DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What was the last thing the Chinese "weather balloon" saw…

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
I live within the Class D Airspace of Langley AFB. I fly here a lot and the ATC knows me well. I was stationed here 3-different times, for a total of 13-years of my 30-year Air Force Career… When I received my part 107 license, I made sure the ATC knew it and they are happy to talk to the old Chief…

When I heard that Langley's F-22s were going be sent out to bring down the Balloon, I volunteer to do it for them with my little Mini 2 (them props is sharp…).

They don't like me getting in their airspace, up high, in the rare air, but I bet this was the last thing the Balloon saw…

Believe it or not.png

I don't really understand them blowing it out of the sky so that its equipment free fell.
If they thought it was a spy balloon wouldn't it have been better to hole it with a bullet or two and let it sink slowly ( if possible) and maybe thereby have a chance of capturing it catching it before it went into the ocean or recover it from the ocean after what might have been a slow speed landing. Then they might have been able to examine it.

Better yet it was a great chance to hand an olive branch, not a show of strength that looks and smells like Panic to the world over, but seems like shame is the game lately.

All we can do is hope to do better , as its not likely that will get another setup this good to show some class.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

I'm suspicious that they let it overfly our entire country unfettered then shot it down where all the evidence got lost at sea.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I don't really understand them blowing it out of the sky so that its equipment free fell.
If they thought it was a spy balloon wouldn't it have been better to hole it with a bullet or two and let it sink slowly ( if possible) and maybe thereby have a chance of capturing it catching it before it went into the ocean or recover it from the ocean after what might have been a slow speed landing. Then they might have been able to examine it.
Who Knows, even if the sent a couple bullets through the balloon and picked it up. And if it was a military surveillance balloon, hacking the software or recorded info could take years. And who knows, if they brought it to a sealed room off base, and then tried tampering with it, It might have exploded or even sent hacker signals out. I'm clueless. I really don't know anything. I'd say just destroy it. Even though we know it's not the balloons fault.

News reports here said GOVCO allowed it to get over the ocean off SC, and still in US waters, so it wouldn't do any harm to anything / anyone on the ground.

Reports said the balloon was at between 60,000' and 65,000', and about the size of 3 school buses !

The F22 shot it down with a sidewinder from about 58,000' I recall from the story, which has now been updated and that info removed.

The F22 has a ceiling of around 65,000' but I guess performance up in that area = less performance.
The sidewinder could obviously do the job from where the pilot fired from.

News reports here said GOVCO allowed it to get over the ocean off SC, and still in US waters, so it wouldn't do any harm to anything / anyone on the ground.

Reports said the balloon was at between 60,000' and 65,000', and about the size of 3 school buses !

The F22 shot it down with a sidewinder from about 58,000' I recall from the story, which has now been updated and that info removed.

The F22 has a ceiling of around 65,000' but I guess performance up in that area = less performance.

For some reason, I'm not too trusting of that report.

• Wow
I believe it was a Spy System and anything it tracked, photographed, or recorded was immediately transmitted up to orbiting Chinese Spy Satellites. With today's technology, they can track and record so many signals. I feel that since it was in our Airspace, it was an "invasive action."

Look, we all know that each of the major players have Geo synecious satellites in orbit over each other's countries and we all get a free pass on this since they are beyond the Kármán line.

The Kármán line is a boundary 62 miles (100 kilometers) above mean sea level that borders Earth's atmosphere and the beginning of space. But that Balloon was not that high.

How many of our balloons do you thing the Chinese would allow over their airspace?

I sure hope we had picked it up before it ever entered our Airspace and we should have shot it done then…

Remember these words, "Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it."

In Between November 1944 and April 1945, the Imperial Japanese Army launched about 9,300 balloons from sites on Honshu, of which about 300 were found or observed in the U.S. and Canada, with some in Mexico. The balloons traveled on high-altitude and high-speed currents over the Pacific Ocean, and carried an incendiary balloon weapon (a fire bomb…) The bombs were ineffective as fire starters due to damp conditions, causing only minor damage and six deaths (from a civilian incident in Oregon in May 1945). Fu-Go was the first weapon to have intercontinental range, with its flights being the longest-ranged attacks in the history of warfare at the time.

Look Familiar?

balloon.png

Now, the Chinese Balloons were more sophisticated and they had altitude and directional control with small motors to propel them.

Who knows just how extensive their "weather research" (spying) was, but one thing they did learn was just how indecisive the US can be.

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
Here come all the conspiracy theories before the actual evidence and findings actually come out. Some will obviously say they don't believe reports and such so they will continue to theorize and create conspiracies on their own beliefs which have zero information on the truth. If you don't believe your source of information then find another one.
BTW OP your Mini 2 won't get up that high and if it did the props would probably demolish once they hit the balloon. Also putting some other people to ease, a simple bullet to make it come down slow would probably not work because they have already reported that these balloons usually have an automated inflating mechanism to keep them up if a small puncture happens.
Also shooting the balloon down when they first saw it would be ridiculous. They tracked it from Alaska then over Canada then across the U.S. Nobody knew if there was a virus or any kind of chemicals on board.
Hearing people say shoot it down NOW is obviously someone who doesn't think about all the things that are possible in the situation. I think the right thing was done and thought through thoroughly.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I believe it was a Spy System and anything it tracked, photographed, or recorded was immediately transmitted up to orbiting Chinese Spy Satellites. With today's technology, they can track and record so many signals. I feel that since it was in our Airspace, it was an "invasive action."

Look, we all know that each of the major players have Geo synecious satellites in orbit over each other's countries and we all get a free pass on this since they are beyond the Kármán line.

The Kármán line is a boundary 62 miles (100 kilometers) above mean sea level that borders Earth's atmosphere and the beginning of space. But that Balloon was not that high.

How many of our balloons do you thing the Chinese would allow over their airspace?

I sure hope we had picked it up before it ever entered our Airspace and we should have shot it done then…

Remember these words, "Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it."

In Between November 1944 and April 1945, the Imperial Japanese Army launched about 9,300 balloons from sites on Honshu, of which about 300 were found or observed in the U.S. and Canada, with some in Mexico. The balloons traveled on high-altitude and high-speed currents over the Pacific Ocean, and carried an incendiary balloon weapon (a fire bomb…) The bombs were ineffective as fire starters due to damp conditions, causing only minor damage and six deaths (from a civilian incident in Oregon in May 1945). Fu-Go was the first weapon to have intercontinental range, with its flights being the longest-ranged attacks in the history of warfare at the time.

Look Familiar?

View attachment 160297

Now, the Chinese Balloons were more sophisticated and they had altitude and directional control with small motors to propel them.

Who knows just how extensive their "weather research" (spying) was, but one thing they did learn was just how indecisive the US can be.
I'm with you. This was no filming of 'Around the World in 80 Days'. The notion that it was a weather balloon is laughable and there was plenty of room for it to have been taken out with minimum risk to citizens. All the data they gathered was sent back home as it was received. And the consideration that it was loaded with some sort of bioweapon is equally as laughable. That would have gone over like a lead balloon.

• Haha
I wasn't saying it was. I was saying it should be a thought through before doing anything premature.
A little common sense can go a long ways when you wait to understand that situation. Especially when you are dealing with the security of a large population.
Wait to see what they find. Reacting to something before you know what is actually going on can help. Reacting before that can cause a chit load of problems that could have been avoided.

• Wow
Agreed. If you look at it's flight path, there are huge sections of the country where it could be shot down and have no chance of damage from falling debris.

It makes sense they might have waited so they could have more if it intact, possibly more to evaluate with a sea crash vs a land fall.
Apparently resources were in place to recover the debris.
Not sure much more info will be forthcoming, whether it was an innocent or more nefarious matter.

It was just the rollout of Chinese GrubHub food delivery service.

• Haha
BTW OP your Mini 2 won't get up that high and if it did the props would probably demolish once they hit the balloon.
Oh Wow, I guess that you did not notice the attached Screen Shot in the initial Posting of me flying my Mini 2 within the Class D Airspace of a (REDACTED) Air Force Base. Since I was flying in Sport Mode, I did not notice that the drone was already within the Airspace because I was flying so fast (465 MPH) and so high (15,650').

I took evasive action to avoid the F-22, and I quickly evaded the pursuit of the F-22 by Max climbing to 80,000' , 15,000 higher than the operation altitude the Raptor…

Now that you have been notified the some of the flight capabilities of my Mighty Mini 2. I'll have you know that information is not yet even available in " Janes All The World's Aircraft: Unmanned Yearbook"

So, I have to ask you why you would think that my props would be demolished by the skin of that balloon? I'll have you also know that my props are "special order…" They would have to be to withstand the extreme temperature generated by propelling my Drone to near Mach Speed. They were cast from a unique Vibranium-metal alloy that the Captain America's Shield was cast from by Dr. Myron MacLain.

So never fear, Balloon Busting is a no brainer…

For more Stories of LoudThunder and his Mighty Mini 2, please refer to the following link…

L 😂 L

Lt Signing off..

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon
It makes sense they might have waited so they could have more if it intact, possibly more to evaluate with a sea crash vs a land fall.
Shooting the Balloon down was no so simple TASK. The balloon would probably have a self-sealing skin, much the same as our jet fighters have self-sealing fuel tanks to prevent the loss of fuel if the fuel tank sustains damage (bullets, not missiles…). So a fighter aircraft firing a 20 mm Gatling gun at it would have little effect. And one must consider where those 20 mm rounds are going to travel to far beyond the Balloon and what damage could they cause on the ground from 60,000' up as they travel for miles.

And you need to know that the Sidewinder missile that was ultimately used to bring it down is not just a Explosive Bang, it has a warhead that is a fragmentation weapon. So not only is the shrapnel from the missile going to fall down but the missile body parts are going to be falling down. And I would hope you remember that the Balloon itself was not just a helium filled party balloon, it was loaded with all manner of equipment and structure members that would also be falling from 5-miles up.

I was in the Air Force for over 30-years and I have witnessed the 20 mm and even the 30 mm Gatling Gun in operation and it's devastating. And since I worked around the Sidewinder Missile, I had to be more than marginally knowledgeable of its capability.

Last edited:
Shooting the Balloon down was no so simple TASK. The balloon would probably have a self-sealing skin, much the same as our jet fighters have self-sealing fuel tanks to prevent the loss of fuel if the fuel tank sustains damage (bullets, not missiles…). So a fighter aircraft firing a 20 mm Gatling gun at it would have little effect. And one must consider where those 20 mm rounds are going to travel to far beyond the Balloon and what damage could they cause on the ground from 60,000' up as they travel for miles.

And you need to know that the Sidewinder missile that was ultimately used to bring it down is not just a Explosive Bang, it has a warhead that is a fragmentation weapon. So not only is the shrapnel from the missile going to fall down but the missile body parts are going to be falling down. And I would hope you remember that the Balloon itself was not just a helium filled party balloon, it was loaded with all manner of equipment and structure members that would also be falling from 5-miles up.

I was in the Air Force for over 30-years and I have witnessed the 20 mm and even the 30 mm Gatling Gun in operation and it's devastating. And since I worked around the Sidewinder Missile, I had to be more than marginally knowledgeable of its capability.

The sidewinder aspect was in my post #7, that was in nearly all reports I read and you can see it tracking to the target in videos online.
Not sure who might have posted anything about 20mm or other such cannon rounds in the thread.

I think it as a very simple task for the pilot, it was the planning for the fall and recovery that needed to be done prior to the actual task of bringing it down.

It's all about what plays better on TV. A couple of bullet holes and a slowly sinking sphere just doesn't have the Wow factor of a Sidewinder.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_