DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happens to a Mavic in a steady 30 mph wind?

The wind speeds are computed on the aircraft I think because they are in both the DAT files when Go is running. I suspect that they are available telemetry fields, but that Litchi doesn't request/record them.
Makes sense. I was going to include that since the Air turns off OA, even if on a lost signal RTM, the aircraft knows it has encountered strong wind. Surely the MP, albeit without the ability to dynamically turn off OA, also knows there is wind even if just based on how much pitch it needs to hold position.

Still, this has been brought up about Litchi even a year or more ago. Yet it still doesn't show wind errors. Odd.

Of course one could also argue that Go4 is a bit too conservative with its wind warning threshold :). I use UAV Forecast before flight and my wind threshold is set to 21 MPH, including gusts. Granted I won't normally fly at even 20 MPH unless I really have to, after checking wind profile in UAV Forecast at my expected altitude (which I do even if no wind at ground level).

But in Go4 I get wind warnings at wind speeds well below what the Mavic can handle. That doesn't mean I ignore them, but if I know wind is acceptable I continue on, within reason. If I am suddenly inundated with wind warnings, or I can physically feel the wind picking up, I bring it home at the lowest safest altitude. I have not needed to yet, but I am ready to kick in sport mode if need be.

Mike

Makes sense. I was going to include that since the Air turns off OA, even if on a lost signal RTM, the aircraft knows it has encountered strong wind. Surely the MP, albeit without the ability to dynamically turn off OA, also knows there is wind even if just based on how much pitch it needs to hold position.

Still, this has been brought up about Litchi even a year or more ago. Yet it still doesn't show wind errors. Odd.

Of course one could also argue that Go4 is a bit too conservative with its wind warning threshold :). I use UAV Forecast before flight and my wind threshold is set to 21 MPH, including gusts. Granted I won't normally fly at even 20 MPH unless I really have to, after checking wind profile in UAV Forecast at my expected altitude (which I do even if no wind at ground level).

But in Go4 I get wind warnings at wind speeds well below what the Mavic can handle. That doesn't mean I ignore them, but if I know wind is acceptable I continue on, within reason. If I am suddenly inundated with wind warnings, or I can physically feel the wind picking up, I bring it home at the lowest safest altitude. I have not needed to yet, but I am ready to kick in sport mode if need be.

Mike

Agreed. I've dismissed wind warnings on the MP when I know that it is still within its performance envelope - although I won't let it fly far in those conditions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb