DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We're Screwed...

Black Hawk's are designed for heavy fire. I can't see a drone taking down one of these. I can however see one of these dismember a drone. Drone operator involved = Dotard.
Small pieces of debris in the main rotor assembly could cause enough damage to force a landing. Even if not impacted, the wake vortex from the rotors could throw the drone in any direction, including down on top on sombody’s head.

Reactions: Former Member
Actually, I just tried it again and there is a 30 second ad then it goes to the correct story.

C'mon, it's Fox - did you expect it to be normal?

Jake

I do not see what some people are arguing about. Regardless if it was a no fly zone or not, it does not matter if the drone pilot was supposed to be flying or not. Someone caused a collision with a drone and an full size aircraft and there is no one anywhere who will ever be able to say it was the aircrafts pilots fault and it was not 100% the drone operators fault. If anyone believes that the full size aircraft, even if beyond it's rules for flying, does not take precedence then they should not be flying anything. That full size aircraft is heavily regulated military or private. I could care less if the helicopter can take a hit from a drone or not, there should never be a case where we need to find out. Anyone who understands even the basics about flying knows that with the perfect storm a drone can take down some full size aircraft.... period. If you think otherwise go one day to take a flight in a two seat heli for while. The last thing you would ever want is to be in that seat watching a drone collide with the heli you are in. I guarantee when you are sitting there you won't give two s _ _ _ _ about probabilities, laws and who is right or who is wrong. It is unacceptable behavior.

Hopefully DJI refresh, won't insist on the owner returning what's left of the drone to collect on the warranty !!
Wouldn't like to have to ask for the bits back [emoji23]

Reactions: MrsTreat
This answers (at least partially) two claims often made about drones and helicopters...

1) The helicopter's downdraft isn't enough to prevent contact, and;
2) The cataclysmic destruction of the helicopter isn't guaranteed.

Glad crew is OK.

Well trained combat crews flying a multi-million dollar piece of military machinery, putting their butts on the line, and they have to worry about some ******** with a toy.
Thanks to all the responsible people here who denounce this dangerous, selfish and irresponsible act. I hope they find the the person responsible and they have a very productive meeting with federal investigators and prosecutors.

The person could even be on this forum reading this right now... [emoji15]

Actually, it could be possible this person has posted a "Fly Away" post....
You know...
" I was cruising along nicely at (cough) 400' taking some amazing shots when all of a sudden, my controller display went all crazy and just disconnected and blank! Still haven't been able to recover the drone! Any ideas? I'm sure it landed safely somewhere..."

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji23][emoji23]

I do not see what some people are arguing about. Regardless if it was a no fly zone or not, it does not matter if the drone pilot was supposed to be flying or not. Someone caused a collision with a drone and an full size aircraft and there is no one anywhere who will ever be able to say it was the aircrafts pilots fault and it was not 100% the drone operators fault. If anyone believes that the full size aircraft, even if beyond it's rules for flying, does not take precedence then they should not be flying anything. That full size aircraft is heavily regulated military or private. I could care less if the helicopter can take a hit from a drone or not, there should never be a case where we need to find out. Anyone who understands even the basics about flying knows that with the perfect storm a drone can take down some full size aircraft.... period. If you think otherwise go one day to take a flight in a two seat heli for while. The last thing you would ever want is to be in that seat watching a drone collide with the heli you are in. I guarantee when you are sitting there you won't give two s _ _ _ _ about probabilities, laws and who is right or who is wrong. It is unacceptable behavior.

He was in a no fly zone so it is 100% the drone operators fault. If he wasn’t where he wasn’t supposed to be, it wouldn’t have happened.

Really glad the crew landed safely - thats the most important thing!

I do find it funny that all the usual 'tards who come out of the woodwork to comment on posts like this claiming a drone won't damage an aircraft, or a heli's down draft would blow a drone out of the way or how there's never been a recorded collision are mysteriously missing from this post. Yeah you all know who you are! :rolleyes:

I really hope they can track down this drone pilot or someone reports him so they can throw the book at him.

At-least there are is a silver lining to this, it proves that No a drone won't take down a helicopter and probably not a plane, and proves that drone strikes are incredibly rare, at any given time there are thousands of drones flying during the day and this is the first confirmed hit? Secondly the whole now defunct registration process was just a money grab, they were lucky to recover an arm, where is the rest? Blown into pieces? Good luck getting the registration from that.

It's not like the drone pilot did it on purpose, come on, what are the odds of a Black Hawk helicopter flying exactly where you have your drone flying ?
Umm, it was you wasn't it?

First thing is, it’s illegal to fly a drone anywhere in NYC. Second, the chance of a helicopter flying in that area is VERY high since commuter, police, news, and sight seeing helicopters are constantly flying in the area, but get MUCH worse when the IN is in session.

NYC does have the option to charge the pilot with reckless endangerment which carries up to 7 years in prison. The would not hesitate to make an example out of someone.

Yeah and its illegal to drink and drive a vehicle, also illegal to use a phone in hand while driving, illegal to drive over the speed limit and the list of illegal stuff is never ending, yet 99% of drivers do illegal stuff including You !!! Just sayin

Reactions: timber73 and JMF
First thing is, it’s illegal to fly a drone anywhere in NYC. Second, the chance of a helicopter flying in that area is VERY high since commuter, police, news, and sight seeing helicopters are constantly flying in the area, but get MUCH worse when the IN is in session.

NYC does have the option to charge the pilot with reckless endangerment which carries up to 7 years in prison. The would not hesitate to make an example out of someone.
There are a lot of things that are reckless in this world but you can't be everybody's personal policeman. When you go to a party or an event do you watch everybody's drink count and then stand up and condemn them! No you pray that they make a good decision and get home safely. I can only have an effect on other people when they are in my area of influence! On construction sites and in my line of work I see loaded quad axles going down the road at 75 and 80 miles per hour I would never allow that in my company I see people swinging backhoe buckets over laborers heads I would never allow that either but when I see it I don't go on to another person's job site and tell them anything. Who am I I have no right. And they will let me know that in one big hurry. And also if that was a phantom 3 or 4 I'm wondering why DJI didn't restrict it in that illegal airspace you're speaking of and why it got so high in the first place?

Reactions: Rbruz and noimage
Reactions: dirkclod
I wonder how they identified the pilot... or did he come forward?
Is anyone checking phantom pilots and the dji forums to see if the pilot is on there

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13