Join Us Now

World-Wide UAV Rules and Regulations Wiki

clackey

Founder
Staff Member
Reactions
Site
dronepilots.media
We created a wiki so members can post and access information on UAV rules around the world.

Feel free to post links to the rules for your country. We can also expand it to states, territories, etc.. if members are interested in keeping up with that level of details.

C.

Planning an extended trip to New Zealand in about a year so I'm starting my research.

Does anyone have contact info for Colombia “FAA” type office? I’m trying to get special permission to fly near an airport. Thanks 😊

Rules and regulation in France :
&

There are multiple websites that purport to provide drone regs around the world. They all seem out of date/not maintained, none of them agree with any other. Examples include this forum, UAV Coach, Drone Traveler, and probably many more. There is no consistency. It's F*#@! frustrating. In my (admittedly limited) experience, drone laws seem to be routinely (maybe almost always?) ignored around the world (I've seen places where the sky was thick with drones, in national parks where supposedly drones were banned). Most of what I see on YouTube (even in promotional material for Drone manufacturers) appear to be blatant violations.

I want to try to comply (because I want to stay out of jail, and I don't want to cause a crackdown), but just finding the real, current regulations is maddening, and I can understand why so many people appear to just say "oh, **** it" and give up on trying to follow the rules.

Is there ANY place where one can find the real, up-to-date, correct, real-world, overseas rules in plain language? If there is, I'd love to know where it is, because I have not found it yet.

Anybody know? Or do you all just say "f**ck it, if it's that complicated, I'm just gonna ignore all the rules!"
(Note I am not advocating that, but that seems to be what most people end up doing...)

There are multiple websites that purport to provide drone regs around the world. They all seem out of date/not maintained, none of them agree with any other. Examples include this forum, UAV Coach, Drone Traveler, and probably many more. There is no consistency. It's F*#@! frustrating. In my (admittedly limited) experience, drone laws seem to be routinely (maybe almost always?) ignored around the world (I've seen places where the sky was thick with drones, in national parks where supposedly drones were banned). Most of what I see on YouTube (even in promotional material for Drone manufacturers) appear to be blatant violations.

I want to try to comply (because I want to stay out of jail, and I don't want to cause a crackdown), but just finding the real, current regulations is maddening, and I can understand why so many people appear to just say "oh, **** it" and give up on trying to follow the rules.

Is there ANY place where one can find the real, up-to-date, correct, real-world, overseas rules in plain language? If there is, I'd love to know where it is, because I have not found it yet.

Anybody know? Or do you all just say "f**ck it, if it's that complicated, I'm just gonna ignore all the rules!"
(Note I am not advocating that, but that seems to be what most people end up doing...)

There is definitely not a single source. And it's definitely maddening to try to ferret out the real, current regulations.

The best bet is the civil aviation authority in the particular country. The regulations are hidden on their websites somewhere.

There is definitely not a single source. And it's definitely maddening to try to ferret out the real, current regulations.

The best bet is the civil aviation authority in the particular country. The regulations are hidden on their websites somewhere.
And sometimes regulations are only available in a language I can not understand (many do not have English language versions of regulations posted). And it's often the case that foreign government regulations, if posted at all, are incredibly dense, written in highly bureaucratic "legalese." It's hard enough for most folks (even educated, motivated ones) to fully understand their own nation's laws and regulations even when posted in their native language. Try that with foreign language, foreign government websites.

As an example, I'm hoping to visit Turkey later this year. I've found little online that appears reliable/consistent. According to the "Drone Traveller" website, their high-level summary looks great and makes it appear that for a small drone (eg a Mini), there are minimal requirements: recreational and even commercial drones are allowed, after a simple registration, no mandatory insurance, 120 meter max altitude, no badge needed, just keep away from airports and respect privacy of people. Simple, reasonable. Awesome! Right? But user comments posted below their summary say all kinds of contradictory things: the stated requirements are only for commercial drones; registration is required and only Turkish citizens can register, use of drones by foreigners is strictly prohibited (you must have a Turkish National ID number to register, and without registration, it's illegal); several posters warn that upon arrival in Turkey, customs will confiscate your drone. One person reports customs took his drone and he had to pay them $70 to get it back as he was leaving the country. Another says he did no registration at all (nor any other regulatory compliance) and just flew his drone a lot and had no trouble whatsoever.

Meanwhile, over on UAV Coach, they repeat many of the "it's easy, no problem!" happy talk -- only have to register if drone is over 500 grams, approval only required for commercial flights, 120 meter altitude limit, etc. Then they go on to say foreigners can NOT register, and customs WILL seize your drone upon your arrival unless you have an approved "technical compliance" certificate (which may require you to submit "your criminal record from your embassy" -- I can only imagine that...). As an encouraging example, they show drone footage shot right over central Istanbul (the old city showing lots of huge, world-heritage religious monuments which are about as sensitive a place as you can get), and in a city as densely populated as could be imagined anywhere. I'm more than a little skeptical that it's legal (never mind wise) to just launch your drone and fly it around there, and expect no interest from the authorities. Maybe I'm just needlessly paranoid? Turkey's government is not exactly known for it's soft, gentle management of issues. And yeah, I've seen that movie, so I don't want to get on the wrong side of the Turkish police.

I'd prefer to play by the rules if that's at all possible (or maybe I'd just leave the drone at home). But it's hard to know what the *#@! rules actually are.

And sometimes regulations are only available in a language I can not understand (many do not have English language versions of regulations posted). And it's often the case that foreign government regulations, if posted at all, are incredibly dense, written in highly bureaucratic "legalese." It's hard enough for most folks (even educated, motivated ones) to fully understand their own nation's laws and regulations even when posted in their native language. Try that with foreign language, foreign government websites.

As an example, I'm hoping to visit Turkey later this year. I've found little online that appears reliable/consistent. According to the "Drone Traveller" website, their high-level summary looks great and makes it appear that for a small drone (eg a Mini), there are minimal requirements: recreational and even commercial drones are allowed, after a simple registration, no mandatory insurance, 120 meter max altitude, no badge needed, just keep away from airports and respect privacy of people. Simple, reasonable. Awesome! Right? But user comments posted below their summary say all kinds of contradictory things: the stated requirements are only for commercial drones; registration is required and only Turkish citizens can register, use of drones by foreigners is strictly prohibited (you must have a Turkish National ID number to register, and without registration, it's illegal); several posters warn that upon arrival in Turkey, customs will confiscate your drone. One person reports customs took his drone and he had to pay them $70 to get it back as he was leaving the country. Another says he did no registration at all (nor any other regulatory compliance) and just flew his drone a lot and had no trouble whatsoever.

Meanwhile, over on UAV Coach, they repeat many of the "it's easy, no problem!" happy talk -- only have to register if drone is over 500 grams, approval only required for commercial flights, 120 meter altitude limit, etc. Then they go on to say foreigners can NOT register, and customs WILL seize your drone upon your arrival unless you have an approved "technical compliance" certificate (which may require you to submit "your criminal record from your embassy" -- I can only imagine that...). As an encouraging example, they show drone footage shot right over central Istanbul (the old city showing lots of huge, world-heritage religious monuments which are about as sensitive a place as you can get), and in a city as densely populated as could be imagined anywhere. I'm more than a little skeptical that it's legal (never mind wise) to just launch your drone and fly it around there, and expect no interest from the authorities. Maybe I'm just needlessly paranoid? Turkey's government is not exactly known for it's soft, gentle management of issues. And yeah, I've seen that movie, so I don't want to get on the wrong side of the Turkish police.

I'd prefer to play by the rules if that's at all possible (or maybe I'd just leave the drone at home). But it's hard to know what the *#@! rules actually are.

I can offer sympathy but not much in the way of solutions.

Try doing similar searches for US drone laws. You'll find the same issues. Then imagine that you speak only Turkish. Or Icelandic or German or French. Even if you speak English, the private sites that purport to offer comprehensive summaries of US drone regulations will leave you confused or frustrated or misinformed. And the comments from individuals will also be all over the spectrum.

Back when I used big 35mm cameras and several lenses, I realized that travel was more enjoyable without lugging around all that gear and shooting pictures instead of "being there." Maybe the same thing applies to these flying cameras. Especially when you're not clear on the regulations and have to wonder whether everyone in uniform you encounter is going to confiscate your drone.

Last edited:
Oh, I do get all that. Being a native English speaker (with easy and reliable internet availability) is overall a huge net advantage/privilege, and the US is not necessarily any better in terms of making things discoverable for anyone, never mind foreigners. Still, it's a major PITA.

I still lug the DSLR and expensive/fragile glass, now with the drone bag along, too. At least the drone is light!

Reactions: MS Coast
Coinciding air charter operations, the real commercial operations are under part 135. These are the drone delivery for hire regs. Sure, I don't need part 135 to take pictures of that other house, but on the other hand why do I need part 107 for that?

Hello fellow pilots! I'm flying drones just for fun and travel videos/pictures. Having 2 DJI drones (Air 2 and Air 2S), I decided to purchase Mini 3 Pro for reason. It was marketed as 'Sub-250g drone' which does not require registration in most countries. We travel to Europe often, so we decided to invest in Mini 3 Pro, and we did. That is the nice drone. But, unfortunately, after some deeper research, I realised that I still have to register myself (not the drone) as a pilot in any of EU countries, because it has 'reistration device' (camera). Also, as a non EU citizen (I'm US citizen), I have to pass some kind of exam for registration as the pilot. At least I saw that requirement in many 'countrie rules'. There is no way I will invest my money and time in those education and test activities.
My questions: is there any Europe country where test is not required for non-citizen registration? If yes, can somebody provide the step-by-step registration guidance with the links? And finally - which countries around the world allow flying sub-250 drones without any prior legal activities? I understand, that I still have to comply with all local restrictions, restricted geo-zones, national parks, etc. It looks like Canada is the one. Who's else?
Thank you in advance for all your responses.

Last edited:
Hello fellow pilots! I'm flying drones just for fun and travel videos/pictures. Having 2 DJI drones (Air 2 and Air 2S), I decided to purchase Mini 3 Pro for reason. It was marketed as 'Sub-250g drone' which does not require registration in most countries. We travel to Europe often, so we decided to invest in Mini 3 Pro, and we did. That is the nice drone. But, unfortunately, after some deeper research, I realised that I still have to register myself (not the drone) as a pilot in any of EU countries, because it has 'reistration device' (camera). Also, as a non EU citizen (I'm US citizen), I have to pass some kind of exam for registration as the pilot. At least I saw that requirement in many 'countrie rules'. There is no way I will invest my money and time in those education and test activities.
My questions: is there any Europe country where test is not required for non-citizen registration? If yes, can somebody provide the step-by-step registration guidance with the links? And finally - which countries around the world allow flying sub-250 drones without any prior legal activities? I understand, that I still have to comply with all local restrictions, restricted geo-zones, national parks, etc. It looks like Canada is the one. Who's else?
Thank you in advance for all your responses.
If you're not willing to take a test, you'll have to skip all 27 European Union countries, as well as Great Britain, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, and Norway.

The test was not difficult to pass after reading through the regulations, which a visiting pilot ought to do even if the test wasn't required.

In EU there is a central regulation now and all member states must adhere to it without any significant deviations.
There are two foundational requirements which you will have to adhere to for every camera drone:
- registrations as an operator
- get a pilot license depending on your target area of flying and the weight of your drone
Keep in mind that operators and pilots are different entities. Each operator can have 1+ pilots.

Now how to adhere to it:
- as an operator, you need to register in the country where you conduct your first operation. if you first fly in Austria, and then go to Italy and Slovenia - register as an operator in Austria. The drawback here is that most authorities and registration forms are in local languages, so prepare to some challenges here. It can also be paid in some countries.
- for the pilot license you have two options: A1/A3 license and A2 license. To get A2 you need to first get A1/A3.
Regarding the difference in capabilities please refer to the EASA page. You can't find anything more authoritative and it's in English.

Also, keep in mind that your license doesn't have to be from the same country as your operator registration.

Regarding costs and time for the pilot license, I did A1/A3 in Slovenia for free about a year ago. Don't have a link, but I hope you can google it. It took just a few hours. I haven't seen the free A2 exam though.
Also I know that a few websites offered training in English with both A1/A3 and A2 exams in the Netherlands.

Fact remains that many countries are in a state of flux. They all have Civil Aviation departments. Most follow the general rules of the US...some countries don't even permit drones being brought in until recently. Each Caribbean nation has its own rules. Tahiti may require Part 107. But there are no definitive compendiums of international laws unless UAV coach or Drone Traveler updates constantly? After 911, there was a photographer's website that listed all the issues at every international airport regarding rules of Xraying film. And photojournalists were active in doing updates or adding comments. It was extremely helpful. Perhaps this forum can produce an added forum easily accessed, easily updated by members....with the "official laws" and the local custom of what is permitted or "allowed." Just sayin...The rules in the UK changed drastically a couple of years ago.

Fact remains that many countries are in a state of flux. They all have Civil Aviation departments. Most follow the general rules of the US...some countries don't even permit drones being brought in until recently. Each Caribbean nation has its own rules. Tahiti may require Part 107. But there are no definitive compendiums of international laws unless UAV coach or Drone Traveler updates constantly? After 911, there was a photographer's website that listed all the issues at every international airport regarding rules of Xraying film. And photojournalists were active in doing updates or adding comments. It was extremely helpful. Perhaps this forum can produce an added forum easily accessed, easily updated by members....with the "official laws" and the local custom of what is permitted or "allowed." Just sayin...The rules in the UK changed drastically a couple of years ago.
Yes, we have a Wiki for this. Anyone can update it.

I volunteer for a website that provides comprehensive coverage of drone laws for every country. They have links to the regulators and other important regulatory sites and are updated regularly. The material there is based on interpretations of the regulations in place at the time of each update, and of course, users add their own experience in the comments section. It is open-sourced. Here is a link: Drone Laws

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc