DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

360º camera mount for Mavic Air

plingboot

Reactions
Can anyone recommend a mount which can suspend a 360º camera (like the GoPro Fusion) below the Mavic Air?

I've seen one on eBay, but thought I'd ask here to see whether anyone had experience and/or thoughts.

Can anyone recommend a mount which can suspend a 360º camera (like the GoPro Fusion) below the Mavic Air?

I've seen one on eBay, but thought I'd ask here to see whether anyone had experience and/or thoughts.
You’re going to need some loooong leg extensions. My MA already looks like a “daddy long legs” spider with extensions to clear my LED. Just say’n.

You’re going to need some loooong leg extensions. My MA already looks like a “daddy long legs” spider with extensions to clear my LED. Just say’n.
you've made me curious: what LEDs you're talking about? if you dont mind of course :)
cheers,
Kris

you've made me curious: what LEDs you're talking about? if you dont mind of course :)
cheers,
Kris
I have the Firehouse Technology Arc II. It’s 4 Cree leds. Super bright! Defaults to strobe, but you can also set to remain lit. At 400’ it looks like an airplane (strobe) or star (always on). I have Velcro on the Arc and each battery to swap from battery to battery, visible from the belly of the drone.

Reactions: crosswired
I have the Firehouse Technology Arc II. It’s 4 Cree leds. Super bright! Defaults to strobe, but you can also set to remain lit. At 400’ it looks like an airplane (strobe) or star (always on). I have Velcro on the Arc and each battery to swap from battery to battery, visible from the belly of the drone.
wow, sounds sweet, would you be so kind and posted some pics (and links to hardware used) by any chance, please? :)

15CD4632-979C-49F9-9BA9-C717F1188005.jpeg
here’s one in daylight.. only the green flashed when pic snapped. Noon in AZ. Notice the reflection on the prop to illustrate brightness... no interference with pics or vids in about a year of use.
Here’s a video...

View attachment 85043
here’s one in daylight.. only the green flashed when pic snapped. Noon in AZ. Notice the reflection on the prop to illustrate brightness... no interference with pics or vids in about a year of use.
Here’s a video...
many thank, Thomas!
and sorry for going off-topic :)

Use a short arm. A long arm gives to much pendulum leverage on the drone.
I built one which is a 80mm carbon tube. Glued a square plate on on one end and velcroed it to the battery. Other end has a standard thread glued in.
Takes a bit of testing to find the best fore and aft location for stable flight.

Here, at the bottom is a test flight:

Reactions: crosswired
I have an arrangement on my Mavic Air that may satisfy your needs:

First, there is a bracket that clips on to the top of the MA and has a thread to which you can attach a GoPro (or anything else, using Dual Lock) to the top:

If you want one where the GoPro attaches to the bottom, you might want to try something similar, which clips onto the bottom

Note that when you assemble it, just don't put on the snap-on finger protectors, if you don't want them. The kit includes the camera mounting hardware. I don't have a GoPro, but I use the bracket only to hold the Firehouse ARC2, attached with Dual-Lock, facing down.

If you attach to the bottom, you're right about needing increased ground clearance
Here's the first one that I got, which provides a ground clearance of 1.38"

For more clearance (1.8"), I bought this one.

At present, I don't need all the clearance the higher set provides, so I use the shorter ones, to save weight.
Nice thing about both of these is that the front extenders attach to the motor and antenna, leaving almost all of the arm available for other accessories, like prop guards, or Aero Pixel clip on strobe holders (I have a forward facing holder on one side, and an aft facing holder on the other side, using red and white ARC2 strobes, respectively).

Btw. If you follow along my suggestion above, use a Zip tie around the baseplate and drone body for safety.

The Air is very easy to catch carefully by hand from below when it hovers (unless you are on a pitching and rolling boat deck, that is).
At least when the downward sensors are switched off its simple. Usually I fly without them.
Once you get hold of her just turn her quickly on its back and the props switch off immediately.
The CoG of camera and strut should be roughly 30mm behind the forward end of the battery pack.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inou