DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will the Mavic land itself in a no fly zone?

mschwind200

Reactions
Ok so say that i'm flying my Mavic, and I fly into a No-Fly zone and as I enter I realise it's a no fly zone and turn back around. I had a few questions,

1) Will the drone even let itself go past the red shield on the map, or does it act as a barrier? Do I get a warning saying I am entering a no fly zone and I can continue flying or will it just not let me in at all?

2) If I enter a no fly zone, will the Mavic automatically land or return to home or something? Or will it just fly regardless?

Reactions: bertie
I have had approval to fly in a NFZ once before and will say that prior to unlocking the NFZ the Mavic would take off but only go up to about 10 or 15 feet then hover. The diagram is missing in the Mavic manual but the P3 manual has a pretty good diagram and explanation for the behaviour approaching a NFZ, unless anyone has tested the theory I think that is how the Mavic would behave.

Also worth pointing out that some zones like Class D airspace will not affect flight but you will get warnings in DJI GO that you are in Class D Airspace and you should know the local regulations.

I live in a Class D zone and had to self authorise in order to be able to fly via the DJO GO 4 app and after the last update I took the drone into my back garden to do the first test flight 5 feet off the ground and the drone took off and immediately landed and forced me to repeat the Class D authorisation .....

It was almost like it took a while to check and had forgot to check the authorisation.

I live in a Class D zone and had to self authorise in order to be able to fly via the DJO GO 4 app and after the last update I took the drone into my back garden to do the first test flight 5 feet off the ground and the drone took off and immediately landed and forced me to repeat the Class D authorisation .....

It was almost like it took a while to check and had forgot to check the authorisation.

Thats interesting, I sometimes fly on the very outer edge of a class D according to airmap.com and DJI GO simply warns me.

Ok so say that i'm flying my Mavic, and I fly into a No-Fly zone and as I enter I realise it's a no fly zone and turn back around. I had a few questions
I can tell you how this works with Phantoms
I believe it works the same way with Mavics:

1. if you already are in no-fly zone (or in restricted area you didn't unlock), you will not able to even start motors
2. if you are flying outside no-fly zone and you are approaching no-fly zone, DJI GO will warn you that you are approaching it and then, in the moment Mavic gets to no-fly zone, it will bounce off of the border like there is some invisible wall and there will be warning in DJI GO saying "Touch a no-fly zone"

Reactions: Raj24v
Ive had a different experience with my Mavic. I was flying in a Class D airspace which I always have flown near my house. I decided to fly over a narrow water passage to the land on the opposite side over a quiet park. Half way across the message came up on the screen so quickly I couldn't tell what it said the Mavic started to decend from 180 ft down to about 15 feet. I freaked out and kept the left stick upward trying to prevent it from landing in water and I just made it to opposite side where I landed. I composed myself and then went to take off and had to give the app authorization to lift off. It took off and I flew back over the water to my home. I realized that half way across the way crosses into a NFZ. It didn't stop the craft but rather forced it to 15 feet above water.

I have had approval to fly in a NFZ once before and will say that prior to unlocking the NFZ the Mavic would take off but only go up to about 10 or 15 feet then hover. The diagram is missing in the Mavic manual but the P3 manual has a pretty good diagram and explanation for the behaviour approaching a NFZ, unless anyone has tested the theory I think that is how the Mavic would behave.

How did you unlock it? I'm on fairly good terms with my local regional airport and I'd love to do some runway shots for them.

Ok so say that i'm flying my Mavic, and I fly into a No-Fly zone and as I enter I realise it's a no fly zone and turn back around. I had a few questions,

1) Will the drone even let itself go past the red shield on the map, or does it act as a barrier? Do I get a warning saying I am entering a no fly zone and I can continue flying or will it just not let me in at all?

2) If I enter a no fly zone, will the Mavic automatically land or return to home or something? Or will it just fly regardless?

I just did the last fly safe update . And I was flying in in the nfz inside the blue line circle by airport .. like I always did ,, but this time I was 2 miles out and started getting heavy aircraft interference,, next thing I knew it said automatic landing in 20 seconds,, I couldn’t do anything to stop it .. ended finding my drone landed in middle of a residential street.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky