DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why DJI Go? Why????

aringhof

Reactions
I recorded my first video and I tried uploading it to the DJI Go video editor.... lol and behold, I get an error that said it wouldn't upload because it was 4K or slow motion or less than 6 seconds? So they build a drone that can record in 4K, but an app video editor that can't edit it? Am I missing something?
6b966edd1b971bfc4fbcccb8e81158c4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam76
Only the 9.7 does 4K the bigger pro does not. The 9.7 has better processor and all that techno mumble jumble....

Sooooooo, running the DJI Go app on my iPad is not the cause of the error. Video wasn't slow motion nor less than 6 seconds. Does anyone have trouble transferring the drone video to the video editor on the app?

I was under the impression that with 4K you need to transfer it directly off of the SD card.

Just went out and did my first 4K video shots. Now I know why I avoided it! Even on a fairly decked out desktop with SSD drives and very good Nvidia graphics card as GPU helping Adobe Premeire, the editing is painful. The fact that an ipad cannot deal with it is no surprise. If it actually worked you would probably be frustrated to death by the slowness.

Reactions: aringhof
Another reason it won't transfer to your phone is the transfer speed tops out at about 4MB per second which is painfully slow. A 10-minute video in 1080p takes 10 minutes or so (never really timed it), so attempting to transfer a 4k video will more likely drain the batteries in at least one of the 3 devices before the download completes.

Just went out and did my first 4K video shots. Now I know why I avoided it! Even on a fairly decked out desktop with SSD drives and very good Nvidia graphics card as GPU helping Adobe Premeire, the editing is painful. The fact that an ipad cannot deal with it is no surprise. If it actually worked you would probably be frustrated to death by the slowness.
What are you talking about. When I'm not home I m editing on a 13" 2015 rmbp with premiere / fcp and I ain't got a problem with it.

Reactions: bwall525
What are you talking about. When I'm not home I m editing on a 13" 2015 rmbp with premiere / fcp and I ain't got a problem with it.

Not happening for me with 4K at 30fps. Trying to convert to 1080P with 2 pass filtering means going for dinner and coming back to it just about completed. BTW this all depends on how long your clips are. I am talking about 12 minutes of video about 4.5Gb file size with sound.

Rob

I only shoot in 4K and do NOTHING on my iPad or iPhone. SD card goes straight into my Mac for post production in FCPX. Seriously, if you want 4K quality and do post production on a phone for uploading to JoeTjoep, you are missing the point.
Keep struggling on your phone then.... you might learn something

Reactions: fax3l
I recorded my first video and I tried uploading it to the DJI Go video editor.... lol and behold, I get an error that said it wouldn't upload because it was 4K or slow motion or less than 6 seconds? So they build a drone that can record in 4K, but an app video editor that can't edit it? Am I missing something?
6b966edd1b971bfc4fbcccb8e81158c4.jpg
Because it does not make sense to edit a 4K video on a mobile device.
But if you really want to try that you could import your original files from the mavic to your iPad Pro using the camera connection kit.
And maybe use an editor like "Vizzywig 2017". Not the cheapest app though.

So the theory is the DJI Go App knew I was on an iPad, that it would take too long to edit my 90 second video, so it refused to even try to transfer the file, and then lied to me by blaming it on "slow motion", "less than 6 seconds" or "4K", none of which apply to my file.

So the theory is the DJI Go App knew I was on an iPad, that it would take too long to edit my 90 second video, so it refused to even try to transfer the file, and then lied to me by blaming it on "slow motion", "less than 6 seconds" or "4K", none of which apply to my file.
You just said your file is 4K.

Not happening for me with 4K at 30fps. Trying to convert to 1080P with 2 pass filtering means going for dinner and coming back to it just about completed. BTW this all depends on how long your clips are. I am talking about 12 minutes of video about 4.5Gb file size with sound.

Rob
I've had the same issue with my MacBook Pro. Granted it is the late 2015 version but fairly loaded. I just stick to 2.7K.

I stick to 2.7k because it's close to mad fidelity with this sensor and because I'd no longer be able to use the free version of Divinci Resolve if I went to 4k. Also, for YouTube, which is ultimately where I intend for my stuff to be consumed, 4k is a bit overkill.

I know this an older thread but i hope to help others like me.

I am running the DJI Go App solely on android so maybe not everything can be done the same way on iOS but it should be possible.

First off: within the DJI Go App it is possible to download the 4K Video after the flight - you have to start the Video Editor and then select the corresponding video, there is a download to device button (on Android - just appeared in the latest update maybe).
Please be advised: the download can take a while - 5 Minutes of 4K Video took me about 10 Minutes downloading to my Galaxy S8 Phone. If you have the possibility to read the micro sd card directly on your phone, i would advise you to do that if you are short on time and batteries.
I often download the 4K Videos without taking out the sd card because i don't like the hassle and want to do most things wirelessly ;-)

Next up: transcoding or video editing on mobile devices. It is true, that on the usual desktop PC (no matter if linux, windows or macos) the editing of 4K videos takes a long time, but depending solely on the raw CPU-Power (if you are doing software encoding) or special features (like assisted GPU-Encoding). Another possibility is Hardware transcoding (with intel quicksync or other features). Typically software encoding is favored because it will yield the best results - quality-wise. Hardware Encoding can be alot faster.

But well, i like to do everything on the devices i carry around and that does not include my desktop pc. So then i thought: my Galaxy S8 is capable of recording 4K Videos. That simple fact means: the device has a hardware encoder ready for 4K built in. If your iPad supports 4K Recording, then there will also be a hardware encoder built in. Simple as that.

The presence of a hardware encoder has 2 positive effects if it can be used: encoding video does not use much energy, the chip is tailored specifically for this job. and it's pretty fast. how fast you might ask? well, typically at least in the order 1:1, meaning: 10 minutes of video takes about 10 minutes of encoding - in many cases even alot faster!

If the hardware encoder can be accessed by third party apps on your phone, which is the usual case, you only need an app which does support 4K encoding AND uses a hardware encoder if present on your phone.

I searched through the whole appstore and tested many apps until i found a quite good app (i don't do any advertising here, just sharing my findings ... )
the app is called "kinemaster" and is available on android and iOS. in my opinion it is one of the best video editing apps i have ever seen. It fully supports 4K decoding and encoding on my samsung galaxy s8, even lets me change the bitrate and has tons of features - typically only found on professional video editing software (like adobe premiere): video layering, chroma keys (green screen), effects and so on.
Usually i am just interested in the cutting and re-encoding of the video to 4K, but it's good to know, the app could do more.

The only downside: the app is not really free, without the licence you can use most of the features (at least on android) but there will be a watermark placed on all produced videos. if you choose to pay for it (aroud 30 dollars per year) all features are present and the forced watermarks are gone.

With this setup i can use my DJI Mavic without the need for a desktop pc anymore, i edit and upload all my videos directly on my smartphone - and doing that within no-time :)

I hope this helps others like me, searching for a similar setup

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi