DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do you think I captured in this video, is it a bird, plane, extraterrestrial?

@Big Bro, would you comment on the video speed? Looks normal to me.

If the speed is normal, that object is moving much faster than the ISS and other satellites.

I also think the video is slightly sped up or those tree limbs have a very "shaky" action to them? :)

I'm guessing a piece of orbiting equipment (satt etc) but not something like a meteor as it's not burning at all and not really fast enough IMHO.

Reactions: KarMann
Nah, even if the OP hadn't seen it with his own eyes unaided, it's movement relative to the moon were not consistent with a reflection. It was a meteor.

I also think the video is slightly sped up or those tree limbs have a very "shaky" action to them? :)

I'm guessing a piece of orbiting equipment (satt etc) but not something like a meteor as it's not burning at all and not really fast enough IMHO.
Interesting comments! While it's true that it didn't appear as a streak of light, I thought that was because of the unusually high ambient light which would make the dimmer 'tail' less prominent than the brighter 'head'. Also, when I've seen things in orbit, they don't just wink out in mid-flight, they continue on until the view is blocked by an obstruction. I haven't taken the time to take any measurements but with an idea of the frame rate of the video and with the moon serving as a size reference, it might be possible to estimate speed. That would be interesting to explore and address you thought on speed.

attachment-php-attachmentid-60139-d-1373347706-jpg.162676

Reactions: Eagle Eye 62
Also, when I've seen things in orbit, they don't just wink out in mid-flight...

Sure they do.

It depends on the angle of the orbit, sunlight, etc.

I have seen satellites in my area as short as 20 seconds, at it's zenith as it passed over.

Just a wisp of something and then it fades away.

It's all a matter of timing the "window" of opportunity to view it.

Here's one the apps I use to see W T Flight is up there. :rolleyes:

Reactions: MS Coast
One of Musk's satellites. I saw 5 in a row one evening and thought the aliens were getting ready to land. Apparently painting all the new ones black so we can't see them anymore.

I would say meteorite plummeting to earth .... seen them lots of times though more visible at night contrasting on the night sky, but just as prevalent during daylight. Good capture!
Same here. Here's a random one from youtube that looks very similar to the one the OP posted except a little darker outside.

Cold slow mover meteor maybe an ice ball that's why its so reflective , at 51 secs you see it loose mass just my guess :)

Cannot be a reflection because it fades as it passes behind the clouds and brightens as it reemerges.

Reactions: MA2 317
Satellite? Or just a regular airplane that appears to be moving faster because, based on the cloud speed and trees, the video is sped up.
What video did you see that looked sped up? That is normal cloud speed. If you have ever paid attention to clouds, they are anything but static. Having grown up on the west coast, I can tell you that it is the norm for the wind to be moving right along for the entire afternoon and for some time after sunset.

Same here. Here's a random one from youtube that looks very similar to the one the OP posted except a

Shot this yesterday out over the North Carolina coast. I'm curious as to what you guys think it might have been?

I would say a meteorite, but I find it odd that there is no train behind it (meteor trail). Judging by the clouds, this thing was in clear view of the sun and would normally leave some sort of dust/smoke/burning debris in its wake. At least I've never seen one at twilight that didn't. The ones I've seen leave a train that's visible for at least several seconds, some even last for minutes. We don't see it at night, however, because it's not illuminated by the sun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom