DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where to put controller while Active track / Follow me?

magnil

Reactions
Would like my Mavic to follow me while i ride a mountain bike or ride a snowmobile.

First I was thinking that I should use only the phone as controller with wifi but it seems that active track / follow me is not available with phone as controller?

If I use the controller and put it in the back pack it seems as there is to much risk of the sticks getting moved in the back pack.

Is there any good way to do it?

It's really missing a good place to attach a lanyard, I find it annoying you almost need to put it down even to open and start the Mavic and it can be hard to find a dry clean spot.
You can pass a cord round one of the arms but it doesn't feel very secure especially if biking.
On ebay there are solutions, this idea is inexpensive but looks a bit fiddly to put in place and did wonder if the grill below might be obstructed.
Neck Lanyard Buckle Adapter Hooking For DJI Mavic Pro Transmitter Remote Control | eBay

You can get cheaper versions without lanyard - which does look over-engineered for such a small thing - and you probably have something from another camera anyway.

Reactions: kupua and magsta
Would like my Mavic to follow me while i ride a mountain bike or ride a snowmobile.

First I was thinking that I should use only the phone as controller with wifi but it seems that active track / follow me is not available with phone as controller?

If I use the controller and put it in the back pack it seems as there is to much risk of the sticks getting moved in the back pack.

Is there any good way to do it?

Don't use wifi. Not super reliable and you would be getting frequent disconnects.

Controller carrying is tricky. You really can't put it in a bag because there is too much risk of hitting the sticks or even the gimbal wheel making all your footage of the ground or sky. I'd try to rig up some kind of handlebar mount in case it starts wondering and you need some quick stick inputs to save it.

strap the controller to the bike.

A neck lanyard or strap the controller will not work while mountain biking on a rough path. They should add a controller "lock" mode in future FW update!

What kind of trail as you talking about.... one leafless branch sticking out or telephone/power line and it will get knocked down.... the sensors do not see everything. If you are in an open area like Moab Utah slickrock you will probably be fine... be careful!

Is it not surpose to keep the altitude you set it at?

Man, that guy soldiered on past so many things to make a video. Bad audio, bad wind, wind pushing his GoPro tripod around, starting to rain, the wind pushing the Mavic around, his phone device "looking wonky" for some reason, the Mavic firmware not elevating as the tracking target elevates (surprising him), ... but he is damned determined to make the video.

Thanks for posting this question. I am going skiing in January and am wondering how I can get video of me going down the hill. Unless my wife can learn to land it and stow the controller, I don't think it will happen. So, I don't think it will happen.

I use this Serfas: Stem Bags. Cheap, big enough for the Tx+iPhone6S and keep it visible and at hand at all times. The magnetic lid is wonderful, really handy. It's the best solution I've found to carry the Tx during ride while it's following me. To be safer I also wrap a rubber band on the top tube, and if things get bumpy or fast around the Tx. And always put the stick locker, though I've found it's not always necessary because the bag is large and soft enough to hold it and not interfere. Much better than the soft backpack-style bag I use to carry the Mavic.

Horrible video. I've used active track and it worked flawlessly

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Horrible video is a bit harsh, the guy was determined to make a useful video in real life conditions, however there were moments where I questioned his sanity!

I agree with you in the fact that it could work more flawlessly, yes he could have set his surroundings better, as there are hills and the MP in AT mode won't raise or lower its altitude - I think the FW is older on this video as the focusing isn't working after take off?

After watching this video though I'm intrigued to try the wifi mode active track as I do a lot of MTB riding and have always used my iPhone for map reading whilst I ride so I have a very good phone holder (I've done downhill and trail riding with it no problem) made by "quadlock" ironically! When I get the chance I will post up the footage and outcome..

Reactions: Chipmunksky
I use this Serfas: Stem Bags. Cheap, big enough for the Tx+iPhone6S and keep it visible and at hand at all times. The magnetic lid is wonderful, really handy. It's the best solution I've found to carry the Tx during ride while it's following me. To be safer I also wrap a rubber band on the top tube, and if things get bumpy or fast around the Tx. And always put the stick locker, though I've found it's not always necessary because the bag is large and soft enough to hold it and not interfere. Much better than the soft backpack-style bag I use to carry the Mavic.
Which stem bag are you using. Your link goes to the page with all the stem bags.

May the Litchi app be our solution with follow mode? Seems like you can choose to disable the RC joysticks and use sport switch to cancel follow mode. Help - Litchi

Anyone tried it?

I use the DJI GO4 with no issues.

Rgs
Scalci

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78