DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where is imagery stored?

copernicus

Reactions
I'm confused about where "stuff" from my Mini 2 is stored. I know that the original hi-res imagery is stored on the sd card in the drone, and I copy it directly from here onto my computer, but the rest?

In the DJI Fly app Album, I see "Aircraft Album" which appears to contain lo-res version of videos, marked "cache", and "Saved" that contains images and panoramas (inc 360 photospheres).

Can someone explain what is where - in the drone, in the controller (unlikely but possible?), on the phone, in the cloud? After a session taking video/photos it seems a little while before things appear in the app. Should I be waiting a while before I switch off the drone and controller?

Also, how do you download the flight logs? In the DJI Fly app, I go to Profile and select More> at bottom left to get to the Flight Data Center where I see the individual flights, but I see no option to download them. And again, are these on the phone or in the cloud?

Thanks!

Also, how do you download the flight logs? In the DJI Fly app, I go to Profile and select More> at bottom left to get to the Flight Data Center where I see the individual flights, but I see no option to download them. And again, are these on the phone or in the cloud?
What phone do you have?
What operating system is on your computer,
For an android phone there are two possible locations for the logs.
Which location is used depends on the App version, I forget when/version the change occurred.
For an android phone connected to a windows computer via USB
the old location has the PATH
For the txt flight logs ( which are what you will be after) =
Computer/Phone's_name/Phone/DJI/dji.go.v5/FlightRecord
For the DAT flight logs ( no use to you they are encrypted ) =
Computer/Phone's_name/Phone/DJI/dji.go.v5/FlightRecord/MCDatFlightRecords

For the new the PATH is
Computer/Phone's_name/Phone/Android/data/dji.go.v5/FlightRecord
and
Computer/Phone's_name/Phone/Android/data/dji.go.v5/FlightRecord/MCDatFlightRecords respectively
I suspect IOS will be similar.

If you sync your logs then you most likely will not have DATs.

Reactions: Cafguy
Thanks for having a go at answering this. I'm surprised (should I be?) that there is no app facility to download the logs.

I don't use Windows (I'm a Linux person), but your file names gave me a clue where on the phone these files are. Using my FileManager app, I find the txt flight records here:
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord

Ferretting around in DJI's private parts (so to speak) I find the answers to my other questions.

The images that make up "Aircraft Album" (and image and video thumbnails) are cached in
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/cache/ImageCaches

There is a:
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/cache/VideoCaches
but it's empty. The videos actually appear to be here:
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/MediaCaches

The files that make up the "Saved" folder are stored publicly in the normal location for camera media:
/storage/emulated/0/DCIM/DJI Album/

I see that the log "txt" files are actually binary. Is the format available? I'm an ex-programmer and we like to tinker :).

Do we know what's in the .DAT files and why they are encrypted?

The DATS contain more information about what is going on inside the drone, including the motor speeds. DJI started encrypting the 'phone DATs' with the mini 2. Mini 3 pro phone DATs are readable and so are the the 'goggle DATs' of the FPV.
As to why they are encrypted......answers on a post card.
I'm an ex-programmer and we like to tinker
That was a mistake, :eek: 🙃 any good with AWK or GAWK?

I think you should like this

I think you should like this

A brief look says that I probably will. Thanks.