DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Went wild and then went for a swim

I looked at your .txt file and didn't see anything that would explain the crash. Hopefully one of the gurus will stop by and find something. To me it looks like your drone had a mind of it's own.

There is just not enough data to analyze what might have taken place. It is obvious the flight was corrupt. On this flight the AutoTakeoff feature was used which likely contributed to most of what took place. The Home Point was NOT recorded, nor was the RTH Altitude. And the way the Mavic came down was similar to either a lost prop, or a ESC failure.

I attached a converted from TXT to CSV file which shows most data in imperial and not metric. Use Excel to view it.

Btw, do not share the converted file with dji.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-02-20_[17-52-31].zip
    13.8 KB · Views: 9
Do you have the cached video from the camera by any chance? Would be useful to correlate against your flight record.

Also on the map it seems to show power lines across the river close to where the Mavic lost control, perhaps they caused a control problem. Have you flown there before and experienced any issues?

No I sure don't have the cached video. I filled my phone cache up with flying that day and the last flight video wasn't recorded. There was a small set of power lines (I believe it was a small double set) and I was a good 20 ft or so below them.

I looked at the CSV from Healthy Drones and I note that the height from takeoff never gets above 5 feet. I see on GE that you launched from a bridge - is it close to the water?

Was the water surface glassy?

This would lend credence to the collision avoidance system becoming confused due to the image in the water.

However, the sudden heading changes are also mysterious.

Also noted that the number of GPS sats being received dropped from a nice 15 to 13... trees?

I can't believe it's because of the power lines - AC should cancel over 3 phases - no mag field - IAC you were well past them.

Tell me: Was GPS mode locked before takeoff? (Would seem to be given the position reports).

Oh, another thought: Could the drone have tangled on some fishing line?

upload_2017-2-21_14-19-42.png

upload_2017-2-21_14-17-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-21_14-19-23.png
    upload_2017-2-21_14-19-23.png
    27 KB · Views: 41
Well my DJI mavic Pro decided to jump into the river on me tonight. I was doing a sunset shot over a river with plenty of clearance. Rivers is at least 50 to 75 foot wide here at this location. I was flying East about 20 foot over the river, it went nuts and all of a sudden it started to rise up and left and ran into a tree overhanging the river. Instant prop damage you right down in the water. The water is murky I can't see anything. Total loss as I can't find it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MavicPilots mobile app

Also adding that with the Google Earth image you have a VERY good idea where it hit. A little current travel and you should be able to fish it out close to the bank moving towards the bridge. Just get some waders and a hook on a stick and start hooking.

I would bet a kid with a mask on could find it pretty quick although it's likely pretty cold about now. Alternatively, you could paddle around and use a glass container to see clearly into the water. Possible a small fish tank. Even a pyrex casserole dish would work if your careful.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
These are farm rivers with very dense muddy water. Might dig up a monster catfish instead of a drone lol.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

There's my phantom log (yes it's a mavic)

Anyways I got an email back from DJI as follows:

Hi Dory,
Thanks for your patience.
For your claimed case CAS-467982-Y5Y9X8, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:
1) T=00-36 h=0m d=15.9m, pilot pushed the elevator up;
2) T=00-39 h=1m d=38.3m, the aircraft crashed when flying forward;
3) The aircraft could not recognize and avoid the slim limb
According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction factors. As such, we could not provide warranty service.
Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.
Best Regards,
Sophia
DJI Tech Support
DJI - The Future Of Possible

They obviously picked my initial flight commands as being the cause of my crash and ignored the 3 seconds of uncommanded flight and unresponsiveness of the mavic to my inputs. I replied back but I think if they can't see their mistake I'll have to call them instead.

Oh Alan no fishing line, that is something I look for on these bridges because I have to edit them out when I do still photography. Also if that was the case I would expect prop obstruction messages and it to be hanging from the line.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123