DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why the mavic doesnt move in the exact straight path ?

Mine does the same thing. And people saying the gimbal doesn't move left or right are completely wrong. Set the mavic on a table without motors spinning and push the left stick left or right. You will see the gimbal move left and right. That being said it could be tbe gimble looks to be perfectly straight and may be off by a degree or two, while on screen it looks like you are pointed in a direction the gimbal may just be pointed at a piont of interest and the mavic heading may be a coulpe degrees off which would explain this. That being said i think the mavic itself flys straight but the gimbal being off can make it look like the mavic is drifting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Static8
I think there's still some confusion here. The flying at an angle does show up on video, but you can also physically see the quad flying at an angle while watching it from the ground. Theres no camera tricks or anything of that nature, because none of my other quads have this same issue. In fact, the video I have from my maiden flight shows it at around 2:57. The sticks were straight forward in a way that it should have flown straight down the road, but you can easily see it flying at an angle.

The remote was calibrated by initializing the calibration procedure through DJI Go and moving the sticks accordingly. The gimbal, IMU and compass were also calibrated on a flat surface and low interference area.

Why the mavic doesnt move in the exact straight path ?

Whats the reason ?
For example, I loved to the top of a straight road.
And I wanted to go forward all the way straight, but the mavic was like whole off the road straight line.

Whats the reason ?

IMU calibrated
Firmware updatrd
Sensors on and working fine
This was common on the Phantom 2 (for me, at least). You should recalibrate the IMU by setting the drone on a dead level surface then running the calibration. Use a carpenter level to check the calibration surface first. If it's not absolutely dead level, the MP will drift left or right when flying forward, and/or it will drift forward or backwards when rolling to the side.

Kevin

Did you take into account the possibility of a cross wind? Also you can use the feature of tap to fly (think that's what it is) where tap screen and fly's to that point.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using MavicPilots mobile app

Maybe recalibrate the controller sticks?
Also if you're using an iPad, it may benefit to have the Home button of the tablet on the right side when it is inserted into the controller.
The magnets built into the iPad lie along the edge furthest away from the controller when the Home button is on the right.
(Remember the sticks use magnetism to sense if and in which direction the sticks are moved,
so having magnetic objects in close proximity to the controller can affect a stick calibration).

Good points. I also agree that the magnetic strip of the iPad can interfere. But IMO not with these sticks, and not at this distance anyway.

I´ve found the hall sticks of the MP to be quite good and very precise in fact. It´s supposedly the best tech for this application anyway, and it´s already developed enough to be noise and interference free even in relatively cheap and simple sticks, so I don´t think it´s a quality or even QC problem. But of course that´s a possibility.

I´ve already opened and performed a fix in my left stick (I broke the pivot) and it´s very well built. I´ve improved smoothness and sensitivity/resistance of both sticks and did a calibration and mine are absolutelly spot on, slightly better than when they came.

Also remember that the GPS in these drones aren´t absolutelly accurate. Not RTK level for sure, which means ~3m or more variation is to be expected, and it would be only noticeable to the sides of course. That means the drone would "wander" sideways a bit within a margin, if wind is strong or even mild, or even by itself when it´s supposed to fly absolutely straight.

I just watched the video. If he's trying to track the road, then the field of view ought to have the road in the center of the screen. It's not. Before he ever starts moving forward, the road is already aimed a few degrees to the right of center.

upload_2017-2-16_15-36-35.png

He needs to YAW (rotate) the aircraft to the right so the road is lined up with the red line. As soon as he applied forward stick the MP tracks straight to the tall building at the tip of the red arrow.

Anyone who takes the time to download and watch this video will see this is 100% operator input. He's simply not using the yaw controls (left/right input on the left stick). Once he sees it's tracking to the left of the road, he backs up, and ROLLS right - that is, right input on the right stick - but never does anything to change he heading.

OP, aim your bird so that the road is dead center of the video screen... This is neither drift, wind, or sticks.

If yaw is at 0 degrees it has to fly right unless opposing props are on distributed incorrectly. It's physics 101
These TX's use a totally different type of control from the common stick controls you may be used to. The Mavic uses a Hall effect style of switch. It uses magnetics to determine position. No amount of calibrations have corrected the issue for me. My sticks claim to be at zero when calibrating. When you look at it again immediately after a successful calibration they are off by several percentage points. Very frustrating and it makes controlling the Mavic very challenging.

Well..., I'm glad that I'm not the only experiencing drift while trying to fly straight ahead. I thought I was cockeyed, or something.

Mine drifts also. Fly straight with 0 yaw, and it will track at a slight angle. With compass and GPS, it should not matter if there is a slight crosswind (there pretty much always is at altitude). It should be able to compensate.

But I'm one of the ones who has experienced sudden GPS dropout and consistent magnetic interference warnings with compass switch whenever flying in sport mode. Yahoo.

Yup I have to agree with poeple stating the MAVIC drifts , for me to the left when going straight up on the sticks..Phantom never did this...for me I just make corrections when flying and I'm fine...it can be a problem for filming a documentary etc..as its doesn't look all that professional when you are making slight course corrections in the flight...MAVIC sure does fly on an angle but more pronounced on sport mode and I kinda expected it. I'm going to keep an eye on it if it worsens...Wind could also be a factor so I am going to test on calm day with zero wind at low altitudes ...

Honestly I've never noticed this until today.. and wow annoying, was trying to track straight to do a fly over of a tower and after 5 attempts agree with you 100%.

Reactions: jamesw
I am guessing this was in GPS mode?

<or>

Was the Mavic drinking? Have you asked the Mavic to "straighten up and fly *NOT* right (or left)"?. Sorry - terrible I know, but it was too easy. Good luck getting this issue straightened out.

I am guessing this was in GPS mode?

<or>

Was the Mavic drinking? Have you asked the Mavic to "straighten up and fly *NOT* right (or left)"?. Sorry - terrible I know, but it was too easy. Good luck getting this issue straightened out.

Of course GPS mode

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hey! Any chance Tapfly mode to click down the street nets you a better result? I know this is not a perfect resolution but winder if it will narrow down the issue?

If i may revive this topic :) Has anyone gotten closer to a solution or is the mavic just not better than this?
I am on my first replacement drone now. I replaced it because of it not flying straight and som issue with the video quality. My replacement wont fly straigt either. It clearly drifts off to the side.
The issue may be related to gimbal not pointing straight as i can see the camera slowly pans when i stop after a turn and the aircraft hovers. I'll try to get a video of this uploaded.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J