DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wetsuits and legality

xxx I do see one situation in which flying in the rain might be a worthwhile endeavor. That is if there is a lot of lightening in the distance. In such a case, the pilot need only hover over his/her back yard and point the drone toward the lightening. Then take a video in that direction. Individual photos can be extracted if desired. VLOS would not be an issue.​

If anyone had done that, please post what ISO and, if applicable, other settings you used xxx
I have done this. I titled this "Nuvali Lightning Show"

In my case however, there was no rain at that time. It was at night (about 8pm) and the Mini was hovering well within VLOS and at a distance of not more than 10m away at an altitude of about 50m.

But I do admit that it was an "infraction" of our rules here since night flying, under any circumstances and for all drones, is prohibited without a permit. This rule is vague though on whether or not this is also prohibited on private property although, admittedly, the air space do belong to the government.

Ok, i was thinking you had the lights on the legs , Thanks for the Pictures.
Have you considered the Adapter Plates for the lights rather than the Velcro ?
Phantomrain.org
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
On the legs would have made it easy to use my Rain Suit.

What are Adapter Plates and how does one use them?

PhantomFandom, I hesitate to take any issue with such an esteemed Mavic Pilot Forum member. I do see one situation in which flying in the rain might be a worthwhile endeavor. That is if there is a lot of lightening in the distance. In such a case, the pilot need only hover over his/her back yard and point the drone toward the lightening. Then take a video in that direction. Individual photos can be extracted if desired. VLOS would not be an issue.​

If anyone had done that, please post what ISO and, if applicable, other settings you used.

I own a wet suit, but have not yet used it. In fact, I cannot use it at this time since I have strobes attached, with velcro, on three sides.

This is why I bought my wetsuit.

And these are pictures your were asking for ?coolstormpano (1).jpgthetwins.jpg

Reactions: Thomas B
Have not forgotten about you: These are the leg mounts,

I already have the leg mounts for my MA2. I ordered them before my strobes arrived. Then, I saw that the strobes came with velcro pad attached. Then, comparing where the strobe lights would shine with the mounts to my intended purpose, I chose to attach them to the body of the aircraft. This way, the strobes clearly show which direction the AC is flying. Mounted on the front legs may be adequet for "safety" purposes, but that was/is my desired result.
Admittedly, on the front legs, and the rear, will show if the RC is flying toward me or away. That may be sufficient.

Most of those rules you cited (3 miles of visibility, cloud clearance, etc) only apply to Part 107 operations. Flights under Section 44809 just are required to be within the line of sight.

Don't forget undet 400'. Also, you can't operate recklessly, and it would be easy to claim any flight is reckless if they don't allow 107 pilots to do it. Flying into a cloud, where rec may not be limited to a distance, flight in a cloud breaks line of sight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky