DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What does gimbal calibration do ?

It is mostly done when the gimbal is not level anymore or centered.
I thought for sure you would know this since it has been on YouTube for a couple years.

It is mostly done when the gimbal is not level anymore or centered.
I thought for sure you would know this since it has been on YouTube for a couple years.
I believe you are talking about gimbal adjustment . Glimbal calibration is a different function in the GO APP.

Gimbal (auto) Calibration allows the gimbal processor to check the motion range of each axis and determine and set the correct offsets required to centre the camera on each axis. I believe orientation data will be taken from the IMU as a reference.

Manual gimbal adjustment can be used to correct the offsets through the App.

Reactions: tlswift58
Gimbal (auto) Calibration allows the gimbal processor to check the motion range of each axis
This is done in the "gimbal dance" at start up but in gimbal calibration, the camera just pans to the right and then left by about 45 degrees and then quickly jumps back to the center. For most of the time during calibration, the gimbal is not moving. I cant see how such limited movement can establish the limit of travel in any axes.

determine and set the correct offsets required to centre the camera on each axis. I believe orientation data will be taken from the IMU as a reference.

Manual gimbal adjustment can be used to correct the offsets through the App.
The problem is how does the glimbal know that the camera is physically pointing straight forward and level without being told by the user ?

Last edited:
@boblui for me gimbal calibration is just the camera board setting the parameters for the gimbals movement during flight, when the drone is moving and being moved around by wind during the actual act of flight , it is just setting a reference point to enable it to keep the camera steady regardless of what the drone is doing

The problem is how does the glimbal know that the camera is physically pointing straight forward and level without being told by the user ?
The camera has its own IMU, and that's what you're calibrating.

The camera has its own IMU, and that's what you're calibrating.
I know the gimbal has it's own IMU. In calibrating the IMU of the craft, it is required to position the craft in different orientations in order to load the accelerometers of different axes in turns. Just don't understand why this is not required when calibrating the IMU of the gimbal.

Last edited:
It does exactly the same, only that it can do the moving on its own since... well, the camera is on a motorized gimbal.

This is done in the "gimbal dance" at start up but in gimbal calibration, the camera just pans to the right and then left by about 45 degrees and then quickly jumps back to the center. For most of the time during calibration, the gimbal is not moving. I cant see how such limited movement can establish the limit of travel in any axes.

On the M 2 P it instructs you to place the drone on a level surface. When you do, the calibration will be accurate.

Reactions: Barbara
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki