DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the fastest way to get LAANC approval?

Really, for your first flights, you need to take things slowly and operate carefully in a very controlled, limited way. Stay far away from trees. Don't get anywhere near controlled airspace. Find someplace with a big, open space, no trees, buildings, other obstructions, or people to distract you. Go fly around there and get a feel for things, learn about the different settings. Learn about how the wind (and other conditions) can have a big impact on your flight.

I know, you're excited to get going and do amazing things. Resist that temptation. You need to get some of the basics down before you start complicating things. Learning the basics actually takes some time and practice - more than you think. You can't skip that.

Read the manual. Start small. Go slow. Take baby steps. You will be glad you did.
Good advice! I’d like to add electric wires to the list of drone killers.

I agree with all that has been said above. Like most pilots I have had the occasional run-in with a tree even when not in a forest. Even with VLOS you have to remember that your perception of where the drone is will be affected by your point of view and you may think your drone is safe when it is not. Get into the open and practice.

I’m short on time now so didn’t read every post. Did anyone mention B4UFly? If not, it’s a simple app that can direct you to a site where you can get LAANC if needed.
I didn't see any mention of B4UFly, so good mention. However, I tried it when it first came out and is was such a piece of crap, I've never bothered to revisit it. I see a lot of people use it now, so it must be OK. I used to use AirMap, but they seem to have fallen out of favor with the FAA, so I recently switched to Aloft, which became Air Control. I think AirMap was simpler to use, but I like Air Control just fine.

You are new at this, if you have an issue, you do not know what to do. You probably can not fly your drone very well and you probably think you can just look at the screen and fly your drone safely. The distance you are from limbs and branches are not easy to discern in the video display and it only take one little branch to bring your drone down. And where is that "down", it at the top of a tree int he forest in back of your house...

Put your drone in the your car and go to an open field or park and learn to fly your drone frontwards, backwards, sideways, up and down...

See if you can perform an Manual Orbit... Move away from all obstacles and hover your drone about 10' away from you with the drone facing you and you are squarely in the center of the screen, Now while only looking at the screen, fly the drone slowly around you maintaining the 10' distance with you remain in the center of the screen all the time.

This requires you to Roll (left or Right) slowly and yaw in the other direction slowly... In other words, to perform a clockwise orbit, you give your drone a little bit of Left Roll and while your are doing that, you are giving the drone a little bit of Right Yaw.

If all of this is Greek to you, got to YouTube, watch a bunch of videos on how to fly your drone.

here is a a good video to start with...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1