DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

“Gimbal Vibration Abnormal” - Did We Ever Solve This?

RC5728

Reactions
I am on the other side of the world right now, and wanted to get some nice shots here, when suddenly my Mavic is doing the “gimbal vibration abnormal” message on loadup and displaying lots of jello even when it’s sitting on the ground. I’ve already checked the gimbal tabs, and it’s not that.

Did we ever solve this issue? I have personally returned SIX (6) Mavics over the last year due to gimbal issues like this. Except being in Asia right now, I’m not sure if there is even any way to have this fixed without a lot of expense and hassle (I made a separate thread about the logistics of doing that here: Buying a Mavic in Asia?)

Usually it’s the “gimbal motor overload” that has forced me to replace Mavics in the past, but both errors are similar and make the Mavic basically useless since the gimbal doesn’t work.

It’s incredibly frustrating and I can’t believe DJI still hasn’t fixed this after knowing about these issues for more than a year.

Do we have a solution?

I am on the other side of the world right now, and wanted to get some nice shots here, when suddenly my Mavic is doing the “gimbal vibration abnormal” message on loadup and displaying lots of jello even when it’s sitting on the ground. I’ve already checked the gimbal tabs, and it’s not that.

Do we have a solution?

I had the same trouble after a minor crash. I hope I can explain the easy fix without pictures:
1. Place your Mavic upside down on a flat surface;
2. Examine the bottom of the gimbal assembly;
3. You'll see the square plate, to which the four "rubber bands" are attached;
4. Locate the "hook" on the Mavic body just behind the rear of the square plate. The hook is there to limit the up-down movement of the gimbal assembly to 3/16" or so;
5. Adjust the position of the gimbal assembly so that the square plate is UNDER the hook. It may take a bit of dexterity;
6. Say goodbye to the Jello issue.

Reactions: KiterTodd
I had the same trouble after a minor crash. I hope I can explain the easy fix without pictures:
4. Locate the "hook" on the Mavic body just behind the rear of the square plate. The hook is there to limit the up-down movement of the gimbal assembly to 3/16" or so;
5. Adjust the position of the gimbal assembly so that the square plate is UNDER the hook. It may take a bit of dexterity;
Thanks, but like I said in my post, I already did that. I examined all of the gimbal tabs/hooks and they look like normal.

Have you changed to a new set of props recently? Has the same problem. Could visually see the gimbal shaking up and down hovering in front of me. Brought it down swap props problem went away hope it works for you too . Lots of people are having problems with gimbal vibration due to do the propellers. Especially third-party props. By the way, there with the low noise props. I hope you get it fixed. Safe flying.

Reactions: Lopez0015
Yep especially those low noise props had 3 sets direct from dji....gimbal shake error everytime. Went back to regular props all good

Have you changed to a new set of props recently? Has the same problem. Could visually see the gimbal shaking up and down hovering in front of me. Brought it down swap props problem went away hope it works for you too . Lots of people are having problems with gimbal vibration due to do the propellers. Especially third-party props. By the way, there with the low noise props. I hope you get it fixed. Safe flying.
Thanks, but like I said in my post, this happens even when the drone is sitting on the ground and not flying.

I researched this extensively in the past as I had gimbal vibration when flying. Cold weather doesn't help and the low noise props can become out of balance easily.

Never heard of this while the mavic is on the ground though. The only way to cause gimbal vibration when on the ground would be an out of balance prop or a bad rubber band. I could be missing something though. Best of luck.

try reformatting your SD card using a computer. i randomly had an unresponsive gimbal one time when powering on the mavic and feared the worst. i could not tilt it or focus it. i never could find a solution here, but did find a thread on the dji forum. i put the card back in the mavic and everything worked fine. good luck.

Did we ever solve this issue? I have personally returned SIX (6) Mavics over the last year due to gimbal issues like this. Except being in Asia right now, I’m not sure if there is even any way to have this fixed without a lot of expense and hassle (I made a separate thread about the logistics of doing that here: Buying a Mavic in Asia?)

Usually it’s the “gimbal motor overload” that has forced me to replace Mavics in the past, but both errors are similar and make the Mavic basically useless since the gimbal doesn’t work.

It’s incredibly frustrating and I can’t believe DJI still hasn’t fixed this after knowing about these issues for more than a year.

Do we have a solution?

Here is the fix for you ho USE the low noise props on mavic pro

Thanks, but like I said in my post, this happens even when the drone is sitting on the ground and not flying.

It may be on the ground but aren’t the props turning? I had that warning after my drone fell out of the sky from Imu error. It crashed thru 68’ of oak tree. I found a video that showed how my gimbal was supposed to look. So I pushed and jiggled it bac into place. Message is gone but my videos have that jello effect now. Kind of psychedelic. Looks like looking thru water. Props look fine. Should I change anyway. Did your props have noticeable chips etc? The YouTube is full of if fixit videos on gimbal vibration.

The props are completely irrelevant.

I'm having the issue when I'm not flying and the props are not turning.

That sucks. Are you sure you have the gimbal plate hooked under the L bracket? That's the only thing I can think of.

@Hauptmann - I wanted to thank you for this post! I just dropped my Mavic on it's back in a hand take-off gone wrong and I was getting the Gimbal Vibration Abnormal error and soft image quality. Couldn't find anything else wrong after a careful inspection. Your post pointed out the problem, which is that the square plate was not under the hook.

I haven't even flown it yet to check, but at least this one thing was identified and fixed. So thanks for the step-by-step guide! I hope this was it...

I now have the Jello effect (I call it wavy) pretty much all the time now, and yes, mine does this sitting on a table with the props shut down. Gimbal calibration will not complete; stops at 31% with the gimbal continuously moving up and down slightly. I've checked the plate, the little rubber bands and their positioning, and a general visual inspection of the gimbal and camera. Not only is the video like jello, it is also very unstable when flying most of the time. I guess my step will be to call and send it back to DJI. Any thoughts before I do that. I hate to be without the little dude for a month.

I now have the Jello effect (I call it wavy) pretty much all the time now, and yes, mine does this sitting on a table with the props shut down. Gimbal calibration will not complete; stops at 31% with the gimbal continuously moving up and down slightly. I've checked the plate, the little rubber bands and their positioning, and a general visual inspection of the gimbal and camera. Not only is the video like jello, it is also very unstable when flying most of the time. I guess my step will be to call and send it back to DJI. Any thoughts before I do that. I hate to be without the little dude for a month.

Send it to Thunderdrones instead of DJI. IIWU

Thank you very much. I have been reading good things about Thunder Drones. I understand that outside service like that will void my Warranty and my Pro is only 1 month old. Under those circumstances, would you still recommend sending it to Thunder Drones? I have no idea what DJI would charge to fix it. However, I have to be honest enough to say that two things happened just before the gimbal started acting up. 1. I updated the firmware to the newest version ( .500), and 2. I crashed into the side of my house due to my own stupidity (testing the collision avoidance, which apparently didn't work due to light or something and let it get too close). So there's a good chance I won't have a warranty anyway.

Thank you very much. I have been reading good things about Thunder Drones. I understand that outside service like that will void my Warranty and my Pro is only 1 month old. Under those circumstances, would you still recommend sending it to Thunder Drones? I have no idea what DJI would charge to fix it. However, I have to be honest enough to say that two things happened just before the gimbal started acting up. 1. I updated the firmware to the newest version ( .500), and 2. I crashed into the side of my house due to my own stupidity (testing the collision avoidance, which apparently didn't work due to light or something and let it get too close). So there's a good chance I won't have a warranty anyway.

Well for 1 thing Thunder repair is solid per testimonials of a lot of users here who used his service.
I did not know that your MP is a month old, maybe you have mentioned it early on this thread but missed it. It's all up to you if you want to take a chance w/ DJI, I think you're aware of their track records w/ regards to issues......it's a crap shoot....best scenario you will end up w/ a refurb. Just saying.....GOOD LUCK!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas