DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What steps to take when Mavic 2 Pro disconnects mid-flight

I use an iPad Mini4 on my MP plugged into the bottom connector on the RC. Every once in a while it won't connect on startup to the RC and I have found it ALWAYS connects after I remove the lightning connector from the Mini4 and re-insert it. It then connects right away.

BTW those 2 pics look like a model train layout. Awesome.

Did you have the map window onpen In the corner of the screen and was the mavic’s location and direction of flight indicated. If so then maximise the map and fly home. I often cant see my drone , even line of sight and will often use the map to come home having checked the altitude first. If in doubt add some hieght or go to max and fly back down that line. Eventually you will hear the drone and can go visual and bring it in.

Second thought check the RTH altitude is safe and turn off the remote momentarily. Reboot the Ap check plugs and turn back on. The drone should self initiate RTH and you will be powered up and ready to retake control when you can see it and before it lands. Probably seems counter intuitive. But in theory.....

.....My advice: ........
Don't trust Apple IOS especially after an update.
This is very scary. Should we avoid all iOS updates (not a good idea for other reasons)or only update iOS after a DJI Controller firmware update? For smartphones and tablets I am Apple bound and would hate to have to start again with Android.
I am cautiously learning to work with my M2P and have had no disconnect problems yet, but trying to stay ahead of the curve.
BTW this is an excellent thread, especially the “Disconnect checklist” - thanks, people.

If you are getting disconnections in flight..look to your device, you are probably overworking the processor and its giving up!...so..stop the video from cacheing in your device, have no background apps running etc..give your device an easier time to work with the powerfull GO4 APP.

I've had this occur once when using an iPhone 6+. In my case, what appeared on screen was a warning that the CPU of the iPhone was overloaded. Soon thereafter the DJI Go 4 app crashed. It may have something to do with Apple's throttling of older phone batteries. In either case I was able to bring the Mavic 2 back home since I still had RC connection. This has only happened with this iPhone and no other devices. I need to get this phone into Apple for a battery replacement.

I'm new to MavicPilots. Been flying/posting to PhantomPilots for the last couple years.

So, just got the Mavic 2 (an upgrade from my P3 4k). I went through all of the firmware/software (DJI Go 4) updates on the M2 and iPad. I was flying from a steep hilltop about 700' or so above the Potomac River in Harper's Ferry, WV (from the bluff at the abandoned hotel). I got a little more than 1/2 mile out, 200' or so above my launch elevation (clear LOS) and the DJI Go 4 app on my iPad mini (connected to the larger M2 controller USB port) indicated 'Disconnected'. No data or video feed. I'm not 100% fluent in the controller functions yet, but it did indicate the height and distance, so the controller was still connected. If I recall correctly, the RTH on the controller did not initiate RTH, but I could be mistaken. I had about 40% battery left at the time, but was obviously concerned about getting back (into a 10mph headwind) with no video/data feed. I wasn't sure of a safe troubleshooting protocol mid-flight and the best I could manage is checking my distance reading unsure of the exact orientation. If the distance was decreasing, I knew I was headed in the general direction, but it was a bit of a nail biter getting back. I got back just in time. The app never did reconnect.

So, mid-flight... what would you do to attempt to reconnect? And... what would diagnostics would you do to figure out what the problem was? Clearly there was an issue between the controller (which was connected) and the iPad/app (which disconnected). Restart the app? Replug the iPad? Replace the cable (already ordered)? I'll have to DL the flight logs, perhaps you smarter/more experienced pilots can give me a clue.

I didn't have time last night to do diagnostics. I spent an hour trying to read the files offloaded with a card reader. That required updating to Mohave OS on my Macbook. H.265 is apparently a new 'thing'. I attached some pics from last weekend's flight with my P3 4k.
This happened with mine, couldn't restart the app, found froze, rebooted, started the app again, it reconnected but it looked strange, like it booted a basic dji app. Saw the camera live view but no data.

I lost connection a few days ago while it was over the pond out back. I was not sure what was going on and freaked out a little, so I zipped it back to me and the video connection came back. That night I left it idling in the room here and the camera disconnected three times. I would leave it sit and eventually the video would return. There have been no recent changes and all things show current update status. There are times when I first power up it takes a minute or two all the way to over ten minutes for the video to start working. During this time I have an error message stating that the gimbal is disconnected. Just before the video connects, I get two popup messages. First, "Switching to Tripod Mode". Second, "Switching to P Mode" one right after the other. Now this is without touching the switch on the controller and it is set in the "P" position. There are times it takes powering up the drone 2 to 4 times before it initializes to where I get the beeps. One time it took me almost half an hour to get everything working and ready to fly. My controller was down to about 80% and I didn't even take off yet. I was not having these problems at first. They have developed.
I also have a "Internal file system error" that showed up about a week ago. I cannot format or use the internal memory.
It may be time to see what their customer service is like...
I have been getting the same kind of error messages and I don’t really know WTH is happening with both of my DJI drones. I believe it’s just part of the DJI GO 4 app and its flaws. I have to remember that I am basically flying a computer with propellers and it’s just part of the deal.

My zoom disconnects all the time around 3 bars or so. Use to worry about it, but have been able to maneuver closer in and it picks back up without problem. Also have had app crash in mid flight, I depend on the uncanny ability to hover while I restart the app and continue the flight. My biggest concern is phone response is sluggish at times to the point can't adjust exposure. But just part of the game. Still enjoy the new photo experience.

I'm new to MavicPilots. Been flying/posting to PhantomPilots for the last couple years.

So, just got the Mavic 2 (an upgrade from my P3 4k). I went through all of the firmware/software (DJI Go 4) updates on the M2 and iPad. I was flying from a steep hilltop about 700' or so above the Potomac River in Harper's Ferry, WV (from the bluff at the abandoned hotel). I got a little more than 1/2 mile out, 200' or so above my launch elevation (clear LOS) and the DJI Go 4 app on my iPad mini (connected to the larger M2 controller USB port) indicated 'Disconnected'. No data or video feed. I'm not 100% fluent in the controller functions yet, but it did indicate the height and distance, so the controller was still connected. If I recall correctly, the RTH on the controller did not initiate RTH, but I could be mistaken. I had about 40% battery left at the time, but was obviously concerned about getting back (into a 10mph headwind) with no video/data feed. I wasn't sure of a safe troubleshooting protocol mid-flight and the best I could manage is checking my distance reading unsure of the exact orientation. If the distance was decreasing, I knew I was headed in the general direction, but it was a bit of a nail biter getting back. I got back just in time. The app never did reconnect.

So, mid-flight... what would you do to attempt to reconnect? And... what would diagnostics would you do to figure out what the problem was? Clearly there was an issue between the controller (which was connected) and the iPad/app (which disconnected). Restart the app? Replug the iPad? Replace the cable (already ordered)? I'll have to DL the flight logs, perhaps you smarter/more experienced pilots can give me a clue.

I didn't have time last night to do diagnostics. I spent an hour trying to read the files offloaded with a card reader. That required updating to Mohave OS on my Macbook. H.265 is apparently a new 'thing'. I attached some pics from last weekend's flight with my P3 4k.
Did a new cable sort out your issue?
I have done the same as you and upgraded from a p3 4k , yet to fly it yet as weather hasn’t been good. From what I have read the go4 app isn’t as stable as the old go app was .
How are you find the camera coming from the p3 ?

I did get a new cable to eliminate that possibility. The problem I believe is the older iPad mini2. It's probably not powerful enough for the Go4 app. With the winter season and lots and lots and lots of rain, I haven't had the opportunity to really test it. It could also be shooting 4k in D-logM, but there may be no direct correlation given my issue is between the controller and the tablet. I'll consider other tablets over the winter. I always prefer a larger screen, but used the iPad mini2 because it's what I was using with the P3 and it also fit in the M2 controller arms. I'll likely go for a bigger tablet along with a shade box. Screen real estate is important and glare is always an issue.

The P3 4k camera is really good. Remarkable considering it's a tiny camera on a flying object. Of course, in really contrasty or low light situations, you don't have as much latitude to recover highlights and lift shadows, but quality of light is an issue with even the best cameras. The Mavic2 Pro should be a fair amount better given the big sensor and the D-logM color profile. I used in the Bahamas last month, but haven't had time to edit.

This is very scary. Should we avoid all iOS updates (not a good idea for other reasons)or only update iOS after a DJI Controller firmware update? For smartphones and tablets I am Apple bound and would hate to have to start again with Android.
I am cautiously learning to work with my M2P and have had no disconnect problems yet, but trying to stay ahead of the curve.
BTW this is an excellent thread, especially the “Disconnect checklist” - thanks, people.
I use an iPad mini 4 (wifi only) as a dedicated device and I would only worry about huge updates.. The monthly security updates (and those from your provider if you have a cell iPad version) should be fine... It's the bigger updates to the ios software you should be concerned about. I NEVER just say "ok" and hit the update now button without seeing wth I'm updating. Lol
And on a second note I ALSO can and do use my new Samsung Note 9 to fly my Mavic Pro. Zero issues. I can fly one battery with my iPad and another with my phone that very session.
And it's nice to know I can travel super light with just the Mavic if I need/want to without carrying that confounded backpack with the goggles and the stool and the chargers and Xtra stuff and lunch and whatever else I can figure out I have to have stuffed in that backpack.. Lol. So if I want to travel light I can use my phone which I'm always carrying anyway, right?

Just saying... It all works for me.

I thought exactly the same, when seeing the pictures the first time :)
It's a picture-book type of town with historic (working) storefronts and various exhibit spaces. Very influential in the Civil War and the site of John Brown's raid. I'll have to play up the look with that toy town type of effect I see done a lot for long cityscape shots. Harper's Ferry is now my primary go-to spot for flying because there are so many cinematic possibilities. The convergence of two rivers, twin bridges, a rail station, frequent train activity, a large cliff face, ruins, paddlers, etc. The only challenge is that most of the town is a National Park as well as the cliff and much of the shoreline on both sides of the rivers. But, there's a bluff above the town that's a perfect launch spot. I can also put a kayak on either of the rivers and fly from a rock island when the weather's more amenable. I got a backlog of video to edit from the last two visits to Harper's Ferry and a short trip to Grand Exuma, Bahamas.

Anyway, I walked down to the Verizon store at lunchtime and upgraded to an Ipad 9.7. It's not the pro model, but it should be adequate to run Go4.

I had this issue yesterday while trying out a tablet instead of a phone. However, for me I suspect it was that the battery firmware was not the same as the drone or the RC. I'd updated both and kept one battery in, since the update I'd not swapped out batteries (I wasn't aware I needed to until I got home after my panic attack yesterday).

I was luck, the drone was not far away and the RC was still connected - I simply flew it home and landed it manually (I always do but normally with the camera rotated down for landing pad accuracy), there was snow everywhere so I was wandering around the aircraft making sure it was over the landing pad. Just before the disconnect I noticed an Inconsistent Firmware warning. I didn't dare fly after that though.

I can only assume that it was the firmware issue - I'd just burnt through one battery, the one with the correct firmware, with no issues at all. It was a brand new and quite expensive lead and although the tablet is old, I killed all other apps and it ran fine for one whole battery.

I've ordered a new Tablet (my old Galaxy S2 is dying anyway) and I know that my phone works ok. It's a good excuse to get a new tablet too! I've ordered a Huawei M5 Lite 10". Others on this forum have said it works fine with DJI Go 4 and it's far cheaper than a new Samsung Galaxy Tab S4!!!!!

But, the thing that caused the most panic was - this was only my third long flight.......talk about PANIC stations.

I've done another firmware update today (the new one) and this time I've made sure I've updated all my batteries too.

I've attached a couple of shots I took at a place called Castle Ring. An ancient hill fort in south Staffordshire, England.

Attachments

• DJI_0027.jpg
    DJI_0027.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • DJI_0032.jpg
    DJI_0032.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: ff22
When Failsafe RTH kicks in and drone is on the way back and radio reconnects - is it possible to interrupt Failsafe RTH? If yes, how?

When Failsafe RTH kicks in and drone is on the way back and radio reconnects - is it possible to interrupt Failsafe RTH? If yes, how?
Just press the cancel button on the RC.

Reinforces my belief that; You can read the manuals, watch the YouTubes, follow the forums, fly with caution and you're still gonna experience moments of panic wondering what to do, how to recover and not end up with critical failure/crash or lost drone. The best locations, scenery and conditions for flying don't always offer the safest flight situations.

Reactions: ff22
Just press the cancel button on the RC.
M2P remote has no cancel button.
i see in the manual what i missed - on the RTH button - 'Press again to cancel RTH'. but that presumed you pressed it to initiate RTH. If it is a Failsafe RTH - does it also work?
OK, i think i found it on other pagem, it says the same to press the RTH button again to cancel RTH. hope i will not need to test it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2p123