DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st experience with Law and Random idiot

RCKable

Reactions
Today I was flying at a park I have flown at numerous times. Arriving me and my daughter notice a few people out in the far baseball field (the red circle in pic). Today I just flew using Active Track and had the Mavic follow my daughter on her bike while she tried to out run it. Was in the air only a few minutes when I heard a car pulling up, turned to look and it was a State Trooper (yeah not our local sheriff deputies). He gets out, says how are you, can I talk with you, can you land your drone, you have ID routine. I give him my ID and then land. Some small talk going on as well once he saw it. He explains to me that even though there is no rules about flying at the park as its a public park, and the airport is about 8miles away, the FAA has rules about flying over people. Thats why he was here. A complaint came to them about an individual flying a drone over kids, and adults while a large family was having a picnic (was actually 12 people) I looked right at his eyes and asked, are you sure you're at the right park? He gave me a not so loving face. I then assured him I hadn't flown over anyone. He drives around to the "family" about 10 minutes later he returns to explain how she is very worried, concerned and are insisting he makes me leave because the woman had asked me to stop flying over them and I've been flying within only 10' of there heads at times. I say sir, I haven't flown over anyone, I explained active track to him while he shakes his head yes, he goes well if you don't mind, since thats a DJI, can I see your flight log in the your flight app? I open the DJI Go4 goto flight logs and goes right to today. He looks at it, says Mr., can I take a picture of your tablet? He does, then he says I apologize and I appreciate your time, and politeness with me. I need to go talk to someone about lying to an office of the law. Can you wait until I am done with her? He comes back and explains to me it was really just one woman that was doing all the complaining, even through out the whole privacy thing, he said he showed her the flight log explained how much technology is on these high end drones. She changed her complaints to well I was just worried about what he could do with the drone. He claimed he owns drones but didn't say what. Thank goodness for the flight log...sorry for it being so long. He is a pic of the FL, when I drew on it I cropped it somehow.

Sorry forgot the picture.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Salty
You actually should have been more concerned if a Sheriff deputy had shown up since they are the Constitutional Officer with jurisdiction in a public park...not the trooper. When he started all the questions with "Can I" he wasn't being nice.

Good for you! It's great hear.

Also nice that you and the officer could have a discussion without a confrontation! When I read the subject line I was afraid this was going to be another United Airlines saga!

Why didn't the lady speak to you or attempt to speak to you directly before calling the police? Your story reminds me how we can't get along as a society anymore

Why didn't the lady speak to you or attempt to speak to you directly before calling the police? Your story reminds me how we can't get along as a society anymore
No idea...she might be one of those around here that feel they above everyone, and think when she is at the park no one else should be. I did tell him no one from over there came to talk to me.

Reactions: Budmancan
Yes, I didn't mean it as if you did anything wrong. The lady should have come and spoken with you not call the police! By the way, looks like you got a nice still shot? P4P Manual Exposure?

You actually should have been more concerned if a Sheriff deputy had shown up since they are the Constitutional Officer with jurisdiction in a public park...not the trooper. When he started all the questions with "Can I" he wasn't being nice.

Unless things are wildly different in other states, State Troopers have jurisdiction in the entire state.

They in general leave local stuff to Police and Sheriffs, but it's not because they lack authority.

On the plus side, at least in our state, State Patrol is consistently very professional, you never quite know what you're going to get with the local types.

This is a great story. It is irresponsible for an officer to NOT investigate...even the silliest of public complaints. Sounds like it went well and he was on his way. Glad he took the time to call the woman out for waiting his time. As a former LEO - I often apologize to the officers I have to deal with. Usually I am in the 'right' and I feel bad that I am taking them away from catching people in the 'wrong'. It behooves our Drone Community to educate others (LEO included) of how we use our drones. These are not Predators!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31