out for a test yesterday bought the footage home and to absolute amazement the problem was completely gone. Just to be absolute sure I reset everything on the app to. Camera gimble the works. My footage has never looked so good. I did 3 flights and it was consistently good across the board.
before reset
View attachment 11580
after reset
View attachment 11581

Wow.

That is some difference. Are you seriously saying that you are using identical settings in each of those clips, and that the only difference was a hard reset of the mavic and controller??

Wow.

That is some difference. Are you seriously saying that you are using identical settings in each of those clips, and that the only difference was a hard reset of the mavic and controller??
thats it. I was very sceptical to when dji told me to do it. It worked..

didn't reset the controller just the drone and all the settings in the app. using DJI assistant on my mac.

The NTSC/PAL settings are a misnomer!! I don't know what DJI was thinking when they threw them in there. The so called NTSC simply unlocks more FPS options. The rest of the stuff you read online about NTSC/PAL used to apply when TVs were analog and indeed for analog signals only. Now all your video is digital encoded in H.264, which has nothing to do with NTSC or PAL.

What they perhaps meant, was that in Europe typically TV is broadcast at 50 FPS (although I don't believe it is mandated in any standard) whereas in the US is 60 FPS.

I'm shooting 2.7K / 30FPS / Manual IOS / Style 1/0/0 / Color Normal. I change color settings depending on the area I'm filming in. I have to admit I did not know about shooting in PAL because everything you read from DJI says use the NTSC in America. So who's ignorance is that? not so much us the consumer aye?
You bet I'll try PAL. Pal has more to do with better color application than it does resolution. That means less post work to get good colors. This is why I'm on this forum, to find the best options in getting better video.
I found this page that has some interesting comparisons on NTSC and PAL.
NTSC vs PAL - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

with gopro hero 4 black i tried filming on PAL. the video quality was horrible! so after this experience i never did this. i'm filming just and exclusively on NTSC, and i have no problem. with my mavic i don't tried PAL. but i think I will not try it.

Glad you sorted the problem - congratulations and thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

The "before" image is noise reduction gone amok. This makes me wonder if resetting the Mavic would be a good thing to do every once in a while.

Too bad, though, because those water colors could have been worth a lot someday.

Reactions: Humanparody
The NTSC/PAL settings are a misnomer!! I don't know what DJI was thinking when they threw them in there. The so called NTSC simply unlocks more FPS options. The rest of the stuff you read online about NTSC/PAL used to apply when TVs were analog and indeed for analog signals only. Now all your video is digital encoded in H.264, which has nothing to do with NTSC or PAL.

What they perhaps meant, was that in Europe typically TV is broadcast at 50 FPS (although I don't believe it is mandated in any standard) whereas in the US is 60 FPS.

Exactly, there is a lot of misinformation in this thread about PAL/NTSC. The analog broadcasting standard has nothing in common with the Mavic settings. It is solely a fps question.

As for the Mavic H264 encoder and its resulting flicker, here's a quote from a post in the r/VideoEditing subreddit
maxdreamland said:
I quickly encountered an effect in my footage that is, as i learned by now, known as I-frame flickering. which, as far as i understand, occurs because the I-frames that occur every 8 frames get more encoder bandwidth, therefore have more fine detail than the 7 P-frames inbetween. So especially in dark areas or areas with a lot of fine detail (like gras or vegetation), the limited bandwith basically works like "noise reduction" in those areas. it decides to "drop" this fine detail to save some data/bandwidth.

So you get 1 "detailed" frame with all the fine detail, followed by 7 "noise reduced" frames with less fine detail. And our eyes perceive this as flickering.

With some help from reddit i found this youtube video that explains whats happening and how you can fix it:

Last edited:
Reactions: LUPID and AyeYo
Never had the WC issue as bad as others but did have some.

Only shot one video with +1 0 0 so far but got to say it looks better already, i should of reduced sharpness a touch in post, i only use GP studio and generally just use the pro-tune setting.

It's the last 2 frames of the video that looked better (6pm sun behind) and most of this was shot with low sun in front of the camera as it was early doors (7am)

Can't wait to try again :)

Never had the WC issue as bad as others but did have some.

Only shot one video with +1 0 0 so far but got to say it looks better already, i should of reduced sharpness a touch in post, i only use GP studio and generally just use the pro-tune setting.

It's the last 2 frames of the video that looked better (6pm sun behind) and most of this was shot with low sun in front of the camera as it was early doors (7am)

Can't wait to try again :)

I'll try as well as soo as this bad wind ends.. thanks :)

Yippee! I too saw the film poets youtube and it worked for me as well. I sent my mavic back 2 times and every time it came back it was fine and then once I changed settings it went watercolor again. Also there are some very talented people people recommending and using the -1 or even -2 and getting amazing results so it was easy I think for all of us to take the bait. I was just about to ask for a full refund when I reset my settings again but this time shot in -1, 0, 0. I then went into DaVinci and set my radial blur to 52 and that really did the trick. Here is the video I shot in the very busy environment that is the forest without leaves and I think that it is as good as anyone good reasonably expect from that little camera. Also I am going to post a "before" frame (shot in DLOG at -1, -1 -1) so you can see how terrible it was before the reset, film poet advice and davinci resolve at 52.
Mavic-Video-Frame-2.jpg

Here is the Vimeo link with water color Gone!
The password is "mavic"

Reactions: AAPhoto and 4wding
When I bought the Mavic, I shoot some photos with sharpness at 0 and -1 because in almost all the forums and YouTube videos they were saying that the best settings are with sharpness on 0 or -1, when I saw the photos and before testing the video I switched immediately to +1 and I'm filming at 4K 25fps(Pal).

To be honest I didn't try NTSC because I'm living in Europe and I'm used to using Pal than NTSC. Now I just received my polarpro filter set and I'm hoping to have even more better results.

Last edited:
Reactions: TahoeTurner
Glad this is now becoming common knowledge and people are moving away from taking the advice of Youtube "experts".

I shoot in None 0/0/0 30fps and have no watercolor issues.

-1 sharpness?

haha!!!!

You never had a chance.
Yikes! Sorry I did shoot with -1. But the fix and susiquent woods example was shot at "+1"

Reactions: TahoeTurner
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78