DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the fastest way to get LAANC approval?

dronerat

Reactions
Hey pilots--

I know this is a very newbish question, but what is the quickest and easiest way to get LAANC approval for a flight? Is there an app? (I use iOS) And how long in advance should you make the request?

Background is, I'm planning on making my first drone flight above a forest that is behind my backyard. Unfortunately, I live just within the outer boundary of the LAANC controlled airspace area, along with the rest of the forest. Also, given that this will be my first flight, is there any reason it is a bad idea to do a first flight in a LAANC area?

First READ THE MANUAL, several times. Pay special attention to the italicized and bold sections. Take the TRUST exam and pass. Then go to an open area and practice, practice, practice. Learn about your settings. Then Air Control is probably the best app for LAANC.

Reactions: bcfd29
Is it safe to assume you are a recreational flyer? And since you say this will be your first flight, one might ask if you have taken the TRUST exam and have a basic understanding of the rules? Drone is registered?

Beyond that, LAANC approval is (at times) instant, there are several apps you can use - I use Aloft.

As to your first flight and whether or not it is a good idea for your very first flight? Why complicate things?

My advice would be to neither fly in controlled airspace; in which you need an authorization, OR fly in a forest unless you just want complicate things and lessen your chances of success.

Is it safe to assume you are a recreational flyer? And since you say this will be your first flight, one might ask if you have taken the TRUST exam and have a basic understanding of the rules? Drone is registered?

Beyond that, LAANC approval is (at times) instant, there are several apps you can use - I use Aloft.

As to your first flight and whether or not it is a good idea for your very first flight? Why complicate things?

My advice would be to neither fly in controlled airspace; in which you need an authorization, OR fly in a forest unless you just want complicate things and lessen your chances of success.
Ah yes I have TRUST and will register when I receive the drone. Well, the only reason for the LAANC site is that it is the most convenient site, there is an open field and an adjacent forest all within a short walk from home so I figured I'd try it there. Unfortunately around me most good spots I found outside this LAANC area probably require a permit.

I could constrain my self to the field and avoid the forest tho.

What complications could the forest add? And how should I deal with them?

The foliage and leaves on trees can and will reduce signal strength depending on the types and density. I saw your other post and you should know that if you put a lot of trees between you and your drone you will get reduced signal strength and can even lose signal.

One of the dangers of flying in a forest is not preparing for loss of signal and what the drone will do - see post # 2 ;)

On top of signal degradation, you can't see through dense forest and thus fail to maintain VLOS.

Best advice is: when in, and near trees is to maintain direct VLOS and keep an eye on signal strength. If you have a clearing next to the forest that would be a good place for a first flight but be aware of the above and start with small steps. Good Luck.

Flying above a forest is like flying anywhere else, except you would NOT want to land in a forest. I live in a heavily forested area, where open fields are sports fields, so no go there. As long as you can take off and land in a small open area, you'll have no problem. But do look up before takeoff. Ask me how I know.... And make sure your RTH height is higher than the trees.

Really, for your first flights, you need to take things slowly and operate carefully in a very controlled, limited way. Stay far away from trees. Don't get anywhere near controlled airspace. Find someplace with a big, open space, no trees, buildings, other obstructions, or people to distract you. Go fly around there and get a feel for things, learn about the different settings. Learn about how the wind (and other conditions) can have a big impact on your flight.

I know, you're excited to get going and do amazing things. Resist that temptation. You need to get some of the basics down before you start complicating things. Learning the basics actually takes some time and practice - more than you think. You can't skip that.

Read the manual. Start small. Go slow. Take baby steps. You will be glad you did.

The foliage and leaves on trees can and will reduce signal strength depending on the types and density. I saw your other post and you should know that if you put a lot of trees between you and your drone you will get reduced signal strength and can even lose signal.

One of the dangers of flying in a forest is not preparing for loss of signal and what the drone will do - see post # 2 ;)

On top of signal degradation, you can't see through dense forest and thus fail to maintain VLOS.

Best advice is: when in, and near trees is to maintain direct VLOS and keep an eye on signal strength. If you have a clearing next to the forest that would be a good place for a first flight but be aware of the above and start with small steps. Good Luck.
And set the RTH to hover if you flying under the canopy!

Reactions: Elthree
Make sure you learn all about RTH and how to regain control of your drone after losing signal.
I would also suggest you learn to fly in atti mode, just in case stuff should hit the fan, like losing gps, for instance.

And set the RTH to hover if you flying under the canopy!

Correct, I eluded to this when I said to see post #2 (read the manual) ;) A lot of crashes are caused by pilots getting into situations (such as a loss-of-signal RTH), and then have no clue as to what the sequence of events that follow are doing.

Lack of familiarity with equipment and procedures is a drone-killer - add in a stand of trees and a new pilot and you've got a situation that might not turn out well.

Reactions: Dbez1 and Siam

FYI< Air Control is the newest version and replaces Aloft. Not much difference beyond a new name.

Make sure you learn all about RTH and how to regain control of your drone after losing signal.
I started out in a sports field (at times where there just some other people on the far side) and over a couple of weeks did lots of practising with low-altitude manuevering. There are plenty of Youtube tutes with suggestions.
Of course I also went up and took some photos from altitude (practising with layouts for panoramas, etc).

It takes practice, and as others have said I believe the early investment is worth it.
Ideally you're only introducing a few new things to learn each time.
It all takes practice, and hopefully by the time you get too close to trees you have some instinctive reactions honed. Even then you're unlikely to be perfect: even today if I'm looking at the drone directly I sometimes still yaw in the opposite direction to that I intended.

I would also suggest you learn to fly in atti mode, just in case stuff should hit the fan, like losing gps, for instance.
Unfortunately it's very hard to access "ATTI mode" with today's models. Maybe wrap the drone in foil to attenuate GPS (without attenuating the control/video signals) and tape over the sensors? It's a bit hit-n-miss.

Unfortunately it's very hard to access "ATTI mode" with today's models. Maybe wrap the drone in foil to attenuate GPS (without attenuating the control/video signals) and tape over the sensors? It's a bit hit-n-miss.
Sorry, I fly Phantoms all the time. Just a flip of a switch on the remote.
I learned by flying a non-gps Syma X5C and I believe the experience is well worth it.

Reactions: Elthree
I’m short on time now so didn’t read every post. Did anyone mention B4UFly? If not, it’s a simple app that can direct you to a site where you can get LAANC if needed.

Speaking of which, Bob Dylan once said 'to live outside of the the law you have got to be honest' . Your thoughts?

Sorry, I fly Phantoms all the time. Just a flip of a switch on the remote.
I learned by flying a non-gps Syma X5C and I believe the experience is well worth it.
I still have mine (Syma), I let the grandson fly it the other day in a very controlled area. He had a blast.

Reactions: maggior and Grandpa
Ah yes I have TRUST and will register when I receive the drone. Well, the only reason for the LAANC site is that it is the most convenient site, there is an open field and an adjacent forest all within a short walk from home so I figured I'd try it there. Unfortunately around me most good spots I found outside this LAANC area probably require a permit.

I could constrain my self to the field and avoid the forest tho.

Umm TREES…..

Reactions: Kolman Rosenberg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4