DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

166mm perfectly usable

Filmarik

Reactions
Whoever is doubting the 166mm camera's IQ on M3P can rest assured that this camera is capable of delivering pretty decent photos and videos. That is of course in IMHO only🙂 A couple of samples below

Attachments

• DJI_20231228061323_0001_D-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg
    DJI_20231228061323_0001_D-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • 166mm00006-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg
    166mm00006-DNG_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 66
Correct - I use my 166mm a lot and find that the IQ is quite acceptable. The 166mm tele on the Mavic 3 Pro has almost nothing in common with what I was getting out of 162mm on my old Mavic 3 even though they supposedly have the same sensor.

Awesome!

Reactions: sarahb
Whoever is doubting the 166mm camera's IQ on M3P can rest assured that this camera is capable of delivering pretty decent photos and videos. That is of course in IMHO only🙂 A couple of samples below
Those are excellent examples. Could you please comment on whether those are straight out of the camera, or after some post? If post, please comment on what brought them up to the level displayed. Well done!

Reactions: MS Coast
Correct - I use my 166mm a lot and find that the IQ is quite acceptable. The 166mm tele on the Mavic 3 Pro has almost nothing in common with what I was getting out of 162mm on my old Mavic 3 even though they supposedly have the same sensor.
Agreed!

Those are excellent examples. Could you please comment on whether those are straight out of the camera, or after some post? If post, please comment on what brought them up to the level displayed. Well done!
Those photos went through my ususal rigor. Shot as DNG, run through DxO PureRaw3, adjusted in LR classic with my custom made Presets applied and then fine-tuned in Photoshop. Finally downsized and converted to JPEG for posting here. That is pretty much my typical workflow with shots I want to keep, print or share. It sounds complicated perhaps but it is not really that much work and the extra effort hopefully shows through..🙂

Those photos went through my ususal rigor. Shot as DNG, run through DxO PureRaw3, adjusted in LR classic with my custom made Presets applied and then fine-tuned in Photoshop. Finally downsized and converted to JPEG for posting here. That is pretty much my typical workflow with shots I want to keep, print or share. It sounds complicated perhaps but it is not really that much work and the extra effort hopefully shows through..🙂
Identical to my workflow except that I toggle between DxO Photolab 7 and PureRAW 4 depending on whether I need to adjust for a too wide dynamic range. Photolab 7 can handle some amazingly wide DR adjustments (well beyond what LR can do).

Identical to my workflow except that I toggle between DxO Photolab 7 and PureRAW 4 depending on whether I need to adjust for a too wide dynamic range. Photolab 7 can handle some amazingly wide DR adjustments (well beyond what LR can do).
I have no experience with Photolab but I find that the recent addition of Whites and Blacks slider under the original Highlights and Shadows sliders expands the capabilities of LR in handling of shots with wide dynamic range. It is good to know though that Photolab does such a good job. I might give it a try one day...

I have no experience with Photolab but I find that the recent addition of Whites and Blacks slider under the original Highlights and Shadows sliders expands the capabilities of LR in handling of shots with wide dynamic range. It is good to know though that Photolab does such a good job. I might give it a try one day...
Photolab 7 has PureRAW 3 build in so I drop back to v3 but the lighting section has a targeted lighting tool that lets me flag the deep shadows and highlights and then pull both back from the edges of the histogram. When I export the DNG back into LR all the sliders for light are at zero with most of the light in the frame already tamed.

There are some new controls for PureRAW in v4 for how much sharpening and noise reduction desire before dropping back into LR. I still prefer doing most color adjustments in LR instead of Photolab.

Photolab 7 has PureRAW 3 build in so I drop back to v3 but the lighting section has a targeted lighting tool that lets me flag the deep shadows and highlights and then pull both back from the edges of the histogram. When I export the DNG back into LR all the sliders for light are at zero with most of the light in the frame already tamed.

There are some new controls for PureRAW in v4 for how much sharpening and noise reduction desire before dropping back into LR. I still prefer doing most color adjustments in LR instead of Photolab.
PureRaw3 has been my first experience with DxO. I have to admit that I was blown away by its ability to pull out details and remove noise at the same time. The only thing I do not use is it's sharpening. Lens Softness OFF for me. I find it too crude. I use my own sharpening settings for each of the 3 M3P cameras in LR and I am much happier with the results that way, after finding what I call a sweet spot for each camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanL
I use mine a lot. Love making people think that some of the shots were AI generated 😅 they keep on comparing it with their wide lens

I'm getting good results with the long tele too.
It's a very handy tool in the kit.
DJI_20240229141327_0013a-XL.jpg

DJI_20240531131857_0046a-XL.jpg

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member