DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

107.39/ 107.145 Waiver

Vic Moss

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I received a fun email from the FAA's Waiver Office yesterday. I've been expecting it, but didn't know when I'd get it.

This waiver uses the Mini 3 Pro with DJI prop cages, and now I can fly over people, open air assemblies, as well as people in moving vehicles.

As with my FPV w/o a VO waiver (BVLOS waiver), I will be sharing all of the information necessary to obtain your waiver like this. We'll be sharing it with DSPA (www.dspalliance.org) members first, then with @pilotinstitute members second. Pilot Institute is a huge supporter of DSPA.

After 2 or 3 three weeks we'll release it to the general public.

DSPA's goal is to make things easier and less complicated for the 107 crowd. This waiver, and those that follow, will likely pave the way to opening up OOP flights for 107 Pilots. Just like the 107.29 waivers did for night flights.

Attachments

• OOP Mini 3b.jpg
    OOP Mini 3b.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Vic: I have been following your “sky breaking” waiver path and it is very exciting! As soon as I get an FPV drone, I am going to apply for mine. Thanks so much for sharing this with the community and encouraging us to work together! I really appreciate your efforts and it is certainly awesome to see the progress you have made!

I received a fun email from the FAA's Waiver Office yesterday. I've been expecting it, but didn't know when I'd get it.

This waiver uses the Mavic 3 Pro with DJI prop cages, and now I can fly over people, open air assemblies, as well as people in moving vehicles.

As with my FPV w/o a VO waiver (BVLOS waiver), I will be sharing all of the information necessary to obtain your waiver like this. We'll be sharing it with DSPA (www.dspalliance.org) members first, then with @pilotinstitute members second. Pilot Institute is a huge supporter of DSPA.

DSPA's goal is to make things easier and less complicated for the 107 crowd. This waiver, and those that follow, will likely pave the way to opening up OOP flights for 107 Pilots. Just like the 107.29 waivers did for night flights.
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth however could you maybe expound on why only the MAVIC 3 Pro? Do you think the future could include other UAS?

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth however could you maybe expound on why only the MAVIC 3 Pro? Do you think the future could include other UAS?
Only the M3P because the waiver is UAS specific and that's the one Vic is wanting to use for his OOP. I'm sure many other aircraft could get a waiver but you'd only do it for the specific aircraft you need it for.

Reactions: okw and Vic Moss
Similar to what @BigAl07 said, that's the drone I used in my waiver.

OOP safety hinges on Kinetic Energy Transference. With the Mini 3 as small as it is, the KE is much less than something larger, for instance the Air3. FYI, with the Air 3 weighing almost three times the Mini 3, the KE transfer would be quite large.

The FAA uses a "crawl, walk, run" cadence when developing new definitions of safe flight for drone. The new-ish OOP rules (Cat1-Cat4) are the "crawl" stage. My waiver will put us into the "walk" stage.

One day we'll get to the "run" stage. Not as fast as many of us want, but this is a step in the right direction.

You can certainly try and get a waiver for the larger drones, but I doubt you'll get it without a parachute.

Similar to what @BigAl07 said, that's the drone I used in my waiver.

OOP safety hinges on Kinetic Energy Transference. With the Mini 3 as small as it is, the KE is much less than something larger, for instance the Air3. FYI, with the Air 3 weighing almost three times the Mini 3, the KE transfer would be quite large.

The FAA uses a "crawl, walk, run" cadence when developing new definitions of safe flight for drone. The new-ish OOP rules (Cat1-Cat4) are the "crawl" stage. My waiver will put us into the "walk" stage.

One day we'll get to the "run" stage. Not as fast as many of us want, but this is a step in the right direction.

You can certainly try and get a waiver for the larger drones, but I doubt you'll get it without a parachute.

Vic, first off WELL done my friend.

Did you get it for the M3P or the Mini 3? You mentioned Mavic 3 Pro initially then the Mini 3 so I'm just trying to clarify :)

Keep up the good work and THANK YOU for all you do for our industry my friend.

Allen

Reactions: GFields
Vic, first off WELL done my friend.

Did you get it for the M3P or the Mini 3? You mentioned Mavic 3 Pro initially then the Mini 3 so I'm just trying to clarify :)

Keep up the good work and THANK YOU for all you do for our industry my friend.

Allen
Shoot, Mini 3 Pro. I'll change my post.

DJI really needs to be better at naming their rigs... 😂

Reactions: GFields and BigAl07
Reactions: Vic Moss

This waiver uses the Mini 3 Pro with DJI prop cages, and now I can fly over people, open air assemblies, as well as people in moving vehicles.

This is great Vic, well done. I would like to exercise the process of obtaining a waiver and am very keen to see your templates. -James, kjcimaging.com

will that only apply to 107's or can recreational pilots obtain that as well? Perhaps with a M1P?

will that only apply to 107's or can recreational pilots obtain that as well? Perhaps with a M1P?
107 Waivers are for 107 Pilots only.

Reactions: bitsbytes
Very cool, when you release it to the public, where can we find it? Congrats and thanks for sharing. I went to DSP, but seems to be members only, not share where the posts are for waiver approval.

As with my FPV w/o a VO waiver (BVLOS waiver),
This is interesting for me as I always thought the FPV pilots would see tighter regulations. I'm thinking I'll jump on the FPV bandwagon now for being able to fly beyond VLOS with no worries. Thank you

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne