DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are we really looking for in the next generation of drones?

We have already had those things in the past, some lasted, some didn't according to consumer input. Thus DJI Quickshots, intelligent flight modes, DJI Spark had flight from phone using onscreen joysticks, the first Mavic pro had hand gestures to tell it what to do and also object tracking was introduced...then O/A and improvements on that..The Phantoms offered HDMI option for goggles, DJI Made wireless goggles with head tracking for some models...again all done in the past...you waited to long to get into the hobby :p Heck even my series loses signal it back tracks it flight path to try and acquire signal again before initiating RTH. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: hychewright
We have already had those things in the past, some lasted, some didn't according to consumer input. Thus DJI Quickshots, intelligent flight modes, DJI Spark had flight from phone, the first Mavic pro had hand gestures to tell it what to do..The Phantoms offered HDMI option for goggles, DJI Made wireless goggles with head tracking for some models...again all done in the past...you waited to long to get into the hobby :p
Probably, but I understand how companies cater to the customer base as well. I own 5+ drones of different abilities the new drones don't seem to be giving us what the old ones do... Hence why im asking what we want.

I want Uniformity in the Apps, If you own a lot of drones , you will realize what a pain it is to have to master all the different software Apps .

I dont think DJI realizes how many issues are caused just by there nonsense and menus changing and moving things.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Probably, but I understand how companies cater to the customer base as well. I own 5+ drones of different abilities the new drones don't seem to be giving us what the old ones do... Hence why im asking what we want.
I get ya, but as I said it was the customer base that deleted those unwanted features, you can't please everyone...and the majority rules with DJI, and DJI sells the most to know what people want...every one else just copies DJI some years later with bells and whistles. And as we have seen, if you want bells and whistles you buy top tier drones not the budget models unfortunately.

I want Uniformity in the Apps, If you own a lot of drones , you will realize what a pain it is to have to master all the different software Apps .

I dont think DJI realizes how many issues are caused just by there nonsense and menus changing and moving things.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Heck man, how many changes to the DJI Go/Go3 App did they make in one year? I was lost for weeks at a time trying to figure out where they did that darn setting/display on "this" release :p

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Fly app is the app going forward, put money on it.

Ahhh yeah, they just made it...not exactly a crystal ball moment worth betting on...well till the Mavic 3 comes out and they release Go5 as I can't find too many that have flown with Go 3 or Go 4 that enjoy the levels and controls given in the Fly App..it was a basic App that is just barely getting advancements on the higher tier drones since the Mavic Mini.

DJI is going to have to put quite a bit more into that App to bring it out for functionality to match it's predecessor's. I would be more willing to bet that they have enough aircraft jammed into now that it is bloated enough to actually release a "Go 5" As the premium pilots demand much more resources and adjustments than the Fly App delivers IMHO.

It would be much easier for the Engineers to pull all SDK's out of Go 4 and give it a revamp with tweaks and running a 64 bit architecture and start fresh from that point, again in my experiences. :)

Ahhh yeah, they just made it...not exactly a crystal ball moment worth betting on...well till the Mavic 3 comes out and they release Go5 as I can't find too many that have flown with Go 3 or Go 4 that enjoy the levels and controls given in the Fly App..it was a basic App that is just barely getting advancements on the higher tier drones since the Mavic Mini.

DJI is going to have to put quite a bit more into that App to bring it out for functionality to match it's predecessor's. I would be more willing to bet that they have enough aircraft jammed into now that it is bloated enough to actually release a "Go 5" As the premium pilots demand much more resources and adjustments than the Fly App delivers IMHO.

It would be much easier for the Engineers to pull all SDK's out of Go 4 and give it a revamp with tweaks and running a 64 bit architecture and start fresh from that point, again in my experiences. :)
You are dead on point we will know when the Mavic 3 comes out. But im still putting my money on the fly app being what we get going foreword. Hopefully with some enhancements ;)

I have replaced legacy software systems and I know a roadmap app when I see it.

But I have been wrong before.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
My needs are simple. I would like to be able to set up my camera settings (ISO/shutter, etc...) in the app, WITHOUT the drone being connected. I'd love for someone to call me an idiot and tell me this is already somehow possible.

I am quite happy with all my drones - P3 4K, P4adv, Mavic Air. My biggest problems are my piloting, and abilities to see interesting flight video movements. The sensor improvements have been nice, and the Mavic Air 2 increased image size is nice and tempts me, but in general there aren’t very many new features that seem useful.

My needs are simple. I would like to be able to set up my camera settings (ISO/shutter, etc...) in the app, WITHOUT the drone being connected. I'd love for someone to call me an idiot and tell me this is already somehow possible.
I don't think it's possible and you're probably not an idiot?

It would be possible.

You could set it up in the app on the phone/tablet, and it could send it to the drone as part of the initialization routine on motor start.

That would be an improvement.

What the drone does now is remember the settings from the last flight, which is often good enough. If you are using manual exposure control, all you need to do for a new flight is adjust the exposure to the new lighting conditions

I'd like the ability to hot-swap batteries. Maybe if they built a drone with a small onboard battery that could run the drone without motors for up to 2 minutes...

Someone else mentioned the ability to adjust settings without being connected to the drone, that would be awesome.

I'd like more customization options on the remote. I like the idea of being to move the Gimbal side-to-side using a wheel on the remote (instead of dragging my finger on the screen). I fly sideways a ton and would like cheat and use the front sensors when orbiting something, but without the camera seeing the landing gear or props. I'm kinda shocked DJI hasn't done more with this.

Another thing I'd love to see improved is screen brightness. I realize there are very bright screens out there but they are cost prohibitive for many drone users. Many drones are rated for 104F ambient air temperature, yet my iPhone overheats if it's sunny and 85F (even with a good sun shade).

I think it would be a good business practice for DJI to release SDK's right when a new drone model comes out. They should make it easier to modify the software of an aircraft.

A promise of which aircraft will support Remote ID through firmware upgrades.

My other wish lists are the obvious - longer flight times, true 360 degree obstacle avoidance (not just in tripod mode like the M2), and built-in 3sm Strobe Lights. Hopefully the M3 will have all these.

Just my thoughts....

Probably water and damage proof so if a bolt of lightning hits it, it won't die. Or if it accidentally collides into a tree, it just bounces off of it.

For me, No1 longer flight times from 1 battery, 45 min would be great, 1 hour would be unreal, but until we get to use re-cycled nuclear fuel cells from terminator units, that wont happen anytime soon, Occusync 3.0 & better, lower latency & bigger bandwidth like what has been done to the FPV drone, but keep improving it, stop locking the drone down, I feel like we are flying a iphone with wings, give us the option to do what we want with the hardware, too many limitations in the software for my liking, an option for lifepo4 cells with far better lifespans with regards to charging cycles, anyway, lets see what happens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu