DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2min of baby moose in back of our house. Mavic 3 tele lens

That was great, twins is that usual with moose? Thanks for sharing.
Regards
twins are not unusual, particular if mom is healthy. this was a terribly difficult year for moose due to a warm spell and rain which then froze on the snow creating a layer of ice that made life hard for moose and easy for wolves and you can see the light patches on the mother who should be a deep brown. Hopefully the calves will feed well and make it through their first year or two which is the critical time.

Reactions: Gagey52
It appears that the one calf tried several times to take some of the plant material from the cow's mouth. Was that just curiosity or playfulness, or do the cow's pull and offer food to the calves when they're very young?

Here on the Gulf Coast, the only moose I've been exposed to was Bullwinkle so I don't know much about their behavior.

Neat! Thank you for posting. How far away were you, approx, and what altitude?

@ackdrone reading your thread title and watching the video, reminded me of that well known Scottish ditty
there's a moose loose aboot this hoose

It appears that the one calf tried several times to take some of the plant material from the cow's mouth. Was that just curiosity or playfulness, or do the cow's pull and offer food to the calves when they're very young?

Here on the Gulf Coast, the only moose I've been exposed to was Bullwinkle so I don't know much about their behavior.
Just playfulness is my guess.

Reactions: MS Coast
Were you using 7X tele?
Yep. I left a secret hint in the title when I named the post "2min of baby moose in back of our house. Mavic 3 tele lens" but yes...I did hide the 7x part. I do a lot of editing and since the 1x and 7x are fixed focal, I never do anything but use them "as is" so I never even think about 2x or 14x or any such things. I do that in post so for me "tele lens" means 7x but I thought putting all that in the title would be confusing LOL.

Neat! Thank you for posting. How far away were you, approx, and what altitude?
I was probably 35feet up and about 250feet away with the tele lens. One of the reasons I wanted the Mav3 was so I could get visually close without disturbing wildlife. I'm OK with them looking up and seeing me but I try very hard to never disturb them as life for so many species is really on close margins and the cumulative effect of everyone that disturbs them takes a serious toll. The tele lens lets me get reasonable close ups without getting too close. I also shoot in 4K then further zoom closer in post processing when outputting to 1080p so it looks even closer than the original 4k video did.

Its good to see the animals not being afraid of the drone....i wish the rules in holland weren't so strict, so i could do the same in our dune area .... i think they are to strickt....

Its good to see the animals not being afraid of the drone....i wish the rules in holland weren't so strict, so i could do the same in our dune area .... i think they are to strickt....
Keep in mind I'm using the 7x tele lens. With my FPV which is even louder, if I wanted to get this close it would absolutely freak out a moose with calves. It's one of the big reasons I got the Mav3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom