DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

107 test at PSI.......A cautionary tale

usaken

Reactions
I have been scheduled for well over a month to take the 107 exam today at the PSI office in San Francisco. For me thats a 50 mile round trip. I received 3 emails reminding me about the test, one last week, one Wednesday and one yesterday. I showed up for the test on time today and was told I could not take the test because the printer was broken. The guy said he didnt understand why they were sending people in for FAA tests because the printer has been broken for a while! He pointed to the printer on the floor, a typical small office desktop printer! Nothing special! He handed me a piece of paper with a so called customer service phone number on it to reschedule. Called the number, the automatic answer has a number of options, none having to do with FAA tests. After about 30 minutes waiting on line, a voice advised me to leave my name and phone number and they would call me back within 24 hours! What kind of service is that?

So not surprised.
On the tests I took, the office manager had to help the person checking me in, like it was some special thing.
Then I go sit at the cheapest flatscreen monitor ever created, and take a multiple choice test.
I think the movie Men In Black had a similar test.
There has got to be a better way. I'm for real time video testing where you have a web cam on you going while you test.
So many schools have figured it out, why not the FAA for drone level tests?
I like in-person for people that intend to fly cars that crash and make big booms, but drones?

Ok, was able to reschedule the test after another fiasco. the original testing place logged me as a no show after sending me home! Anyway, if you are taking the test in the San Francisco area, i would suggest taking the test at Pacific States Avaition located at Buchanan Field in Concord. Its a much smaller place only giving airman tests. Nice folks too.

I'm curious. How easy or difficult is the test? I have come to find that so many tests for licenses and certifications are way easier than I expected. To the point where it makes me concerned they hand out the licenses and certifications so easily. I was thinking about getting a license to fly my drone commercially. There is quite a demand in my regular profession (law) for aerial shots of accident scenes and land surveys. See a need, fill a need.

I'm curious. How easy or difficult is the test? I have come to find that so many tests for licenses and certifications are way easier than I expected. To the point where it makes me concerned they hand out the licenses and certifications so easily. I was thinking about getting a license to fly my drone commercially.
By now you may have already passed your exam. To answer your question, I would say that with about a month’s studying, most can get that passing grade of 70%. But I’d recommend you challenge yourself to know the concepts, nail the sectional chart and METAR questions, and go for the 90% or above for bragging rights on the field.

A fellow private pilot told me that he felt the 107 exam was like a tougher Drivers License exam, with 60 questions. I don’t agree, as they’re not just handing out licenses, but it’s not insurmountable...if you really want it.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven