DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What type of heat sink compound is best.

Machineshop

Reactions
I just changed out my Mavics front arm and discovered the heat sink compound needs to be replaced, so what type is best, the hardening type, or the non hardening paste style. Also the non hardening type comes with a silver high performance additive, but is conductive. Anyone have suggestions?

Heres an old thread:

Thanks to Dirk for pointing me to the thermal compound discussion. I did a little research and found that Arctic 5 had a good Watts per mK heat dissipation. There were others and I finally decided on Nocterna NT H1 paste. I talked to the computer tech where I purchased the stuff and after describing the dryness of the OEM paste he thought that it was becoming ineffective. The compound is effective for about 3 years then it should be replaced. The next issue I had was how much do you put on. I looked at the photo of the OEM job and there was a more that what was needed. The solution was to apply a decent layer on the heat sink contact area. Putting it elsewhere would be ineffective. I did a trial application and when I separated it you could see that there was a complete contact area. And yet still no were near what the OEM amounts were, ( it looks like they overdid it) For good measure I added a small amount to make sure that it was making ideal contact. I think it’s important to pay a good price for such an important part of the controls. This made me think of others who pump up the RPM to make the aircraft into a super sport. Maybe this extra speed will exceed the heat sinks ability to keep the components cool. I’m no expert, Just my two cents.

Thanks to Dirk for pointing me to the thermal compound discussion. I did a little research and found that Arctic 5 had a good Watts per mK heat dissipation. There were others and I finally decided on Nocterna NT H1 paste. I talked to the computer tech where I purchased the stuff and after describing the dryness of the OEM paste he thought that it was becoming ineffective. The compound is effective for about 3 years then it should be replaced. The next issue I had was how much do you put on. I looked at the photo of the OEM job and there was a more that what was needed. The solution was to apply a decent layer on the heat sink contact area. Putting it elsewhere would be ineffective. I did a trial application and when I separated it you could see that there was a complete contact area. And yet still no were near what the OEM amounts were, ( it looks like they overdid it) For good measure I added a small amount to make sure that it was making ideal contact. I think it’s important to pay a good price for such an important part of the controls. This made me think of others who pump up the RPM to make the aircraft into a super sport. Maybe this extra speed will exceed the heat sinks ability to keep the components cool. I’m no expert, Just my two cents.

I used to use artic on lots of PC builds.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe