DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wrong altitude

Yes - I have the "normal" controller - I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
The height shown comes from a barometric sensor inside your drone.
The controller has nothing to do with it.

Now that you've said that two different drones have the same issue, I think that we need to pin down exactly what your issue is, because it's extremely rare that one would have an altitude problem and beyond unlikely that two would.

Do you realise that the height shown on your screen is the height above the level of your launch point, not the height above the ground below the drone?
Can you post recorded flight data from a flight where you've observed the issue?

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

The height shown comes from a barometric sensor inside your drone.
The controller has nothing to do with it.

Now that you've said that two different drones have the same issue, I think that we need to pin down exactly what your issue is, because it's extremely rare that one would have an altitude problem and beyond unlikely that two would.

Do you realise that the height shown on your screen is the height above the level of your launch point, not the height above the ground below the drone?
Can you post recorded flight data from a flight where you've observed the issue?

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.
Thanks a lot!! :)

I just discovered this past week that the altitude showing on the controller is the altitude above your take off point.... assuming the drone gets a good gps signal before taking off.
Your indicated height comes from a different sensor and is independent of GPS.
Your drone registers the zero height immediately after it's powered up, well before acquiring GPS.

Another thing I discovered while trying to chase down a fishing boat out on the ocean with my mini 1.... I had a gps glitch on the drone running in sport mode... just happened to catch the red flagged notice on the iPhone screen... and the return to home location.... ie: distance back to me and altitude all changed drastically.
Your account is confused and doesn't make sense, GPS has no connection to indicated altitude.

I presume to where ever the drone was out over the ocean when it got the new gps signal.... If I had used the return to home option it would have been well over a thousand feet off from where I was.
Your drone gets a new GPS signal every 1/10th of a second.
Whatever actually happened, it wasn't what you thought it was.
Post flight data to find out what the issue really was.
I can't image how the altitude is determined by barometric pressure for the simple reason that has to be changing around the drone constantly while it is in flight .
Your drone gets it's primary altitude data from a barometric sensor, just like real planes do.

Reactions: Svend51
I can't image how the altitude is determined by barometric pressure for the simple reason that has to be changing around the drone constantly while it is in flight
As pointed out earlier, height is, indeed, determined by a barometric sensor in the drone. For the typical flight times and distances flown by most drones, the change in local barometric pressure would generally be very small to none.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki