DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1080@96fps = slow motion?

ShonnyRotten

Reactions
I was very surprised after i turned it on and saw that video i shot was in slow motion. Is that how its supposed to be?

Is there a 96fps setting available on the MP?

Great, so is that the way to do slo-mo without post?

Hi
Sounds like the software you used to play that footage back forced its framerate to a 'standard' rate, such as 24, 25 or 29.9?#$% for those US weirdoes :p hence the slow motion effect...

Reactions: ksmusa
Hi
Sounds like the software you used to play that footage back forced its framerate to a 'standard' rate, such as 24, 25 or 29.9?#$% for those US weirdoes [emoji14] hence the slow motion effect...
What software should i use to view it in 96fps? Both in VLC and Premiere its slow mo

I was very surprised after i turned it on and saw that video i shot was in slow motion. Is that how its supposed to be?
If you want to view the footage in real-time, your video editing software must have its timeline set to 96fps. Most default to the standards of 24, 25 & 30fps. Frankly, 96fps should only be used for slow-motion video. Rendering a video at that rate would probably result in problems, as most 1080p monitors are only refreshing at 60Hz (60fps).

I suspect your graphics card is unable to handle that frame rate, thus your slow playback.

VLC never had any issue playing back 96fps footages in here, even though they were shot by a GoPro.
What are the metadata shown by VLC about your footage ? Is the frame rate at least consistent with your recording settings on the MVP ?

Slow motion @ 96 FPS, as well as 120FPS, is by design. This is a feature, not a bug. When recording above 60FPS, speeds are played back at a quarter of the rate they were recorded.

Any new Android or iPhone will have the same features as well to select when recording from your camera.

"When recording above 60FPS, speeds are played back at a quarter of the rate they were recorded."

No, playback is NOT automatically done at ¼ the recorded frame rate. If you are looking at it in an editing program, it conforms to the frame rate set on the timeline. If you are watching the raw file, it will play at the original frame rate assuming the software can handle it, but more factors than frame rate are involved, though, including the software processing the file.

The main point of high frame rates is to get smooth slow motion by rendering the higher frame rate raw file onto a lower frame rate timeline.

Qoncussions comments are correct.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Whether or not someone is using their project at 96FPS is one thing - my point is that most manufacturers add 96 and 120FPS recording options to give someone the option to record in "slow motion". When playing 96FPS back on standard media player or home theater device - unedited - it will play back at a quarter of the speed - 24FPS (96FPS) or 30FPS (120FPS).

Generally as well, on this hardware, recording at 96FPS/120FPS will result in heavy aliasing and low quality - there are many documented cases of this on all sorts of DJI forums.

Intro to Slow Motion Video

Bad quality at 96fps?

I never disagreed with Qoncussion either. I just would think that there'd be a common knowledge database out there when someone asks "Why is my video slow when I record at 96 or 120FPS".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King