DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whats the best iPad mini to use on the mavic

I'd say, "none of them at the moment", if you don't currently have one but do have some other device you could use for now.

My reason for saying that, is that there is a reasonable chance that there will soon be a new iPad mini with an improved screen. The iPad mini has lagged behind the larger iPads in the last couple of years and it seems likely to me that this year it'll get an update to get a better screen. The rumours at the moment is that there will be new iPads in the spring.

So for me, I'm going to use my iPhone 7 and maybe my very old iPad mini and keep my fingers crossed for a new iPad mini with much better screen in a couple of months.

And also keep my fingers crossed that the other rumour I've heard isn't true, that they are dropping the iPad mini from the line-up :(

I would guess you have an iphone. And assume thats why you have ipads.

I have only tried one tablet and only the go4 app since i got my mavic but also no problems. I dont think app problems are related to one OS from my reading.

I use an iPad Mini 4 with cellular, I am an android phone user. I'm not an Apple fan, I hate that there's no back button with Apple. I picked the iPad mainly for its compatibility with the Mavic Pro. As much as DJI may not outright say the Mavic Pro was developed to be used with iOS products, it seems it was. You see better results with the iOS OS than Android with the Mavic. So I picked the tablet that would give me the best experience. I also got a used, mint condition one cheap.

Reactions: MavicMo
Same here. Android user, but got me an iPad Mini 4 with cellular just for flying the MP.

"Yes" and "No". I have an Iphone but that had NO bearing on why I chose an Ipad. I'll admit I'm in the fortunate situation where I'm not financially constrained in my choices, so I don't have to pick the least expensive tablet but can instead and do choose the "best working" tablet.

I came close to buying an Invidia Shield but there weren't enough user out there at the time that assured me it would work completely and I also wanted the larger screen only available with an Ipad Air. Also when watching videos and reading through forums, it seemed the Ipads were the least problematic (going back to my Phantom 3) compared to Android based devices.

I also follow that motto; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Since the Ipad Air gave me very few issues (occasional momentary lag, occasional momentary partial green screen, momentary occasional freeze), it never locked up, completely lost feed, or anything that had me fear I was going to lose my drone, I bought an Ipad Mini 4 for dedicated use with my Mavic Pro.

My Ipad Air and Ipad Mini 4 are strictly dedicated to flying my DJI drones. Both Ipads only have the bare minimum apps on them. Meaning whatever comes with the Ipads, UAV Forecast, B4uFly, Go App, and the Go App 4. Thats it. No music, no email, nothing that is synced or shared with my Iphone. While I have loaded both GO apps on my Ipad Pro 12.9 that was simply to see what the camera image looked like on a large screen.

So I don't understand your point unless you are trying to imply I'm an Apple Fan-boy which if putting a label on something/someone makes you happy so be it...

I would guess you have an iphone. And assume thats why you have ipads.

I have only tried one tablet and only the go4 app since i got my mavic but also no problems. I dont think app problems are related to one OS from my reading.

None of the (apple) screens are really good in direct sunlight. Not meaning sunlight directly on the screen like its over your shoulder. While the Ipad Mini 4 is good its not great. With a sunshade like the Hoodman, its very good.

With my Ipad Air (comparable to the Mini 2), I did find a company that made a "screen" you put over the glass which reduced glare. It did a really good job in that it put it on equal footing with the Mini 4 as far as visibility in sunlight. The one problem with it, was whatever material they use does not completely lay flat at some of the edges meaning I have some small air bubbles you can see. But it works.

I've yet to see/find any tablet that can be used in without a sunshade in bright sunlight.

How is the iPad mini 2 in sunlight with no shade? Is it worth getting the 4 for the better screen?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
None of the (apple) screens are really good in direct sunlight. Not meaning sunlight directly on the screen like its over your shoulder. While the Ipad Mini 4 is good its not great. With a sunshade like the Hoodman, its very good.

With my Ipad Air (comparable to the Mini 2), I did find a company that made a "screen" you put over the glass which reduced glare. It did a really good job in that it put it on equal footing with the Mini 4 as far as visibility in sunlight. The one problem with it, was whatever material they use does not completely lay flat at some of the edges meaning I have some small air bubbles you can see. But it works.

I've yet to see/find any tablet that can be used in without a sunshade in bright sunlight.

Thank you for the detailed response. It sounds like I'm better off using my iPhone 7 plus. Here in northeast pa I haven't seen the sun in a long time, lol.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Ordered a iPad mini 4 to use exclusively for my Mavic Pro curious has anyone had success using polarized glasses in direct sunlight to improve visibility of the screen?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Looks like I will be going with a IPAD mini 4 for my Mavic Pro!!

Just make sure you close all other running tasks before you launch DJI GO 4, and I always do a reboot before that. The iPad Mini 4 is an older, slower processor.

I don't expect it to happen, and neither do the "experts", but I REALLY wish that Apple would make an updated iPad Mini 5 or iPad Mini Pro or iPad Mini Whatever... I use my iPad Pro 10.5 with a MavMount and a Hoodman sun shade the majority of the time, but the iPad Mini 4 fits in the remote so nicely. Both the small and the larger form factors have their advantages in other daily use, as well.

Reactions: FLPilotshark
Just make sure you close all other running tasks before you launch DJI GO 4, and I always do a reboot before that. The iPad Mini 4 is an older, slower processor.

I don't expect it to happen, and neither do the "experts", but I REALLY wish that Apple would make an updated iPad Mini 5 or iPad Mini Pro or iPad Mini Whatever... I use my iPad Pro 10.5 with a MavMount and a Hoodman sun shade the majority of the time, but the iPad Mini 4 fits in the remote so nicely. Both the small and the larger form factors have their advantages in other daily use, as well.

mANY THANKS @LakeTravis FOR THE TIPS MATE!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54