DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which ND filter do I need for the beach?

hassanchop

Reactions
Hi,

I'm reading through the forums and people are suggesting to get a ND filter if it's bright out. I'm heading to Turks and Caicos in a week would like some help in deciding which one to get. How do I know which one is the right one? I'm hoping to capture the color of the water and along with proper exposure when filming.

I found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_...filter&ie=UTF8&qid=1513343914&rnid=2661617011

ND32 or 64 for beach, sand, snow, bright sun.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm reading through the forums and people are suggesting to get a ND filter if it's bright out. I'm heading to Turks and Caicos in a week would like some help in deciding which one to get. How do I know which one is the right one? I'm hoping to capture the color of the water and along with proper exposure when filming.

I found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_0?fst=as:eek:ff&rh=i:aps,k:polar+pro+mavic+filter,p_72:2661618011&keywords=polar+pro+mavic+filter&ie=UTF8&qid=1513343914&rnid=2661617011
There is an app called polar pro (a manufacturer of filters for the Mavic) it will tell you what you need based on conditions, it can be handy to have.

Reactions: trriley5 and jorn
Here's a good general guide for ND filters:

Filter-Use-Chart.png

Also agreeing tot he 16 / 32 / maybe 64 range. Best guess is 32, it's what I need even away from the beach on really sunny days flying over bright objects. My original kit only went to 16 and I thought it would be enough, but I had to order a 32 on its own as well afterwards. ND64 isn't out of the question for a beach.

Hi,

I found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_0?fst=as:eek:ff&rh=i:aps,k:polar+pro+mavic+filter,p_72:2661618011&keywords=polar+pro+mavic+filter&ie=UTF8&qid=1513343914&rnid=2661617011

If you're trying to keep to a single filter, then without having too much additional information, I would say an ND32 is probably the best bet as a general-use filter for bright daytime conditions in the Turks and Caicos. Lighting conditions will likely vary depending on the day and time of day, though, so there may be situations where the filter darkens things too much. If you're looking at flying during several different times of the day, you may want to consider picking up an ND8 or 16 as well, for some added flexibility. It does not sound as though the ND64 would be absolutely necessary in this case, though personal preferences can also come into play. If sun glare from the water is a large concern, a polarizer will definitely help with that. Bear in mind that polarizer filters require additional setup and adjustment time due to the variable look they provide.

If you would like more information about any of the filter types or how they work, please feel free to message us directly or email [email protected]. Hope this helps!

- Oliver from PolarPro

Guys, when you use ND filters do you use camera on Manual? Setting ISO and speed ? Or just use on auto and let the camera do the thing.

Thanks

I use and like ND/PL filters. Always like polarizing filters for enhanced color saturation and there seem to work well when making photos over water and right angle to the sun.

have read that you will get better photos using manual setting, lots of suggestions on forum here. you just need to experiment. I am still learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: flodi
I use and like ND/PL filters. Always like polarizing filters for enhanced color saturation.

have read that you will get better photos using manual setting, lots of suggestions on forum here. you just need to experiment. I am still learn.

I got the cinema series ND/PL, 4, 8, 16 and 32. What I did was creating a Litchi mission and I am trying each filter on auto and manual flying the same mission to compare the footage later.

As someone already mentioned - I highly recommend the Polar Pro app

Guys, when you use ND filters do you use camera on Manual?
Thanks

In Auto mode, you can get some improvement versus no filter unless you put on a filter that cuts too much for the shooting condition (eg: ND32 in low light).

If you get ND filter, best is to understand the principle behind...and you will end up mainly using Manual to get the most of them.

Reactions: trriley5 and flodi
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbtha7467