DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What if you lose GPS flying and no line of sight to return home?

No not RTH. It is on the intelligent flight mode screen and one of the intelligent flight modes.

View attachment 32693
View attachment 32694
Just another tool to use in case you lose video feed but still have an RC connection.

Could you please explain as to what exactly Home Lock does ... what is the difference between - Home Point Has Been Recorded (announcement) - and the Home Lock?

(Its too dark now, otherwise I'd go out and try for myself :D )

Cheers.

Could you please explain as to what exactly Home Lock does ... what is the difference between - Home Point Has Been Recorded (announcement) - and the Home Lock?

(Its too dark now, otherwise I'd go out and try for myself :D )

Cheers.
When home lock is activated, the right stick pulls the Mavic toward the home point, regardless of its orientation at the moment.

You could be out 1/2 mile facing 90 degrees to your left and when pulling back on the right stick it will follow a straight line back home flying sideways.

Opposite when pushing forward.

The home point being recorded is necessary for this or any other operation involving the home point such as RTH.

That’s why it’s always important to get it recorded before taking off.

if you loose video but still have RC connection.....

In other words, no video but one's device is still connected to the RC, therefore, the Intelligent Flight Modes are still selectable?

And if there is zero connection of the device to the RC, then the only recourse is the RTH button on the RC, which assumes the Home Point was recorded on takeoff?

I never fly without VLOS, but out of curiosity, what about the worst case scenario in which there is no VLOS, AC connection to the RC has been lost and also the GPS signal has been lost?

Last edited:
I never fly without VLOS, but out of curiosity, what about the worst case scenario in which there is no VLOS, AC connection to the RC has been lost and also the GPS signal has been lost?
The aircraft will land at its current location.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
In other words, no video but one's device is still connected to the RC, therefore, the Intelligent Flight Modes are still selectable?

And if there is zero connection of the device to the RC, then the only recourse is the RTH button on the RC, which assumes the Home Point was recorded on takeoff?

Correct. Correct. and like Keule said.

Well if it's ok for the Chief - it's ok for me :)

Trump Administration Expands Drone Use to Beyond Visual Line of Sight

trump.jpg

So, now you're a delivery business?

This is a bit confusing and contradicting at the same time, isn't it:
No - we talked about following scenario:
a) GPS lost, so aircraft is in ATTI mode
AND
b) C&C link lost

In that very moment (ATTI mode ) the FC has no clue where the aircraft is and where it should go to.
The only sensors the FC can rely on are the barometric sensor and its gyros (IMU).
These sensors are now used to keep the aircraft level and at altitude.

If the C&C link is active, the aircraft can still be controlled with the sticks, but the AC can/will drift with the wind.
But if the C&C link is lost (after 3 seconds) and the aircraft is in ATTI mode, it will land wherever it is.

AND
b) C&C link lost

In that very moment (ATTI mode ) the FC has no clue where the aircraft is and where it should go to.
The only sensors the FC can rely on are the barometric sensor and its gyros (IMU).

If the C&C link is active, the aircraft can still be controlled with the sticks, but the AC can/will drift with the wind.
But if the C&C link is lost (after 3 seconds) and the aircraft is in ATTI mode, it will land wherever it is.

you mean crash ? :( is the auto land when battery is low only in the app?

you mean crash ?
I mean - land - if you are above unsuitable terrain, then yes, it will most likely crash.
is the auto land when battery is low only in the app?
we are not talking about low battery settings here. It's about ATTI and link loss (the only action of fail-safe in that kind of scenario)

so it will auto land or you have to manually land it? in that condition? and yes I was asking if the battery low is in the app itself or part of the mavic?

ok that's good to know Thanks

I thought that, and believe I've experienced, that when the aircraft disconnects the drone automatically returns home. If so, you will hear the dreaded beeping noise, and the app state so

I thought that, and believe I've experienced, that when the aircraft disconnects the drone automatically returns home. If so, you will hear the dreaded beeping noise, and the app state so
Yes, if only link is lost and the bird is still having enough satellites (P_GPS), that's exact what it is supposed to do -> RTH.

AND
b) C&C link lost

What is C&C link, thanks ...

What is C&C
Command & Control

Simply said,
- the aircraft is able to receive control signals from the RC (i.e. stick movements)
- the RC receives telemetry data and a video stream

is the auto land when battery is low only in the app?
The Mavic will auto land at its current location if the battery reaches the critically low level.

FYI, the low battery and critically low battery warning settings in DJI GO have no effect on that functionality. Those settings just cause a warning message to be displayed in DJI GO when the battery reaches those levels.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre