DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4.0.7 with Fixed Wing mode

John Locke

Reactions
Can someone explain what "Fixed Wing Mode" is? Does that mean no hovering? :rolleyes:

upload_2017-4-12_21-33-14.png

In short, it is like cruise control in automobiles.

Yes
Oh yeah, I remember Inspire has this I think. That's likely where it came from. It would be better to call this "fixed speed" mode. It has nothing to do with a fixed wing, which drones don't have. Lost in translation I guess.

It would be better to call this "fixed speed" mode. It has nothing to do with a fixed wing, which drones don't have.
Not really fixed speed, as you can increase the speed by pushing the right stick up.
Totally agree that it has nothing to do with a fixed wing, they probably should called it Cruise Control Mode

Last edited:
It is more than just a cruise mode. Cruising speed just makes the mode easier to fly successfully. It is aptly named since it intends to emulate the view and flight behavior of a regular fixed wing aircraft.

The gimbal is not quite in FPV mode, but allowed to drift across the horizon line. If you fly and turn carefully, slowly and deliberately, you will get the view and associated feeling of being in a fixed wing craft during bank turns.

Many people will not understand this mode and mistakenly believe there is something wrong with the gimbal, but there is not. Try to fly slowly and carefully and you'll end up getting the idea. You'll likely either love it or hate it.

I think this is mainly showing up ahead of the release of the dji goggles, as this would be most engaging during goggle use. But think it's a nice filming technique also, if it isn't overused.

I've tested this new mode this morning. It was a bit confusing getting into this mode at first. Then I had fun with it. The Mavic behaves like a normal aircraft. The gimbal does not follow as much like in the example below but it more smoothly.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
.... The gimbal does not follow as much like in the example below but it more smoothly.

So the gimbal behaves like that even if the gimbal mode is set to "Follow", and not just "FPV" mode? Man; such a bummer...Really hoped to benefit of this new flight mode by focusing less in flying and more on camera movement & settings; sems this will be pretty useless to me.

Yup, I was hoping that I could set the Mavic on a straight line at a set speed, kind of like course lock or tapfly, and then yaw and tilt the gimbal independently without that affecting the course..

I've tested this new mode this morning. It was a bit confusing getting into this mode at first. Then I had fun with it. The Mavic behaves like a normal aircraft. The gimbal does not follow as much like in the example below but it more smoothly.

Watching this video has the look of just needing a 360's and a few barrel rolls. :)

Can this mode be used in sports mode? I'm guessing no, as the sports mode switch ends all programmed flight modes. I have yet to do a firmware update as I have been playing around with Pix4d for mapping, and don't want to screw something up.

I've tested to switch to sport mode: No effect
I've also adjusted the gimbal movement from follow to FOV while in fixed wing mode: No effect.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Need to set fixed wing in settings.
Take off, set sport mode.
Accelerate to say 60kph.
Then press C1.
GREAT FUN.
Warning large turning circles when maxing out in sport mode.

ebe1824a6baad4b153eb44a51b8581d6.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom