DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3rd Party landing gear causes fly away (root cause wrong assembly)

JensnPS

Reactions
Just a little warning. I went to fly my Magic with my son last week. All worked fine. After switching battery we decided to stick on the 3rd party landing gear as the grass was rather high.

After restart we flew away approx 150m when I noticed the drone was climbing by itself and reaching the set max height of 110m. I tried to get it down again when it announced "Landing". I pressed RTH but that did not help.

Fortunately it landed next to some cows on a field. So after searching we found it.

When inspecting the drone I discovered that my son had put on the rear landing gear the wrong way around. It was thus covering the downward sensors. This must have significantly confused the drone. After removing it the MP acted normal again and we continued flying without any issues.

So be sure that the gear is mounted correctly. Otherwise it can result in a loss of the drone!

I recently flew over a lake with deep water (over 100 feet). I didn't want to risk losing the Mavic, so I created a life jacket from an old pool noodle so if it went swimming, at least I could send it back to DJI for a refresh.

I tried to make sure the bottom sensors were unobstructed, but somehow I failed. As a result, after take-off, the Mavic would go up, but it would not come down....and it continued climbing higher over the lake without any input from me. It was a pretty scary feeling.

This is where understanding your drone is absolutely key to a successful outcome. Rather than standing there in a panic, I realized what the likely problem was. I then immediately went into my settings and disabled the downward sensors. That immediately restored control, and I was able to bring the Mavic down safely (but flying over water with the downward sensors disabled creates a new problem all its own).

So, word to the wise -- if you modify your drone in any way, be prepared, expect the unexpected, and have a clear understanding of what you can tinker with in your settings to solve the problem before it's too late.

I have the same landing gear, and tried putting the rear piece on backwards to see if it fit better. But, immediately noticed that it blocked the ultrasonic sensor. I'm glad I figured this out ahead of time. And, after reading your story, I will make sure that no one else ever mounts my landing extensions for me... Glad you got your bird back.

Welcome to the forum JensnPS. But could you change the thread title to something along the line of "Incorrect fitment of landing gear causes problem"?
There was no "fly away" the Mavic performed a controlled ascent due to the obstructed sensor.

Reactions: Cutaway and Kilrah
Just a little warning. I went to fly my Magic with my son last week. All worked fine. After switching battery we decided to stick on the 3rd party landing gear as the grass was rather high.

After restart we flew away approx 150m when I noticed the drone was climbing by itself and reaching the set max height of 110m. I tried to get it down again when it announced "Landing". I pressed RTH but that did not help.

Fortunately it landed next to some cows on a field. So after searching we found it.

When inspecting the drone I discovered that my son had put on the rear landing gear the wrong way around. It was thus covering the downward sensors. This must have significantly confused the drone. After removing it the MP acted normal again and we continued flying without any issues.

So be sure that the gear is mounted correctly. Otherwise it can result in a loss of the drone!

thanks for the information!

Do you have pictures of your landing gear?

Because there are a few...

I'm shure this is it.
dji-mavic-landing-leg_extenders-grey-kit_1024x1024.jpg

Mavic_-_Heightened_Landing_Gear_09.jpg

I agree, it's funny how ppl put the blame on something or someone else when in fact it's is their fault that something went wrong.

Yes it is an operator error. That's what my post clearly states. The Kit was wrongly assembled. So I am not blaming the kit. I just felt that I should warn everyone so that the mistake is not repeated.

Yes it is an operator error. That's what my post clearly states. The Kit was wrongly assembled. So I am not blaming the kit. I just felt that I should warn everyone so that the mistake is not repeated.

Your thread title is the issue- it should read improper application of 3rd party landing gear causes fly away or don't let son fiddle with drone without checking what he has done after....

Basically it is a no news type thread- improper use of anything causes adverse results.....

Last edited:
Reactions: larkin
Yes, that is the kit.

i have this too. in the first time i installed it in wrong way, like you :) but when i start the pre-flight checking, i saw something is wrong there. pre-flight checking is the most important thing before flight ;)

I also have a problem with the thread title. The title doesn't say anything about what you just said. The title says
3rd Party landing gear causes fly away"

Which makes it not so clearly stated that it was installed incorrectly or that it was operator error. Maybe just add on the back "if install incorrectly" of what you have.

I also have a problem with the thread title. The title doesn't say anything about what you just said. The title says

Which makes it not so clearly stated that it was installed incorrectly or that it was operator error. Maybe just add on the back "if install incorrectly" of what you have.

you are the 4th person who say this. i think he understood it firstly. he are a new guy, be patient a little more ;)

(sorry for my eastern europian english!)

Of course you could have also switched into Sport mode and disabled the OA

Actually, switching into Sport mode doesn't disable the downward [edit] ultrasonic [/edit] sensors. To disable them, you can turn off the Vision Positioning System (VPS). You can also just turn off Landing Protection, which leaves the VPS active but prevents the Mavic from climbing when it detects something beneath it.

Last edited:

Gees, I hope that this is the most serios problem you guys have!

Is a not 100% accurate title really such an issue? I am not applying for a warranty nor asking for help. Nor am I at an exam. I am also not complaining. I am just trying to share my experience with others so this does not happen to them.

I don't really feel encouraged to do the same in the future.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife