DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why your pizza may never be delivered by drone

i live less then 1/10 of a mile from my go to pizza place.
and if he tried to deliver by drone. it would crash right away. all the trees and power, phone, cable lines around.

Reactions: caleb1
Pizza might not, but others things probably will.

not around this area. trees and wires in the air. all most nothing can be underground here do to way too much rock.
pge tried to install new gas piping using one of those horizontal drilling machines, in a week they killed at least 3-4 bits a DAY. turned to a older tech, a rotary grinder type of power machine. and it even broke some of the teeth off it.

not around this area. trees and wires in the air. all most nothing can be underground here do to way too much rock.
pge tried to install new gas piping using one of those horizontal drilling machines, in a week they killed at least 3-4 bits a DAY. turned to a older tech, a rotary grinder type of power machine. and it even broke some of the teeth off it.

Is there a post office or UPS store near you? Just think of those stores as hubs for drone deliveries. Amazon already has delivery lockers.

Is there a post office or UPS store near you? Just think of those stores as hubs for drone deliveries. Amazon already has delivery lockers.
i can already get as quick as next day via ups or amazon. to my po box. or street address, but due to my work hrs it ends up as second day. as i go to work before delivery. and get home long after everything is closed for the day. (order online at say 11:pm. on my sunday night, pick up on my way to work on my tuesday am. i work weekends, my friday is tuesday on the calendar).
but again trees and wires are a problem for drones around here.

Ground based autonomous vehicles will be less problematic. Partnering delivery services with an existing ride sharing program like Uber has been field tested too.

I think the whole "delivery by drones is the future" proposal is a great publicity stunt by Amazon. Here we are still discussing their services years after the first press release.

Ground based autonomous vehicles will be less problematic. Partnering delivery services with an existing ride sharing program like Uber has been field tested too.

I think the whole "delivery by drones is the future" proposal is a great publicity stunt by Amazon. Here we are still discussing their services years after the first press release.

Im not sure I agree with your logic. You think that ground based autonomous vehicles will be less problematic than a 20 pound drone? I have had many deliveries made by Uber/Amazon drivers, and they come at odd hours, and dont let you know when they will be there. They have also delivered my package to the wrong address more than once.

In addition, adding more autonomous "Johnny-Cab" type of delivery vehicles to the road will take a very long time to roll out. They can kill people alot more easily than a drone can.

People are still discussing Amazons proposed drone delivery service due to politics and red tape that Amazon has had to endure. Amazon would probably be delivering daily if it got the green light to implement its plan earlier this year or last year. They were excluded.

Im not sure I agree with your logic. You think that ground based autonomous vehicles will be less problematic than a 20 pound drone? I have had many deliveries made by Uber/Amazon drivers, and they come at odd hours, and dont let you know when they will be there. They have also delivered my package to the wrong address more than once.

In addition, adding more autonomous "Johnny-Cab" type of delivery vehicles to the road will take a very long time to roll out. They can kill people alot more easily than a drone can.

People are still discussing Amazons proposed drone delivery service due to politics and red tape that Amazon has had to endure. Amazon would probably be delivering daily if it got the green light to implement its plan earlier this year or last year. They were excluded.

I questioned your honesty until you mentioned Amazon's "odd hours" and "wrong address" parts. It was then that your integrity was fully restored in my book! ;)

Reactions: Former Member
I questioned your honesty until you mentioned Amazon's "odd hours" and "wrong address" parts. It was then that your integrity was fully restored in my book! ;)

I guess you have had similar experiences? lol

I still like Amazons delivery service contractors better than US Mail, UPS, or Fedex ground. Amazon drivers drop stuff at my doorstep and take a picture of the item. UPS, US Mail, and Fedex are not so diligent.

Reactions: iowahill

We disagree. Ground-based commercial delivery is certainly less problematic than autonomous flying vehicles. We've had home delivery via ground for over 100 years.

Still waiting for my jet pack and flying car I was promised in 1965. Same problem. Hasn't been fixed

Still waiting for my jet pack and flying car I was promised in 1965. Same problem. Hasn't been fixed

I read that issue of Popular Science too. Maybe they were waiting for you to order it? lol

We disagree. Ground-based commercial delivery is certainly less problematic than autonomous flying vehicles. We've had home delivery via ground for over 100 years.

Depends on your definition of problematic. With the low incidence of air traffic incidents, and the high incidence of people, dogs, and other objects being run over every year by UPS, taxis, and pizza drivers, I think drones would be a low risk alternative.

Last edited:
I read that issue of Popular Science too. Maybe they were waiting for you to order it? lol

Depends on your definition of problematic. With the low incidence of air traffic incidents, and the high incidence of people, dogs, and other objects being run over every year by UPS, taxis, and pizza drivers, I think drones would be a low risk alternative.

I agree that there are far fewer delivery drone accidents compared to road vehicle accidents. But only because there are zero delivery drones. And because vehicles on the road outnumber aircraft on the sky by a ratio of ten million to one at any given time. Completely unreasonable comparison regardless of how you define "problematic".

I agree that there are far fewer delivery drone accidents compared to road vehicle accidents. But only because there are zero delivery drones. And because vehicles on the road outnumber aircraft on the sky by a ratio of ten million to one at any given time. Completely unreasonable comparison regardless of how you define "problematic".

You still have neglected to explain what your definition of "problematic" is.

Your point about # of vehicles vs # of aircraft is irrelevant. Miles traveled is more relevant, but you ignored or were uninformed of that fact.

3.2 trillion miles driven by cars every year
53 billion miles by airplanes every year

Thats 60 to 1, not ten million to one.

6 million car accidents in 2017
399 air fatalities in 2017

Flying is actually the safest mode of transportation. In fact, the odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights, with odds of dying one in 11 million. Your chances of dying in a car or traffic accident are one in 5,000.

Drones will be safer than vehicle deliveries. Drones are automated, vehicles are manually operated. Vehicles have ground traffic, pedestrians and obstacles. Drones dont.

Dats da facts, jack.

That argument is so convoluted and nonsensical it is self-negating.

In Dec 2013 Jeff Bezos himself promised Amazon would be delivering by drones within a 5 year deadline. That didn't happen. And this year they were denied an exemption to fly outside line of site. They aren't even talking about it any more. Just a publicity and marketing stunt and people fell for it.

How Amazon's 5 Year Drone Delivery Plan FAILED (article)

I commend you for hanging in there but widespread home delivery by drone in the US is about as likely as personal jet packs and flying cars. Pure fantasy.

That argument is so convoluted and nonsensical it is self-negating.

In Dec 2013 Jeff Bezos himself promised Amazon would be delivering by drones within a 5 year deadline. That didn't happen. And this year they were denied an exemption to fly outside line of site. They aren't even talking about it any more. Just a publicity and marketing stunt and people fell for it.

How Amazon's 5 Year Drone Delivery Plan FAILED (article)

I commend you for hanging in there but widespread home delivery by drone in the US is about as likely as personal jet packs and flying cars. Pure fantasy.

First of all, this is 2018, not 1965. Somehow you are stuck on "personal jet packs" and "flying cars" like they are fiction, or out of Popular Science. They are not fiction. You think along the same lines as flat earthers.

The only reason why Amazon was denied anything was due to politics. They would be well into drone deliveries by now if they were part of (or leaders in) the tech summit, but they werent invited, for obvious reasons.

You keep mentioning that Amazon did it as a marketing and publicity stunt. For who? To what end? Publicity stunts are to draw attention to something fictitious and misleading. Neither was the reason in Amazons case. They want to deliver by drone. Period. End of sentence. They blow every other company away when it comes to expedited delivery, using their and other methods, so they are ripe to break ground in this new delivery technology. They have the money and the desire.

Are you seriously going to use that article as a leg to stand on that Amazon isnt talking about it any more? If so, then maybe you missed the part in the article where Amazon says, “We are committed to making our goal of delivering packages by drones in 30 minutes or less a reality.” If ANYONE could make it happen, it's Amazon. They are pioneers and entrepreneurs.

With the advent of LAANC, drone delivery is more possible than ever. But instead of making Amazon a supplier, DJI got a piece of it.

Politics and red tape are the only things standing in Amazons way.

I commend you for hanging in there

"I have not yet begun to fight!" JPJ lol

First of all, this is 2018, not 1965. Somehow you are stuck on "personal jet packs" and "flying cars" like they are fiction, or out of Popular Science. They are not fiction. You think along the same lines as flat earthers.

The only reason why Amazon was denied anything was due to politics. They would be well into drone deliveries by now if they were part of (or leaders in) the tech summit, but they werent invited, for obvious reasons.

You keep mentioning that Amazon did it as a marketing and publicity stunt. For who? To what end? Publicity stunts are to draw attention to something fictitious and misleading. Neither was the reason in Amazons case. They want to deliver by drone. Period. End of sentence. They blow every other company away when it comes to expedited delivery, using their and other methods, so they are ripe to break ground in this new delivery technology. They have the money and the desire.

Are you seriously going to use that article as a leg to stand on that Amazon isnt talking about it any more? If so, then maybe you missed the part in the article where Amazon says, “We are committed to making our goal of delivering packages by drones in 30 minutes or less a reality.” If ANYONE could make it happen, it's Amazon. They are pioneers and entrepreneurs.

With the advent of LAANC, drone delivery is more possible than ever. But instead of making Amazon a supplier, DJI got a piece of it.

Politics and red tape are the only things standing in Amazons way.

"I have not yet begun to fight!" JPJ lol

You have drank the Kool-Aid. All of it

"I commend you for hanging in there but widespread home delivery by drone in the US is about as likely as personal jet packs and flying cars. Pure fantasy. "
This futuristic jet pack lets users fly up to 10,000 feet in the sky

The video you linked to was only another PROTOTYPE for a hover board. NOT a jet pack at all. Not even a real product.

Zapata couldn't pass safety tests and the weight of carried fuel only allowed a brief 10 minute flight. They only manufactured a handful of these contraptions to attract investors and never sold a single unit. There have been dozens of similar designs over the years that have all failed.

This was just another fluff piece by NBC news. You fell that one even worse than the drone home delivery fake news.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078