DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does DJI always have to make their RC USB cables so bloody short?

I bought a 0.3 metre cable with a straight in lightning plug to fit my iphone 11 Pro in a safety case for about $NZ20. There is a photo and link on one of my earlier threads. Kevlar bound; excellent.

I have an 8 inch tablet and the stock USB-C to USB-C could not fit any better. Looks like you should reverse both (if they're USB-C to USB-C).

Attachments

• IMG_20201211_113829.jpg
    IMG_20201211_113829.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
Would love my cable plugged in like that but it doesn't read the phone. I believe my cable is defective.
I have the same problem as you on my MavicAir2 RC but not on the Mini2 RC. I believe the port on your RC is damaged, as is it is on mine. However, on yours it is damaged the opposite of my orientation.

Take a look at my thread about this issue.

I'm not going to get mine fixed by DJI as mine works in the original orientation it came with, and I now have 2 RCs.

I've plugged mine in facing both ways and using both ends for various reasons, like wanting my volume rocker exposed, and never had any problems. Maybe you have a bad cable? I know that bending the cables as tightly as are shown in the picture isn't good for them or the ports. I use this cable with my tablet and its great. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B089CQNF38/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_pq70FbXPBF9AQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
If you're careful you can still (double)wrap and store the cable inside the compartment. I can even manage to store the USB c extender inside with it so I dont have to decide in advance whether to use my tablet or phone.
I think it's my case to be honest but again I want to be able to use the case on it.

Worse comes to worst I just pick up a cheap old and smaller Samsung phone to use just for the RC.

I have the same problem as you on my MavicAir2 RC but not on the Mini2 RC. I believe the port on your RC is damaged, as is it is on mine. However, on yours it is damaged the opposite of my orientation.

Take a look at my thread about this issue.

I'm not going to get mine fixed by DJI as mine works in the original orientation it came with, and I now have 2 RCs.
I think it's the RC too, weird how it will only work when plugged in 1 or the 4 possible configs. Sounds common with Air 2 RC's? Just a very annoying problem to have but I can live with it.

I just tried a 3rd party Anker USB-C cable and when connected to the USB-C jack on the right of the RC. If I wiggle the end gently, it loses connection. Is this normal? It has to be a defective jack on the RC. It sounds like you almost need a L shape connector on the end that goes into the RC jack to give it more support on the sides of the plug.

I examined it further and it looks like I will either have to get a cheap spare phone just to use with the app and RC or take my phone case off each time. I will either do the first.

With my phone in it's case, the OEM USB-C to USB-C cable is not 100% flush to the phone connector since the L shape end gets in the way over the case.

Just curious, what would happen if your phone loses connection to the app with the drone in operation? Since once you unplug the phone from the RC, the drone loses connection. Would love it if you could use the app without having to plug it in each time.

If I do end up picking up a cheap phone just to use with the Air 2, then I would likely get a cheap iphone since I was told the DJI apps run much better and are less bugger with iOS?

Last edited:
Unfortunately you may have to fly without the case.

I had a Otterbox Defender case that wouldn't work so I had to get a smaller case.

A while back, I seen some OTG cables on line somewhere that had extra long tabs to be used with protective cases but I can't seem to find them now.

It looks like the cable plugged into your remote is backwards.

There is a image of the remote molded on the cable that shows the orientation of the plug into the remote.

The drone can be flown without a device, but it's not recommended due to telemetry loss and should be flown in VLOS.

It's not uncommon for cable ends to have problems with phone/tablet cases. It's not just a DJI issue. The odds are greater with angled connectors.

But that only explains the phone end. The two ports apparently should both work (I was expecting one to be a dummy to store the cable) and in both directions.

The RC to AC link is not dependent on the app. You can still control the AC with the RC, including the RTH button. If you take off without the app connected, then your altitude/distance is limited as if you were in beginner mode. That's for safety since the only way to fly like that is VLOS.
If you do get a USB disconnect or app crashes, you can work on reinstating the connection and continue where you left off. If you're in an autonomous mode though, I'd suggest hitting pause on the RC. The RTH button may be the pause button if you just press it briefly. Long press is RTH.

You don't want the RC connection wireless. I'm sure P3S owners can attest it's a pain. For one thing if you need internet from your device's WiFi, you're out of luck since the wifi is already in use to talk to the RC.
There is always Bluetooth I suppose.

Thats for the older model remotes, particularly MM1 as those use micro USB in OTG mode for the side port.

MA2 and MM2 remote uses USB C.
I don't think it even has a full A port so the cables it shows for MA2 won't work either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilrah
I bought a few of these....

You could grind a bit of your phone case to make enough room for the connector.

I considered it, too much work.

I found a new case. This will give me enough clearance with the L connector. Much cheaper to get a new case than to get another phone just for this.

I remember using a dedicated phone just for flying the Mavic Pro 1 four years ago and I hated always having to run a hotspot on my phone and then tether the drone phone to my phone.

EDIT: I just modified my current case and cut the bottom off. I'm cheap and it saves me a few bucks. Testing it now but it seems fixed now.

Attachments

• 617p3YJuaGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    617p3YJuaGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thanks. I read online that the OEM has a sensor in the cable to work with the RC? Anything special about the OEM cable?
DJI should step up and provide 12/18 inch cables out of the box. I have m2e, when I use the dji cables out of the box, I get connection (m2e to rc to aircraft, with dji pilot app), when I connect to bottom usb port, with non-dji cables, I get limited connectivity, and portions of pilot app non-junctional, such as not being able to import the files to fly in controlled air space.

Meta4 said "Thanks. I read online that the OEM has a sensor in the cable to work with the RC? Anything special about the OEM cable?"

We're speaking of the phone to RC right? Ive read somewhere the USB to USB-C cable for computer to RC or/and Aircraft is specialized (perhaps one additional wire) and should be used for firmware updates; but not short pig tails from RC to your big screen TV (iPad). Ive a MA2 and keep the "specialized" cable with the bundle and nowhere else. If it is or they are, where does DJI make replacements available.

On a previous matter of ADS-B Out...Im inclined to believe its in the soup; subject to implementation. DJI Support infers its a secret; "can't say". At same time Im told MA2 utilizes both 978 and 1090 freqs. You wont know whether its activated or not unless your pal with his drone is close at hand.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr