DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

300 Flights

Everything is on the latest. Firmware v01.03.0200., DJIGo4, Litchi Android Beta. Yes I do them when convenient after they become available - I don't wait.

@Logger :
Wow. Very impressive indeed. You are now a real PRO!
btw, I want to know how to record my videos to BOTH SD and my S7 Edge phone running Litchi.
I seem to only get the recording to the SD card. Please let me know where to set recordings to both. Thank you,
Chris

View attachment 4322
All Drones = Mavic

Well yesterday my Mavic passed the 300 flight landmark. 420kms and & 40 trouble free flight hours.

If you are wondering what maintenance I have done to keep it all running, the short answer is zero. The long answer may be of interest to new or prospective Mavic users….

Compass:- calibrated a single time on day one. Since then I have carted it all over Australia and have never touched the compass calibration again. I have had numerous occasions when the system told me to recalibrate the compass. Like yesterday when trying to take off from the back of a pickup/ute. I simply moved it away from the metal and the message went away.

IMU/Gimbal/Joysticks: I have not recalibrated or touched any of these other systems. IMU, Gimbal and RC remain untouched.

Propellers: Still running the original set. I never unfold them by hand. I unfold them before flight using the motors :p I give them a wipe with a damp cloth occasionally. I will probably switch them out and keep as them as spares. YES, I have read the suggestion to replace at ~200 flights. But at 305 flights they still look solid to me.

Main camera - I have not touched or wiped once.

Batteries – No maintenance. I do try to use them down to ~ 15% and sometimes down to 10%. I have numbered them so I use them in order. I don't worry about storage and transport charge levels. KISS.

Storage – DJI shoulder bag that came with the Fly More combo. I wedge the RC in vertically with the 45 degree twist so joysticks are in a corner. They get rammed in, along with the Mavic with props and no special protection – absolutely no problems with this. The shoulder bag is so convenient. Pull Mavic and RC out and drop Gimbal guard, Gimbal lock and phone case back in. I have taken the whole kits on about 40 airline flights and never had any issue with security. I just throw the shoulder bag inside my wheelie bag where it takes up about the same space as a pair of shoes.

My Setup:

-Mavic Fly More Combo + DJI Care Refresh

-Samsung S7 edge <- 95% of flights

-iPad Air 2 GSM <- 5% of flights and great for building Litchi missions.

-Microsoft Surface 3 Pro with Premier Pro.

I don’t have any fancy landing pads, gimbal guards, Lipo bags, pelican cases, stickers lanyards or Cheesy Pet names for it. Only mods are a sticker with my name and number and another yellow tag on the gimbal lock. So it is obvious if I have forgotten to remove it. I just try to keep the props clean and pop the gimbal lock and camera cover back on as soon as I land. That’s about it.

Pre-purchase I thought that I would want to use the iPad all the time due to its large screen. As it turns out the S7 edge is what I use all the time as the screen is excellent and combined with the RC is much more portable. I really only use the iPad if somebody wants a demo or If I am flying from a spot where I can sit at a bench. Looked at iPad holders, but they are not my thing. I was surprised the physically much larger iPad Air2 screen was not as good as I expected it would be. The S7 edge is in fact higher res albeit much smaller. iPad is good for making Litchi mission, though & I am sure the newer models are higher res.

Use:

I use Litchi for WPT mission flying and taking 360 Panoramas.

I use DJIGo 4 for FPV flight as I prefer its interface. Course Lock is my favorite smart flight mode and really the only one I use frequently.

I read the manuals inside out (numerous times). I have hung out and learnt a lot at this forum and the DJI one. Some very helpful people around here. Thankyou all.

Past Issues:-

Early on I had one Toilet Bowl Event (TBE) & an ATTI event. Both occurred whilst learning to use Litchi WPT missions and had my Mavic drifting downwind out to sea. Fortunately I was able to recover from both. Since the recent Mavic firmware updates it looks to me like this issue has been addressed one way or another.

Crashed/Mowed my way into long grass at ~ 35kmh one evening with VPS off – No damage. Me being stupid flying in semi darkness and misjudged the height. Lucky.

S7 edge Phone – Has at times had app crash issues during flight. For example when DJIGo4 was first released. For the most part this can be fixed by killing all apps, which I do as part of my setup each time I fly.

Current Issues:-

Litchi Adroid – App frequently crashes after LOS on WPT missions (I hate this bug but not a show stopper).

Memory Card Door (Said battery door - brain fade sorry) one of the two tabs broken – No real issue until the second tab breaks. Possibly in time this will be the first wear & tear part to break on other Mavic’s too. Unfortunately, it is attached by tape to the inside of the case so not readily user replaceable. I wonder if a copy can be made with a 3d printer without the tape? DJI have said to send it in for a repair but this seems an overkill.

Overall:-

I have really had a trouble free & reliable run with my Mavic.. After 2.5 months of solid use it, is still in excellent condition and looks new. I have been thrilled with what I can do with this thing. I see it as great value and it has given me loads of enjoyment and satisfaction. I trust this shows how reliable this little marvel can be. This is what I do. It is not necessarily the right way but it works.

@Logger
..I want to know how to record my videos to BOTH SD and my S7 Edge phone running Litchi.
I seem to only get the recording to the SD card. Please let me know where to set recordings to both.
This is not possible. Android Litchi does not capture the video stream to the phone like DJIGo does. You could use a screen capture utility such as the one built into the S7 Edge Game Centre to record everything that you are seeing on the screen (including the Litchi interface) but this is not really the same thing.

Thank you Logger. Now I understand why previously, before Litchi, I was able to view recordings on both the SD card and from the phone! Any idea, when Litchi will also provide the same function or not? It's just easier to view a confirmation (albeit lower res) on the phone than checking on the SD card.
- Chris
This is not possible. Android Litchi does not capture the video stream to the phone like DJIGo does. You could use a screen capture utility such as the one built into the S7 Edge Game Centre to record everything that you are seeing on the screen (including the Litchi interface) but this is not really the same thing.

On subject ish saw in DJI app under common questions how many times can you open the legs up on the Mavic (bit of a random question), but answer was 5000! Perhaps I won't fold mine up all the time lol....

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Best post I've read on this entire forum.
Logger - it seems you fly responsibly, like I do, and you are rewarded with a Mavic that is still in mint condition, and gigabytes of satisfying footage.
Keep it up!
I've got about 60 flights under my belt now, and my Mavic still flies likeI just took all the stickers off it.
Like you, no IMU calibrations, did compass calibration once. Just FLY!

Reactions: Soundtekk
On subject ish saw in DJI app under common questions how many times can you open the legs up on the Mavic (bit of a random question), but answer was 5000! Perhaps I won't fold mine up all the time lol....

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
i read that too and although 5000 is ALOT, equivaltent of unfolding the legs once a day for 13.7 years, i find myself now hesitant to open and close it unnecessarily. i wish i hadn't of read it...lol

Reactions: Vilco
Wow 300 flights:D
Maybe we should replace distance fan fare with number of flights honors. It would save DJI refresh a lot of money ;)

upload_2017-2-28_15-10-34.png

Well to close things off my Mavic has moved on after successfully completing 417 flights and 600km since November.

I sent it in to DJI to replace the SD card door which had a small tab snapped off (see post #10) and to fix the aft compass noise effecting some early builds. They elected to exchange rather than repair. Would have happily kept it, but it was out of my hands. As per post #1, a mere single compass calibration on day 1. Nothing else touched since. Still on original set of props! My plan had been to get to 500 flights before doing any maintenance. Came close!

I ended up getting a replacement unit that I am very happy with. Installed my original prop set, updated firmware. I calibrated the compass only when DJIGo4 insisted I do so. All up and running again.

A handful of DJIGo flights, a Hangar360 Pano and a 10km Litchi WPT mission. All as good as gold.
With a bit of luck this unit will serve me just as well as the previous one did.

Last edited:
Great thread, and mad props for using the hell out of this machine! What video/picture settings have you settled on after all these flights? Do you use any ND filters? Do you have a Youtube page?

Fantastic work. My only question/concern. Are you going to wait for the props to fail before changing them? I'd hate to see your perfect record come adrift

Great thread, and mad props for using the **** out of this machine! What video/picture settings have you settled on after all these flights? Do you use any ND filters? Do you have a Youtube page?
I normally use Truecolour / Manual WB / EV -0.7 and NTSC / 2.7 / 30 FPS Sharpness/Contrast/Saturation untouched. Bright summer days here and I found my video was over exposed for my liking. So usually EV-0.7 or if it is not so bright -0.3 works for me. I get a better results manually setting WB to Sunny or Cloudy in lieu of using Auto WB. Too lazy/time poor/naive to colour grade. In case you handn't noticed, I am averse to complicating things, but I am considering a set of ND filters. My Youtube is unlisted Sorry.

Fantastic work. My only question/concern. Are you going to wait for the props to fail before changing them? I'd hate to see your perfect record come adrift
Fair Comment. Probably would be a good time to swap them out and put them aside, as a set of "get me home" spares. One only of the four has ever so less friction now. If held by the tip horizontally it will sag slowly whilst the other stay rigid. So maybe it only has another 400 flights left in it. Who knows.

I'd be happy to be retired after 400 flights :)

View attachment 4322
All Drones = Mavic

Well yesterday my Mavic passed the 300 flight landmark. 420kms and & 40 trouble free flight hours.

If you are wondering what maintenance I have done to keep it all running, the short answer is zero. The long answer may be of interest to new or prospective Mavic users….

Compass:- calibrated a single time on day one. Since then I have carted it all over Australia and have never touched the compass calibration again. I have had numerous occasions when the system told me to recalibrate the compass. Like yesterday when trying to take off from the back of a pickup/ute. I simply moved it away from the metal and the message went away.

IMU/Gimbal/Joysticks: I have not recalibrated or touched any of these other systems. IMU, Gimbal and RC remain untouched.

Propellers: Still running the original set. I never unfold them by hand. I unfold them before flight using the motors :p I give them a wipe with a damp cloth occasionally. I will probably switch them out and keep as them as spares. YES, I have read the suggestion to replace at ~200 flights. But at 305 flights they still look solid to me.

Batteries – No maintenance. I do try to use them down to ~ 15% and sometimes down to 10%. I have numbered them so I use them in order. I don't worry about storage and transport charge levels. KISS.

Storage – DJI shoulder bag that came with the Fly More combo. I wedge the RC in vertically with the 45 degree twist so joysticks are in a corner. They get rammed in, along with the Mavic with props and no special protection – absolutely no problems with this. The shoulder bag is so convenient. Pull Mavic and RC out and drop Gimbal guard, Gimbal lock and phone case back in. I have taken the whole kits on about 40 airline flights and never had any issue with security. I just throw the shoulder bag inside my wheelie bag where it takes up about the same space as a pair of shoes.

My Setup:

I don’t have any fancy landing pads, gimbal guards, Lipo bags, pelican cases, stickers lanyards or Cheesy Pet names for it. Only mods are a sticker with my name and number and another yellow tag on the gimbal lock. So it is obvious if I have forgotten to remove it. I just try to keep the props clean and pop the gimbal lock and camera cover back on as soon as I land. That’s about it.

Pre-purchase I thought that I would want to use the iPad all the time due to its large screen. As it turns out the S7 edge is what I use all the time as the screen is excellent and combined with the RC is much more portable. I really only use the iPad if somebody wants a demo or If I am flying from a spot where I can sit at a bench. Looked at iPad holders, but they are not my thing. I was surprised the physically much larger iPad Air2 screen was not as good as I expected it would be. The S7 edge is in fact higher res albeit much smaller. iPad is good for making Litchi mission, though & I am sure the newer models are higher res.

Use:

I use DJIGo 4 for FPV flight as I prefer its interface. Course Lock is my favorite smart flight mode and really the only one I use frequently.

I read the manuals inside out (numerous times). I have hung out and learnt a lot at this forum and the DJI one. Some very helpful people around here. Thankyou all.

Early on I had one Toilet Bowl Event (TBE) & an ATTI event. Both occurred whilst learning to use Litchi WPT missions and had my Mavic drifting downwind out to sea. Fortunately I was able to recover from both. Since the recent Mavic firmware updates it looks to me like this issue has been addressed one way or another.

Crashed/Mowed my way into long grass at ~ 35kmh one evening with VPS off – No damage. Me being stupid flying in semi darkness and misjudged the height. Lucky.

S7 edge Phone – Has at times had app crash issues during flight. For example when DJIGo4 was first released. For the most part this can be fixed by killing all apps, which I do as part of my setup each time I fly.

Litchi Adroid – App frequently crashes after LOS on WPT missions (I hate this bug but not a show stopper).

Memory Card Door (Said battery door - brain fade sorry) one of the two tabs broken – No real issue until the second tab breaks. Possibly in time this will be the first wear & tear part to break on other Mavic’s too. Unfortunately, it is attached by tape to the inside of the case so not readily user replaceable. I wonder if a copy can be made with a 3d printer without the tape? DJI have said to send it in for a repair but this seems an overkill.

I have really had a trouble free & reliable run with my Mavic.. After 2.5 months of solid use it, is still in excellent condition and looks new. I have been thrilled with what I can do with this thing. I see it as great value and it has given me loads of enjoyment and satisfaction. I trust this shows how reliable this little marvel can be. This is what I do. It is not necessarily the right way but it works.
Thanks for sharing all this valuable informatio, I have a Mavic Mini with 260 fligths and 200 Km. the last flights I have seen a gimbal stuck message and it started to make a weird noise.
Have you seen something similar with your bird ?
Regards
View attachment 4322
All Drones = Mavic

My Setup:

Use:

Thanks for sharing all this important a valuable information, I have 5 months with a Mavic Mini and has 260 fligths and 200 Km, on the last fligths it started to see a gimbal stuck message and started to make a weird noise the gimbal motor.
Regards

Thanks for sharing all this valuable informatio, I have a Mavic Mini with 260 fligths and 200 Km. the last flights I have seen a gimbal stuck message and it started to make a weird noise.
Regards

Thanks for sharing all this important a valuable information, I have 5 months with a Mavic Mini and has 260 fligths and 200 Km, on the last fligths it started to see a gimbal stuck message and started to make a weird noise the gimbal motor.
Regards
GREAT news! I luv my MAVIC PRO and now I'll look forward to many more flights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian