DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is under our battery labels

4Cutekids

Reactions
The label on the bottom of all of my batteries have gotten puffy. I assumed it was just adhesive gas from the sticker getting hot over and over and made a small hole for the gas to escape but the smell was odd. Peeled back the label and the material underneath got white and is bubbling like there is air under it but is not hot to the touch. Anyone know what that is? Wondering if I need to trash all my batteries. Doesn’t seem to make sense that there would be anything important or dangerous just under those labels but who knows. No sign of adhesive in the traditional sense so it has me concerned I should not use them as I can’t account for the gas/smell. I would hope these batteries are better sealed and made then to have anything dangerous under something as flimsy as a foil label.

I figured out what the smell reminds me of. Those plastic balloons that come in a tube which we would inflate with a tiny straw as kids.

IMG_2281.JPGIMG_2282.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Pretty sure that what you’re looking at is the actual battery pack. LiPO batteries are not your usual cylinder, they are more like envelopes containing the electrodes and electrolyte. Puffed batteries are prone to failure. New batteries, or new drone due to battery failure in flight?

Reactions: Former Member
I agree with 4cutekids. Don’t use the batteries. If they are puffing they are going bad. And poking a hole in a lipo battery is never a good idea. You can easily short the battery out. Lipo batteries will burn at high temperature for a time if shorted. Many lipos will eventually begin to puff up after many charge-discharge cycles but if your charger is putting out too many amps that can also cause puffing. If your batteries are not older ones with many cycles I too would suspect a charger issue. You sure don’t want your battery to catch fire while you are flying.

If you are in the states bring the batteries to Home Depot. They accept old batteries for recycling/ disposal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spawnn