DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the general fascination with doing updates?

Anyone who has had any contact with software knows that all software has bugs and is missing features when it is released. If it were to be tested completely before release, it would take many years and 1,000s of testers. It would be more like a NASA project than a successful commercial product, and the product would cost $100,000.

Software is viewed as a triangular product, with 3 main attributes - quality, cost, and speed of completion. Pick any 2.

Every time a new release happens, the entire test cycle must be repeated, to insure that no new bugs were added anywhere.

Manufacturers hate this, but have little choice.

Reactions: maelstrom
I tend to let the folks that feel like updates are a”must”(regulations or not)be the experimental rat. Too many unknowns to be the first one on the bus. And yes, plenty of updates in the past reading material that give those people fits. DJI has no legal responsibility to list EXACTLY
what’s in the package. Father Time is the only one with those answers.
I have never had a single problem after updating firmware for my Air 2 since I bought it in 2018, in New Zealand. The issues always seem to be reported from US pilots which places more of a question mark over those updates, if they differ from other international packages. 👀

Reactions: MS Coast
JMHO. I just bought a M2 last Nov and have had several updates from DJI. I really don't like their 'vague' reasons for the update like for 'flight safety'? As a client and operator of their product, they could be more precise. I have seen videos of fellow DJI operators who have had issues after firmware updates. As for the Chinese using my drone for political reasons, I'm not concerned. There's nothing about me they don't already know and there's nothing I can offer which they don't already have access to on the internet.

I’ve never since I started had an issue and that’s with all the DJI
drones as well as the software had any issues that wasn’t fixed.
As well as my iPhones,iPads or iMac. I keep all up to date and guess
I've been lucky. Course I don’t hack my stuff so guess that means
alot. Want to be a hacker stay where members suggest. I just don’t
or need to. 🤷‍♂️
Just updated my 27” 5K iMac last nite and all is fine. 👍

Reactions: old man mavic
I’ve also yet to have an issue with firmware updates. As discussed in another thread here, if a firmware “problem” isn’t affecting everyone who uses that firmware, then the problem probably lies with something other than just the firmware itself.

One of the most well known Windows update problems was estimated to have affected less than 1% of (very vociferous) users and then only because those users had relocated some critical folders to other drives. So not a problem with the update itself, and not something that Microsoft could easily have foreseen. I suspect that it’s some similar hardware/software issue which affects a limited number of drone users after firmware updates.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh