DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2.4 or 5.8 GHZ in heavy wifi area?

most wifi is on 2.4 so id say 5.8 is better

Reactions: mavic6611
This might explain why I'm only getting a maximum range of 2000ft as apposed to the advertised 2000m in CE mode

the amount of congestion buildings,terrain and wireless will affect distance
are you referring to a mavic pro?

ok,noticed the mp in your pic so just checking,your max distance will only be achieved in a wide open area with a visual line of sight,when your flying do you have mavic in sight?,,not so much by eye but in transmitting

ok,noticed the mp in your pic so just checking,your max distance will only be achieved in a wide open area with a visual line of sight,when your flying do you have mavic in sight?,,not so much by eye but in transmitting
Oh yes sorry, the MP is mine, the MA is my girlfriends. It's not particularly complete line of sight tbh. There's alot of houses around. Not many trees, but definitely lots of wifi

Oh yes sorry, the MP is mine, the MA is my girlfriends. It's not particularly complete line of sight tbh. There's alot of houses around. Not many trees, but definitely lots of wifi
you can try going higher to help get a better line of sight

I took it to 350ft tonight, that's how I managed to get 2000ft. Flying at around 150ft only gets around 600ft distance before the drop outs start. I think I'll have to try the 5.8 tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes [emoji3]

I took it to 350ft tonight, that's how I managed to get 2000ft. Flying at around 150ft only gets around 600ft distance before the drop outs start. I think I'll have to try the 5.8 tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes [emoji3]
then obstructions is the issue,buildings,trees ect...

honestly im just assuming since most home owners use 2.4,it stands to reason that 5.8 is less cluttered

Can you try mix up the channels it operates on? Use WiFi analyser to see what the least congested channel is

You are generalizing the interference ("wifi") and then asking which frequency of wifi is better for that area. There is no way to know as you don't mention which frequency is causing the most interference. So.... every answer really amounts to a guess.

People are stating most wifi is 2.4 so their guess is 5.8. However, 5.8 is also mush weaker than 2.4.

Without knowing which frequency is causing the issue I'd say 1) it's better to leave in auto and 2) try the other if you are having an issue with one. That would provide you with the best possible answer and not a 100% shot in the dark.

You are generalizing the interference ("wifi") and then asking which frequency of wifi is better for that area. There is no way to know as you don't mention which frequency is causing the most interference. So.... every answer really amounts to a guess.

People are stating most wifi is 2.4 so their guess is 5.8. However, 5.8 is also mush weaker than 2.4.

Without knowing which frequency is causing the issue I'd say 1) it's better to leave in auto and 2) try the other if you are having an issue with one. That would provide you with the best possible answer and not a 100% shot in the dark.
Trial and error is the only answer in that case.
I'd take an educated guess that it's the 2.4 wifi that's causing the issue though. But your definitely correct with the 5.8 being a weaker signal. It's going to come down to is the 2.4 interference greater than the weakness of the 5.8 transmission.
Ill test and let you all know.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Trial and error is the only answer in that case.
I'd take an educated guess that it's the 2.4 wifi that's causing the issue though. But your definitely correct with the 5.8 being a weaker signal. It's going to come down to is the 2.4 interference greater than the weakness of the 5.8 transmission.
Ill test and let you all know.

However, on auto, the Mavic should cycle through for the best signal anyway. So it should automatically pick the best setting. With that said, I don't know how good this works.

However, on auto, the Mavic should cycle through for the best signal anyway. So it should automatically pick the best setting. With that said, I don't know how good this works.
Hmm.. That's a good point, I'll try auto first actually, it's a bit on the windy side here ay the moment. Hopefully it might calm down later.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King