DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wouldn't it be simpler...1kg

Hiwayman

Reactions
Wouldn't it be simpler if the CAA changed the 900g threshold to 1kg ?
That way my M2Ps and possible future M3Ps could all have scope to add prop guards/ filters etc without any issue. Where did 900g come from anyway?
Personally, I'd gladly reduce the 25kg threshold my OA gives me, for a small increase in the 900 g limit.
I can't help wondering if this is lurking somewhere which explains why the M3P hits the scale at 960g
Would it really be such a great issue to give us a 1 kg limit???

That way my M2Ps and possible future M3Ps could all have scope to add prop guards/ filters etc without any issue. Where did 900g come from anyway?
Personally, I'd gladly reduce the 25kg threshold my OA gives me, for a small increase in the 900 g limit.
I can't help wondering if this is lurking somewhere which explains why the M3P hits the scale at 960g
900g is almost exactly 2 pounds. Honestly that's the only thing I can think of, is that the regulation-writing started off with imperial and then eventually switched to metric and they just rounded it to 900g instead of 907g.

Reactions: Hiwayman
I think the classes are based on likely impact energies or something like that i.e. the potential to cause significant injury. If that is correct then increasing the mass would reduce speed limits and, whilst you can limit horizontal speeds as you choose, you can't reduce free-fall terminal velocity unless you start playing with parachutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronecation
900g is almost exactly 2 pounds. Honestly that's the only thing I can think of, is that the regulation-writing started off with imperial and then eventually switched to metric and they just rounded it to 900g instead of 907g.
Pitty it wasn't used at 907 g.....that's the weight of the M2P ☹️

Reactions: Yaros
Can anyone tell me about the 900g weight limit on the UK? Does this mean that you need to have a certain certification or license in order to fly it? Are you able to simply buy a Mavic 3 Pro and fly it?

Can anyone tell me about the 900g weight limit on the UK? Does this mean that you need to have a certain certification or license in order to fly it? Are you able to simply buy a Mavic 3 Pro and fly it?

899.99999 grams is C1 and can fly in A1, 900.00000 grams is C2 and can only fly in A2 (if you have the permit) or A3, which basically renders the drone useless for legal flights inside the open category, which is where you want to be either if the use is professional or recreational.

So the Mavic 3 with the 3 lenses is useless (C2) and the Inspire 3, with it's C3 certificate even worse, as it can only fly at 150m of everything.

<250g falling at its terminal velocity will do nothing, <900g falling at its terminal velocity can hit hard, make a dent on the hood, potentially injure but not kill, and beyond 1Kg starts to get dangerous.

Last edited: