DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 30 Sec Tilt Shift Effect video of market

Nice! Great choice of music too.

Speed er up :)

What does tilt/shift mean in regards to this photo?
The term "tilt-shift" historically refers to movements of the front lens board and the lens in view camera photography, originally used to correct focus and perspective.

Some exploited it creatively, and "correction" became "effect".

We can simulate this with selective application of various blur filters in post processing for video or stills. In drone work, it has come to mean creating a shallow depth of field effect that mimics photography of miniature scenes.

What we see in @akdrone's example is that there is apparent shallow depth of focus - the top and bottom of the image are blurry.

What many of us might get emotionally is the feeling that the people are like little ants scurrying to and fro, and that buildings, cars, and market tents are as child's toys.

Reactions: RDell
The term "tilt-shift" historically refers to movements of the front lens board and the lens in view camera photography, originally used to correct focus and perspective.

Some exploited it creatively, and "correction" became "effect".

We can simulate this with selective application of various blur filters in post processing for video or stills. In drone work, it has come to mean creating a shallow depth of field effect that mimics photography of miniature scenes.

What we see in @akdrone's example is that there is apparent shallow depth of focus - the top and bottom of the image are blurry.

What many of us might get emotionally is the feeling that the people are like little ants scurrying to and fro, and that buildings, cars, and market tents are as child's toys.
Thanks. What is being discussed is simply using a very shallow DOF, typically through large apertures. As a longtime photographer and a 4x5 film camera user, with all the movements, I think that using the term 'tilt/shift' here is not really appropriate, though one can use T/S techniques to achieve an increased shallow DOF on a view camera. I also use tilt/shift lenses on my Canon professional full frame cameras, always to increase the DOF.

Thanks. What is being discussed is simply using a very shallow DOF, typically through large apertures. As a longtime photographer and a 4x5 film camera user, with all the movements, I think that using the term 'tilt/shift' here is not really appropriate, though one can use T/S techniques to achieve an increased shallow DOF on a view camera. I also use tilt/shift lenses on my Canon professional full frame cameras, always to increase the DOF.
Different than shallow DOF, the post effect only works this way on some footage. Gimbal angles of about 45-deg. One has to make choices about the shape and location of the blur mask.

The terminology used to describe this effect is made up from what came before. You can call it wrong, but it's the terminology that's out there. People on this forum didn't make it up; it's common usage.

See this google search (link). It includes a link to the DJI blog that many people refer to for the method.

I'm on an AI kick this year. AI basically learns from what's been published online. Here's what ChatGPT has to say about it:
What is the tilt-shift effect in drone video?

The tilt-shift effect is a visual effect that can be applied to drone video footage to create a miniature or diorama-like appearance. It's achieved by using a special lens or software that adjusts the focus and perspective of the video, making the scene appear like a small-scale model or toy.

In drone video, the tilt-shift effect can be particularly effective for capturing landscapes, cityscapes, or other large-scale scenes. By applying the effect, the video can create the illusion that the viewer is looking at a miniature version of the scene, rather than the full-scale reality.

Tilt-shift lenses and software typically work by selectively blurring parts of the image, creating a shallow depth of field and making objects in the foreground and background appear out of focus. This can make the scene look like a miniature model, where the objects would be physically close to each other and have a shallow depth of field.

The tilt-shift effect can add an interesting and creative element to drone video, making it stand out and providing a unique perspective on the world.

Reactions: GFields
Not much, it's just a novelty effect that makes a perfectly good image or video look worse.
I've never seen a case where it improves an image.
Ohmigosh!

I'm smiling over here... to each their own. I just want to have fun! And, fun with image processing is really fun! My new avatar thumbnail is about to be unveiled, it's all about fun. :)

Last edited:
Taking photos with tilt/shift lenses is great fun, a bit demanding, and forces one to work slowly. That's why I like them.

Tilt and shift are two very different things, and most such lenses for dSLR cameras (Nikon and Canon) can do both tilt and shift. But there are also lenses that only can shift. View cameras can of course do all this and much more :)

Shifting is for perspective correction, while tilting lets you play with focus plane and placement of depth of field. Tilting a lens does not increase depth of field, but it can change the angle of it, lay it flat along the focus plane. That gives the illusion of sharpness from a flower close to the lens all the way to the mountains in the distance.

For those interested, here are two links that explains it in an (reltively) easy way:

• Love
Reactions: JeffreyS
The terminology used to describe this effect is made up from what came before.
I have seen the term "miniature effect" or "miniature illusion" used for this kind of effect, I think it is a better description.

Reactions: JeffreyS and SethB
Different than shallow DOF, the post effect only works this way on some footage. Gimbal angles of about 45-deg. One has to make choices about the shape and location of the blur mask.

The terminology used to describe this effect is made up from what came before. You can call it wrong, but it's the terminology that's out there. People on this forum didn't make it up; it's common usage.

See this google search (link). It includes a link to the DJI blog that many people refer to for the method.

I'm on an AI kick this year. AI basically learns from what's been published online. Here's what ChatGPT has to say about it:
That's and excellent explanation. It's about making the scene look almost like "claymation" or toy-like, hence the "diaorama" look. This was a very cute video and good because the drone didn't move, just the people.

Nice! All those people scurrying around. Great music for it too.

Nice! All those people scurrying around. Great music for it too.
thanks, all for the kind words. I haven't done many of these but they are a bit of humor :).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki