DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where to put controller while Active track / Follow me?

Definitely doesn't work without the RC, so how do you do it?

I'm really interested in knowing also, can do active track without the rc but it isn't much use following a mountain bike but can't seem to find follow me without the rc any suggestions

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I used it once with Wi-Fi and it worked great but is limited to 80m from take off point because there is an issue with the app that doesn't let you pick your phone as the homepoint

Just got my Mavic a few days ago. Was really hoping to fly it with Activetrack via WiFi, but the 80m limit from the home point (not controller) sucks. You can update the home point as you are flying, but if you are traveling any significant distance that gets really old.

So I have a bike mount for my iPhone (Amazon.com: Taotronics Bike Phone Mount Bicycle Holder, Universal Cradle Clamp for iOS Android Smartphone GPS other Devices, with One-button Released, 360 Degrees Rotatable, Rubber Strap: Cell Phones & Accessories). I have the Lifeproof case for my phone, so it won't fit in the Mavic remote. What I did when filming this was velcro strap the remote to the handlebars to the right of the phone. I used the remote controller mobile device clamps unfolded to help stabilize. It moved around a bit, and the buttons on the back kept getting bumped, but for the most part it worked. I definitely need a more secure mount. May just pick up a second phone mount for the remote and mount phone on left and remote on right. The remote is a little tall for the phone clamp, but I think with an elastic band across the clamps it would be fine.
image1.JPG

Just got my Mavic a few days ago. Was really hoping to fly it with Activetrack via WiFi, but the 80m limit from the home point (not controller) sucks. You can update the home point as you are flying, but if you are traveling any significant distance that gets really old.

So I have a bike mount for my iPhone (Amazon.com: Taotronics Bike Phone Mount Bicycle Holder, Universal Cradle Clamp for iOS Android Smartphone GPS other Devices, with One-button Released, 360 Degrees Rotatable, Rubber Strap: Cell Phones & Accessories). I have the Lifeproof case for my phone, so it won't fit in the Mavic remote. What I did when filming this was velcro strap the remote to the handlebars to the right of the phone. I used the remote controller mobile device clamps unfolded to help stabilize. It moved around a bit, and the buttons on the back kept getting bumped, but for the most part it worked. I definitely need a more secure mount. May just pick up a second phone mount for the remote and mount phone on left and remote on right. The remote is a little tall for the phone clamp, but I think with an elastic band across the clamps it would be fine.
View attachment 5301

Thanks. I'm trying to figure this out too before a trip next month to Utah. I gave the wifi a try but the 80 meter rule kicked in. But I thought it was a restricted space since that was the warning that would come up. But it was the home point. I couldn't see how to update that to the phone on wifi either.

Here are my first feeble attempts at active track with wifi. Just screen tests and don't laugh too much about the full gear. I had big hopes of bombing down the somewhat rocky single track. But after reading this thread I figured out the reason it stops following me is that it hits an 80 meter limit on wifi and it doesn't update the home point to follow the bike/phone. So I don't think wifi is the answer for most MTB. Maybe I'll try wifi for sessioning a jump or tech area that I can circle. Something like a small bmx style dirt jump/pump track or skateboard park seems like it might work. Of course then I would have the Mavic hovering over my broken body! But for what I really want is to have a feature that would keep the home point with the bike like followme but closer up like active track. And I'm having a hard time imagining a bar mount that would both be functional, protected and robust. Like my gopro which I just mount up on the bar or the chest mount and ride and don't worry that it will be damaged but I can turn it on easily when needed.

Yeah, WiFi is worthless unless they change the 80m limit from home point to distance from controller.

If you want to update the home point in flight, click general settings, then main controller settings. On the top you will see Home Point Settings, and you can update to it's current position. Doing that every 80m is a headache.
image1.PNG image2.PNG

So here's my current handlebar setup that is working pretty good. iPhone 6s+ in a Lifeproof Fre case, attached to Taotronics handlebar mount. The Mavic remote is attached to a Arkon handlebar mount (with the long tabs). I used these 1' USB to lightning cables connected to the USB port on the bottom of the remote.
IMG_0005.JPG

Here's today's attempt. It helped launching near the jump, riding back uphill and riding down which gives 160 meters and a little more room to get going. Manholes Trail is clear of trees but has the one overhead wire around...it's even buried before and after this road crossing!

I have the same issue for mountain biking.

I have a large seat bag that I strapped the controller to for the bike segment of this video but it was a bit unwieldy.

I'm going to get a Quadlock mount for the back of the RC and a matching handlebar mount:
Bike Kit - Universal Fit V2

Reactions: yokdrone and K2D2

I have a large seat bag that I strapped the controller to for the bike segment of this video but it was a bit unwieldy.

I'm going to get a Quadlock mount for the back of the RC and a matching handlebar mount:
Wow, great video!

Great Video. Is that Baja? Australia? Anyway, that was very cool. Today I mounted a GoPro adhesive onto the back of the controller(the one for curved surfaces worked best). Before I stuck it, I took a pic of the serial # and other info since I'm not sure how easy it will be to get off. I know you are supposed to wait 24 hours, but it held fine. I already have an aluminum bar mount that I use for the GoPro that is rock steady. I used the iphones usb cord since the tiny wire wouldn't reach. But for the long term, the cheap phone mount looks too flimsy and I'll have to find a better way to mount the phone. But having both controller and phone are mandatory I think. I'll look at the mount you posted or maybe another GoPro style. It will be a few days before I get any video up, but I'll post here.

Reactions: idiogenic
Quick update - spent a few days riding in Derby, Tasmania with the Quadlocked remote on my bars occasionally. Handled some slightly rocky trails at pace.

Reactions: K2D2
Quick update - spent a few days riding in Derby, Tasmania with the Quadlocked remote on my bars occasionally. Handled some slightly rocky trails at pace.

Did you use the quad lock attached to the phone or directly to the DJI RC?

I'm interested in this setup but didn't really want to attach the quad lock adapter to the back of the DJI RC

Reactions: FlyByNight
Guys, these are some nice replies you know. But I'm afraid DJI will have to come with a solution. It is really not feasible to ride my MTB while holding the controller with my iPhone attached.... but that isn't new as I could read previous posts. Thanks for sharing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters