DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3D mapping software

bonmot

Reactions
i Just started playing with DJI GS Pro. It seems to be a very good software.
I tried 3D mapping. I thought it will give me a 3D map in the app. But then realized that I will need another software to model the map with the photos drone took.
Any comment on a free software I can try?
Thanks.

I am doing some 3D stuff from time to time, see also here and here. :)

There is three main players afaik, Pix4D, Agisoft and RealityCapture. For playing around and a relatively easy way to some results, I would recommend RC, you need to pay only, if you want to export.

Best,
F

Reactions: Movr
I am doing some 3D stuff from time to time, see also here and here. :)

There is three main players afaik, Pix4D, Agisoft and RealityCapture. For playing around and a relatively easy way to some results, I would recommend RC, you need to pay only, if you want to export.

Best,
F

Have you used Drone Deploy?

I got a test version of Pix4D. It is a great software and powerful. Very slow, but understandable: a lot of computing for matching and modeling.

This is an oldish thread, but I'll add a little... I just got done with my first mapping project, looking at an area around my house to better see how much damage was done by the Beachie Creek fire in early September. Our house was one of the very few that survived in our area.

Anyway, I used my M2P to take mapping photos, using DroneLink to run the flight. That generated about 190 photos that were stitched together using WebODM. The orthomosaic that was produced (a 411 MB (!!!) GeoTIFF file) took about an hour to run (I was expecting MUCH longer), and when imported into Google Earth, had a very good matchup with the basemap details, plus allowed very good detail resolution (looks like about 1cm/pixel, with features above 1" well resolved).

I'm still on the learning curve here, but overall I'm happy with this effort. DroneLink made it very easy to set up the flight to run at a constant AGL. WebODM, once installed was easy enough to use for generating the orthomosaic. I did need to upgrade my computer to enable this to run within a reasonable time. I ended up building a new one with a Ryzen 7 3700X processor (8 cores, 16 threads), and installed 32GB of RAM. I may need to double that if I want to map my entire 30 acres (I only did about 8 acres for the first trial), Also, I'll probably reduce the resolution some since 1" is really more than I need.

I will comment that there are several videos out there on YouTube with instructions on how to set up WebODM on your computer. They will walk you through the steps for getting it done, and it's not all that difficult. Alternatively, you can purchase an installation DVD that will make the installation completely painless (except for the $57 hit on your wallet).

Reactions: 72evenant
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661