DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's new with the cinematic mode?

kykayak

Reactions
Cinematic mode in the new update sounds interesting. Can anyone tell me what it does?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

While flying today I received a message on screen that C focus will continue until switching to manual focus, or something like that. I noticed that while flying in video recording mode the camera center focuses every few seconds. I also looked to see if there was an added flight mode named Cinematic and there was no such mode nor is there any mention of cinematic mode in any of the camera setting. So, I would assume cinematic mode is when you're videotaping and with that the camera auto focuses intermittently. I like the feature.

However, upon further review there are adjustments you can make while in cinematic mode under the main controller settings/advanced settings which allow you to adjust the gain and course angular velocity range. Which again begs the question, what is this cinematic mode?

And there it is. Now showing up under the flight modes. I swear it wasn't there earlier [emoji15] Now I'll have to wait until tomorrow to discover what that's all about.

Am I alone in disliking autofocus features? The hallmark of newbie videographer is a scene where there is visible autofocus hunting going on. Set up the shot, lock it all down, take the shot. If a specific change in exposure or focus will be required during the shot, completely own the change yourself.

I would agree if it is in fact "hunting", that would not be desirable at all. I haven't reviewed my footage for today when I noticed the change but it did appear that focus locking appeared to be smooth without any hunting. However, I may not have been in tune with it every time it happened and it could have occurred unbeknownst to me.

I would agree if it is in fact "hunting", that would not be desirable at all. I haven't reviewed my footage for today when I noticed the change but it did appear that focus locking appeared to be smooth without any hunting. However, I may not have been in tune with it every time it happened and it could have occurred unbeknownst to me.
I am with you. I dislike that in autofocus the only option is semi-continuous auto-focus, meaning that it will re-focus frequently without any user control. There are instances that this will result in ugly hunting, rendering the footage useless (yes, it may be subtle but it is there).
Manual focus is something I am not interested in.
I understand and appreciate that DJI reacted to the complaints of having to set the auto-focus point, but the fix is over-done. I just would like to have auto-focus-on-command, like in previous versions (which was fine for me). Should be easy to implement (manual, single-autofocus, continuous autofocus).

Reactions: Michaelangelo
Cinematic mode in the new update sounds interesting. Can anyone tell me what it does?

Was just flying with this new mode (been a bit lazy to upgrade firmware because everything was going great).

It slows down yaw and braking, or makes it a smooth curve. You know when you let go the controls and it jerks to a halt, or hit the yaw a little too hard and the Mavic spins around like a wild tiger? It softens that down completely. Looks really nice, you can fly aggressively but still get smooth shots.
It does mean the craft drifts a bit before stopping, so be warned, it needs a few extra meters of play room.

Reactions: dmanisgnarly

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31