DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

will the FAA know if i fly over 400Ft?

excellent advice… However you're wrong about one thing: it does show helicopters.
Actually it doesn't show all helicopters, just some, I live in a 492ft flight ceiling limit with a local airport about 10 miles away from me, I often (like today) launch my Mavic 3 from the back garden to around 250ft AGL straight up only just to test the zoom facility on a 360 deg sweep, & I know for a fact that no commercial aircraft come within 1.4 miles of me & even then they are at 2000ft AGL on approach to runway, but today I heard a Helicopter as they are lower altitude & very loud & it looked to be at 1000ft, nothing on Flightradar 24 or Flightracker & this has been the same for the last 5 or more helicopters that have flew local to me, so just bear that in mind, the apps are great for the big jets or light aircraft, but very poor for the helicopters.

I know the regulations...but sometimes i like to fly over 400ft. Does DJI reports our flights to the FAA?
I know the regulations...but sometimes i like to fly over 400ft. Does DJI reports our flights to the FAA?
Like they say Look before you leap... or fly.. i have a police copter too.. i bet 98% or the users here fly over 400 ft now and again.. i only do that when i want to get a great sunset shot or early morning shot before sunrise.. but i go straight up and dont move, my gps sez im within 2-5ft from my location, i do a pano.. then come straight down as fast as i went up, as i said in other post, when your that high pano is great but most of your shots are Earth bound.. so a couple hundred feet is optimum and looks the best.. or if your just with friends and or your dog in the park.. i go like 50 ft and shoot circle pano and stuff but i would not go cruizing at higher then 400 ft like around your neighborhood thats just askin for trouble.. but at 400ft you cant see the drone but a little dot and that is if your straining your eyes, for most ppl that even sees it which is 0% they would think its a eye floater.

I think the key is not if you legally can but should you? I know where I am at, I see aircraft all the time flying at what looks to be 500-700ft. Since legally they can be flying at 500ft, some might. They move very fast and for you to get out of the way, especially when you get over 400ft line of sight becomes more difficult, it is just not worth the risk. Think about it, if you hit an aircraft and actually cause that aircraft to be downed, is it really worth the lives you endangered? Also, if more people start going over the 400ft limit and shared airspace with airplanes and helicopters, new laws and restrictions will be put on us making it even harder to fly legally.
Syphon. I agree with all of this. It simply isn’t worth flying over 400’. I must say, every once in awhile an ultralight comes cruising over at less than 400’. If my drone is up, I’m not sure what else to do except fall fast. Overlapping airspace is a problem sometimes.

If you're dead set on doing this make sure you take some precautions to mitigate risk. (I am not condoning going over 400, but if you're going to do it, you should be as safe as possible!)

1. Use a spotter.
They can keep an eye on the sky and the app referenced below.

2. Use FlightRadar24.com
View air traffic in your area and click on a plane to see their altitude. (THIS APP DOES NOT SHOW HELICOPTERS! You really need to look out for those, as they are more likely to be flying at the altitudes you are flying at.)

3. Fly late at night / early morning with strobes on.
Flying at night with strobes is actually safer than flying in daylight. You can see aircraft easier and they can see you. Stick at least one strobe on top for an anti-collision light. (There should also be less air traffic late)

Again, I don't think you should do this but I'm not your Pop. Be careful!
Yep.. We all will go now and again above 400 ft and we should be safe as possible.. Just like when you drive on the frwy... everyone here that drives a car does not drive the speed limit 100% of the time that i guarantee but when we speed we always look in our rear view mirror and foward view for Johnny LAW.. so i agree with you flying a drone and driving a car we always follow the rules.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147