DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

You can fly with more freedom and less fear if you have insurance.

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I suggest you buy DJI Care and get your drones covered by your personal insurance.
I feel I can be more creative and enjoy my flying when I don't have to worry about "accidents". DJI is not a multinational company, what I should have said that it is a very big, private and high profit-making company.

Reactions: Bxr532001
So does mine, but at the regular deductible, which is about the price of a MA2 w/Fly More. (Sigh)

Sorry but I don’t agree with you on DJI refresh.
My insurance covers loss, damage & theft where as with DJI refresh I would have to recover the drone & send it off to them not possible with loss or theft.

So does my personal insurance, we have both worked it out well, that is how to do it. To have both means you are pretty certain never to worry.
But we do what we feel comfortable with.
Are you flying professionally or as a hobby? As far as I have been able to ascertain no one will provide public liability insurance to hobby users in Australia.

Are you flying professionally or as a hobby? As far as I have been able to ascertain no one will provide public liability insurance to hobby users in Australia.

I am recreational & took out insurance with Coverdrone, it states Bodily Injury and Damage to Property Combined GBP 1,000,000 each Occurrence.
I think THIS LINK should take you to the Australian site.

I only fly as a hobby bushie and SGIO has provided me excellent cover for all my drones and many times. I don't usually fly near people or their property so that is not an issue for me.

I suggest you buy DJI Care and get your drones covered by your personal insurance.
I feel I can be more creative and enjoy my flying when I don't have to worry about "accidents". DJI is not a multinational company, what I should have said that it is a very big, private and high profit-making company.
Refresh it’s just a money grab.

They provide substandard insurance at an inflated price. No real insurance policy would require you to return the drone. At the markup they have a replacement refurbished is a huge moneymaker.

As I have said they have repaired and replaced my P4P and MM many times over before using the 2 care. But you have to see how you go. If you find it is not worth it then don't do it. I find it's excellent value based on my experience to date. If it changes then I will stop paying for it. But all insurance policies are designed for them to make a profit.
I have everything insured. That way I don't have to worry about things. House, car, holiday, personal stuff even my income from my job before I retired. I do lose out on holiday insurance but I don't mind. But my personal insurance and DJI care have been worth it, many times over. As always it depends on your own personal experience and needs.
Maybe it is my particular situation. I think being very grateful, polite and asking after their health and wellbeing goes a long way. You know these DJI technicians are on incomes way lower that most of the people here. They are always surprised and happy when I ask after them, I think they often get a lot of abuse.
Make someone happy today, it always pays off. And it costs you nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE CYBORG
I only fly as a hobby bushie and SGIO has provided me excellent cover for all my drones and many times. I don't usually fly near people or their property so that is not an issue for me.
One question ,why so many DJI refresh claims ?? unlucky ?? :eek:
ps.great English accent down under lol.....

As I have said they have repaired and replaced my P4P and MM many times over before using the 2 care. But you have to see how you go. If you find it is not worth it then don't do it. I find it's excellent value based on my experience to date. If it changes then I will stop paying for it. But all insurance policies are designed for them to make a profit.
I have everything insured. That way I don't have to worry about things. House, car, holiday, personal stuff even my income from my job before I retired. I do lose out on holiday insurance but I don't mind. But my personal insurance and DJI care have been worth it, many times over. As always it depends on your own personal experience and needs.
A profit is one thing -DJI care is just plain gouging. Since DJI drones are already priced 40% more that a fair market price, the replacement refurb costs them nothing for all intents.
DJI is assuming basically no risk - if you lost the drone you also lost the cost of the refresh, which makes them very happy.

Charging you more than an insurance company would for totally substandard terms is just a plain rip-off. With my State Farm policy that is half the cost, if I say I lost it they just write me a check - no inquisition just a check. And they cover everything controller and batteries, even if I not long have the drone, in fact I get to keep the drone.

You need to check into this a bit more an use some critical thinking before you make suboptimal recommendations.

Reactions: MavicMan64
Coming from the Aviation industry where the insurance company's will do everything within their powers to place blame on everyone and everything to keep from paying a benefit I have my doubts on purchasing insurance but State Farm is dumb enough to pay off if some fly's into a tree I say go for it but it won't last long.
Buying refresh because it allows one to be more daring/careless/creative? is probably counter productive to safety but it is what it is. I don't see anything wrong with DJI giving out a new drone for cost plus shipping..in fact I think it fairly generous knowing that not a small percentage of the drones they sell are going face first into the closest wall within minutes of the first launch.

If anybody can refer me a assurance company in Canada that will cover drone in the province of Quebec it will be raly cool but for now the only assurance i can get is the dji refresh it is not the best i know but...

Coming from the Aviation industry where the insurance company's will do everything within their powers to place blame on everyone and everything to keep from paying a benefit I have my doubts on purchasing insurance but State Farm is dumb enough to pay off if some fly's into a tree I say go for it but it won't last long.
Buying refresh because it allows one to be more daring/careless/creative? is probably counter productive to safety but it is what it is. I don't see anything wrong with DJI giving out a new drone for cost plus shipping..in fact I think it fairly generous knowing that not a small percentage of the drones they sell are going face first into the closest wall within minutes of the first launch.
State Farm uses it as a sales tool - I had to let my agent quote me for car and home - came out much higher but I got the policy without the others.

Accident Insurance cover is compulsory where I'm based.
Also 90 meter height limit, and no flying at night... actually I'm amazed so many country's do allow flying at night.
Wonder how many who bang on about LOS ☝️ fly at night relying on those little fairy lights?
Sorry for wandering off topic

Having spent quite a bit of time on this forum I think the advice should be the opposite, people should be more cautious with their drones not take more risks given the large number of crashes due to pilot error. DJI Care doesn't cover any damage to people or property and won't even cover an accident with the drone if you can't recover the drone which is far from unusual and there is a cost, it's nowhere near as much as the drone but care and two replacements is a reasonable chunk of money. I don't know how US companies function but here making a claim on insurance will usually put the premium up while multiple claims will quickly make the insurance either unaffordable or they'll decline to offer cover.

Personally just because I have insurance for something doesn't change my attitude, it's going to save some costs but it's time and hassle I'd rather not spend and it's downtime for my drone so I'd rather avoid having to use it in the first place. There's plenty other crashes to learn from which I've done and avoided them myself.

So does my personal insurance, we have both worked it out well, that is how to do it. To have both means you are pretty certain never to worry.
But we do what we feel comfortable with.

Does your personal insurance provide "hull coverage"?
I don't disagree with you. Both my drones have the Care/Refresh insurance, but my M2 now has all-risk coverage via State Farm in addition to the DJI insurance. The annual premium was $60. The only real exclusion is if I am flying it commercially. But I have to figure that if I'm flying it commerically, obviously the chance of an unrecoverable crash or fly-away is limited.

So here's a question regarding Care/Refresh... You can crash your drone and DJI will fix IT with Care/Refresh (with deductible, of course). BUT WILL IT COVER THE CONTROLLER should it be damaged??? It's my understanding that the State Farm insurance would cover the entire contents of the kit as they require an invoice for the purchase before underwriting.

State Farm policy ($75/year). Replacement coverage for the drone (M2P), controller, batteries, etc. No liability. No deductible. No dead drone required for payoff. I fly with care, but good to know I have the coverage. Bought it used, no DJI Refresh. No crashes yet. Been flyin' for almost 2 years. Mavic Pro then Mavic 2 Pro. Still learning all there is to know, from this forum. Keep posting! Recreational flying only.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54