DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What does DJI consider "high winds"? Estimated wind speed would be nice.

PropSpin

Reactions
I flew my M2P with my newly acquired mini 4 (nice!) today. After climbing to 400 feet and hovering for a minute or two, I got the high wind warning. The attitude indicator did not show significant compensation being made so I ignored it. Interesting thing was that the top banner has a high wind, fly with caution warning, and I also had a high wind, fly with caution and land ASAP popup. Maybe the popup was a onetime event, but it didn't go away and I didn't manually clear it. I thought that it went away on its own, if appropriate. I've seen the high wind warnings one other time as well, with the same banner and same popup. It seems strange that the banner just says fly with caution, and the popup also says land ASAP.

Be that as it may, does anybody have any idea what the minimum wind speed is to get the "high winds" warning?

Also, it would be neat if the app gave an estimated wind speed. It should be able to calculate that when hovering and maintaining position.

Meta4 posted this a few days ago. Are there two levels of warnings?

The lower level wind warning comes in when the app calculates a wind speed of 7 metres/sec.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Meta4 posted this a few days ago. Are there two levels of warnings?

The lower level wind warning comes in when the app calculates a wind speed of 7 metres/sec.
Thanks. 15.66 mph, that's a nice little clip.
There's a "banner" type warning in the upper left part of the display that turns yellow and says "high winds, fly with caution". I've also had a red pop up below it that states basically the same thing along with "land ASAP". It can be dismissed by clicking the red x it has along the right side of the popup. So maybe there are two levels? I need to go read up on how they have this set up.

I've also had a red pop up below it that states basically the same thing along with "land ASAP". I
So maybe there are two levels? I need to go read up on how they have this set up.
Yes.. that's at a higher wind strength but I haven't found out exactly what it is.
Their high wind warning is a bit conservative.
Almost half of my flying has the high wind warning showing up frequently but you don't want to be a long way from home and downwind in those conditions.
The suggestion to land ASAP is a bit alarmist and it's not at all necessary to land if you are upwind and properly aware of the situation.
It might be a slow flight upwind but it makes for a very easy trip home again.

Thanks. 15.66 mph, that's a nice little clip.
There's a "banner" type warning in the upper left part of the display that turns yellow and says "high winds, fly with caution". I've also had a red pop up below it that states basically the same thing along with "land ASAP". It can be dismissed by clicking the red x it has along the right side of the popup. So maybe there are two levels? I need to go read up on how they have this set up.
A good place to start reading up might be your flight log from the subject flight. Upload it to Airdata and you will be able to see a nice map of your flight with the average and gust speeds at various points.

There was a comment about going into sport mode. I realize sport mode increases speed limit, but wouldn't that be net speed, accounting for wind resistance?
If so, then even in P or RTH mode, I would think it still would use all efforts possible that would also be possible in sport mode.
Unless angle is limited.

There was a comment about going into sport mode. I realize sport mode increases speed limit, but wouldn't that be net speed, accounting for wind resistance?
If so, then even in P or RTH mode, I would think it still would use all efforts possible that would also be possible in sport mode.
I find Sport mode doesn't help much when the wind is quite strong, but it burns through batteries fast.
If you are in a tricky situation, too far from home and pushing a stiff headwind, preserve your battery and avaoid SPort mode.
Get down low to get out of the strongest wind.
If all else fails look for a landing spot so you can land where you choose.

Getting into that situation does wonders for your wind planning on future flights.

Hey Meta 4, just to clarify this quote" I find Sport mode doesn't help much when the wind is quite strong, but it burns through batteries fast."

Are you saying that in Sport mode, the battery consumption increases, even with no winds? Or are we just talking fighting a headwind, while in Sport mode?

Just want to make sure I get it right... Thanks!

Hey Meta 4, just to clarify this quote" I find Sport mode doesn't help much when the wind is quite strong, but it burns through batteries fast."
Are you saying that in Sport mode, the battery consumption increases, even with no winds? Or are we just talking fighting a headwind, while in Sport mode?
Just want to make sure I get it right... Thanks!
How's your car's fuel consumption if you drive at 80 mph?
Sport mode is just like that.
In light winds Sport Mode is great but if I'm having to push into a stiff headwind, I find that it doesn't push my drone much faster than P-GPS or atti mode.
Just came back from trying it today where I had to get out to sea against a 15 kt headwind.
Sport mode made only a tiny difference in speed.
The return trip in atti mode was 3x faster though.

Sport mode is indeed helpful if winds exceed 30mph. In fact it may be the only way you can fly in such winds. It does not use any more battery than flying the same speed in p mode but will consume more battery if you fly faster. 95% of my flying is in winds exceeding 20-25mph and often Up to 35-40 Mph.

I always plan the flight going upwind to ensure that I can make it home. Here is a flight in such winds in case you are wondering how the Mavic handles high winds.

Last edited:
If you're able to combat 30mph winds in P mode and maintain speed, no need to be in sport mode.
The question is if there's a point where sport mode will give you an advantage to combat higher winds that would otherwise not work in P node. My thinking is that it will apply the needed extra thrust in P mode, even if that exceeds the calm wind speed limit.

If you're able to combat 30mph winds in P mode and maintain speed, no need to be in sport mode.
The question is if there's a point where sport mode will give you an advantage to combat higher winds that would otherwise not work in P node. My thinking is that it will apply the needed extra thrust in P mode, even if that exceeds the calm wind speed limit.
That’s what is indicated by @Meta4 experience (observations I share) from flying phantoms. It seems people often say what they think something might be or repeat what they read assuming it is fact. While sport mode has a higher top speed what people seem to be missing is that P mode will account for wind in trying to achieve a ground speed within spec.

That’s what is indicated by @Meta4 experience (observations I share) from flying phantoms. It seems people often say what they think something might be or repeat what they read assuming it is fact. While sport mode has a higher top speed what people seem to be missing is that P mode will account for wind in trying to achieve a ground speed within spec.

The key difference between P mode and sport mode is the maximum angle that the drone is permitted to use. P mode will not handle winds above 30MPH due to insufficient angle of attack. Yes I've flown in such conditions extensively with my P4, mavic Pro and now Mavic 2 pro, and what you will notice is that your drone speed will be near zero in p mode even under full throttle. That is when you need to switch to sport mode.

I once flew in conditions that frankly turned out to be too much for my Mavic Pro. I thought it was blowing 25-35 but in fact, it was clocked at 35MPH with gusts to 47 MPH. In those conditions, P mode could not even hold position and my drone drifted rapidly down wind, even with full stick in the opposite direction. My drone drifted at 15 MPH until I switched to sport mode. In sport mode, it made 2 MPH coming home and it was very difficult to land due to the crazy gusts. I had to find a spot behind a building to bring it down safely.

I no longer fly when there are gusts above 35MPH. It can handle a bit more but I avoid it these days

The key difference between P mode and sport mode is the maximum angle that the drone is permitted to use. P mode will not handle winds above 30MPH due to insufficient angle of attack. Yes I've flown in such conditions extensively with my P4, mavic Pro and now Mavic 2 pro, and what you will notice is that your drone speed will be near zero in p mode even under full throttle. That is when you need to switch to sport mode.

I once flew in conditions that frankly turned out to be too much for my Mavic Pro. I thought it was blowing 25-35 but in fact, it was clocked at 35MPH with gusts to 47 MPH. In those conditions, P mode could not even hold position and my drone drifted rapidly down wind, even with full stick in the opposite direction. My drone drifted at 15 MPH until I switched to sport mode. In sport mode, it made 2 MPH coming home and it was very difficult to land due to the crazy gusts. I had to find a spot behind a building to bring it down safely.

I no longer fly when there are gusts above 35MPH. It can handle a bit more but I avoid it these days
Yes. You must be right. It is all about the pitch angle, specifically the maximum the flight controller will allow. If that wasn’t the case we wouldn’t be able to exceed the max still condition speeds with a tail wind.

Here are some numbers from a flight today pushing straight into a 15 knot wind.
These numbers match with my observations whenever I try Sport mode to punch into a stiff headwind.
It's never shown a big boost that would allow the drone to easily go against a headwind.

In P-GPS mode 20.8 - 21.4 mph pitch = 34° - 35°
Atti mode 20.7 - 21.7 mph pitch = 35°
Sport mode 24.3 mph pitch = 39°

Yes, Sport mode flew a little faster, but not much.
I didn't consider the small speed burst enough to make up for the faster battery drain.

Return trip in atti mode speed = 60 mph pitch = -35°

can not say sbout the warnings.
but i call high wind if when i lift off and the drone is pushed three feet to the side before it can take the “homespot” photo.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi