DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2.4 vs 5.8 ghz

Matriculated01

Reactions
What’s the difference between 2.4 and 5.8 ghz. Can someone list some pros and cons? Why would I switch to 5.8, under what circumstances?

What’s the difference between 2.4 and 5.8 ghz. Can someone list some pros and cons? Why would I switch to 5.8, under what circumstances?
in the US the MM only uses the 5.8 Ghz band it would seem

Reactions: Matriculated01
Huh, you are correct. Just checked a little while ago, and it’s 5.8 with no option to change. So - less interference and less range than 2.4 from what I gather.
No- you haven’t done enough gathering to get the full picture.

You might not have the option of 2.4Ghz however you have 5.8Ghz @30dbm (compared to 14DBm in the CE version). The increase in EIRP will more than counteract the additional atmospheric attenuation (over 2.4Ghz version).

No- you haven’t done enough gathering to get the full picture.

You might not have the option of 2.4Ghz however you have 5.8Ghz @30dbm (compared to 14DBm in the CE version). The increase in EIRP will more than counteract the additional atmospheric attenuation (over 2.4Ghz version).
Ok, I had to google EIRP and atmospheric attenuation but I think I get what you’re saying. Basically not necessarily “less range” just because it’s 5.8 I believe. Just one question - I looked up the measurement unit “DBm” and it appears that the larger the number the weaker the wi-fi signal (see ataached pic). So how would a DBm if 30 be better than 14? Or am I getting something wrong there?722DE370-5AAF-4B0F-BE73-A84BC3A3D846.png

You are looking at the received signal strength (not TX power). The bigger the number the weaker the signal. It is a negative number obviously as it is referencing to what extent it is below the theoretical maximum.

The FCC version of the mini only operates in 5.8Ghz and has the greatest range of any of the available variants. There is nothing you can to to increase power other than installing external linear amplifiers and or high gain antennae.

2.4 Is ForLong Range Without Obstacles, 5.8 Is Is Better Around Obstacles Short Range. It Doesn’t Matter Which One You Set Your Mavic On, I Have Both Mavic’s 2 Pro, And Zoom. It Will Switch Back And Forth On Its Own For Best Reception. No Matter What You Set It On. That’s Actually The Best, The Mavic Knows Which Frequency Is Best At A Certain Time, Pretty Smart Little Crafts...

Reactions: Dreswan
2.4 Is ForLong Range Without Obstacles, 5.8 Is Is Better Around Obstacles Short Range. It Doesn’t Matter Which One You Set Your Mavic On, I Have Both Mavic’s 2 Pro, And Zoom. It Will Switch Back And Forth On Its Own For Best Reception. No Matter What You Set It On. That’s Actually The Best, The Mavic Knows Which Frequency Is Best At A Certain Time, Pretty Smart Little Crafts...
you are correct in respect of all mavics up to, but not including the MM, it is 5.8 GH only in the US

I also have 5.8 in EU and i believe you have too, but only if you change it manually
yes the MIC/ CE version has both but in the US version does not

Reactions: WooZie and Thomas B
5.8 isn't better around obstacles. It is better when the 2.4ghz band is congested and dirty.

God this gives me eyesore.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki