DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Went wild and then went for a swim

Impact9

Reactions
Well my DJI mavic Pro decided to jump into the river on me tonight. I was doing a sunset shot over a river with plenty of clearance. Rivers is at least 50 to 75 foot wide here at this location. I was flying East about 20 foot over the river, it went nuts and all of a sudden it started to rise up and left and ran into a tree overhanging the river. Instant prop damage you right down in the water. The water is murky I can't see anything. Total loss as I can't find it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: avanti1963
Jeez Looeze! Bad news! No warnings, alerts, no nothing?

I have heard that when flying low (<40') over water that the sonar sensors think the water is very close and collision avoidance kicks in. I think the water reflects the sonar waves a lot more than regular ground.

Ultrasonic sensors don't work based on signal strength (amplitude). They work based on the speed of sound and measure the time of the signal to travel to the ground and back up...
So that explanation won't work...

@OP: To get more insight of what happened - is there any log file you can grab of your smart phone?

At least my flight low shows stick commands to pull right and descend down. Any clues how to export that data so I can send it to DJI?

Ultrasonic sensors don't work based on signal strength (amplitude). They work based on the speed of sound and measure the time of the signal to travel to the ground and back up...
So that explanation won't work...

@OP: To get more insight of what happened - is there any log file you can grab of your smart phone?
You might be right. It might be the visual sensors that have a problem. I think it is discussed on page 24 of the manual although they don't indicate which sensor is a problem over water.

At least my flight low shows stick commands to pull right and descend down. Any clues how to export that data so I can send it to DJI?
I think you need to start a claim with DJI and then follow their instructions. I haven't done it, but maybe someone here who has can chime in.

Without a little research I'm not sure why, but it sounds like it was goinh through the transition of RTH, for whatever reason.

I also do not know what device setup you're using, but I've noticed until a person gets use to flying with a tablet, it is VERY easy to touch any part of the screen thus activating something. I have done it myself at least 3 times is why I'm familiar with making the mistake.

Reactions: PowerT1998
I just watched your video... To start with...I believe this is something dji will cover based on what I saw in the video. Now my thoughts on what may have took place. I'm guessing you are using android setup. It seems currently 98% of all Mavic issues are related to the android 4.0.2 app. Next I'd say after you upgraded the firmware and app software that you failed to go through calibrations. It's always extremely wise to calibrate the (R/C) Remote Controller, Compass, and Gimbal. The IMU and Sensors are generally the least important in a upgrade setting. Had there been some type of crash involved, then of course calibrate everything. In your case, it seems the communication between the (A/C) Air Craft and R/C became corrupt for some unknown reason. The fact that the A/C was NOT responding properly to the R/C commands, is what leads me to come up with the above details.

There is one of the main flight logs on the device used to host the dji GO4 app. The one I'm referring to is a TXT file and located in the DJI/djiGO4/FlightRecords directory. The file will appear similar to this: DJIFlightRecord_2017-02-20_[18-20-45].txt

If you save that file, let me know and we'll look into things further.

-Frank

Btw, if you did not calibrate the compass from the new location you were at, then it's very possible the A/C was heading to the last location you flew at prior to the river.

I did do calibrations as I read a lot of horror stories about those. Not sure if I did the controller it's been crazy trying to get it updated. Where do I need to send these txt log?

You should be able to attach it to a post here just like if it were a image.

Attached flight record

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-02-20_[17-52-31].txt
    64.8 KB · Views: 27
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998