DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is final verdict on FAA registration?

jbar55

Reactions
Hi All,

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I wish it were a sticky on the regulation forum. I ran a search too and did not see the answer right away, so don't get angry for me reposting a pretty simple question.

What is the final verdict with whether we have to register our drone with the FAA? I thought that this rule was struck down by an Appeal Court in May, but I went to the FAA's drone registration website, and it still says we have to register: sUAS Registration

Did they just not update the website yet while this goes through the Courts? Thanks.

What is the final verdict with whether we have to register our drone with the FAA?
Hobbyists do not need to register. See more details here.

Hobbyists do not need to register. See more details here.

Thanks. So the FAA has just not updated their registration website then, correct? Because they still claim you are required to register: "You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs.(250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg) and you are not flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft."

But, like you said, this requirement was struck down by an Appeal Court in May.

You need to read what it actually says on that website:

"You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs.(250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg) and you are not flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft."
It applies to non-recreational users only.

Refer to this page on the FAA's website for the rules you should be following as a hobbyist.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet